The Book of The Law 3.36

Always Wondering

Verse 36. A solar number! And that makes me think of the hexagram.
I guess I really won't understand the solar square until I understand how the numbers got assigned to it.

Up until now it's been one way traffic from R.H.K. It's all very nice being on the receiving end of a bit of tongue, but you have to reciprocate and give some back. :laugh:

:laugh: And here I was thinking you'd banished your wicked sense of humor.

In a way this is quite apt because the following verses were, for the most part, written by Crowley himself and inserted into the text of Liber Legis after the completion of the dictation.

I didn't know this and don't know how I missed it. Interesting thought though.

AW

Craxiette

Yes.

I hadn't heard of memes before. But they actually explain alot. Especially the vertical kind that don't spread through inheritance. I've often wondered, for expample, how my adopted nephew could look and act so much like my cousin he never met. Or why I feel a certian connection to sometimes strangers. I could go on and on, I'm still processing.

The amazing thing about memes is how noone seems to have heard about them, and yet they are closer to us than the air that we breathe! Taking the "meme's eye view" is an amazing experience once you have a basic grasp of the concept. Just like understanding biological evolution can change how we view nature, make us see how we are all physically interconnected in one single, continous life process, memetics shows us even further how we are literally interconnected in an even closer way to all culture and thoughts that exist in the world. As biological creatures we are used to being "far out" in the differentiated branches of the evolutionary tree, where we have long lives with slow and rare occations of procreation with a carefully selected (hopefully) partner. But memetically we are more like a colony of bacteria living on a lump of meat we call the brain; We live, die, recombine and reproduce promiscuosly all over the place, thousands of times per day! :laugh:

The beauty is in how closely related we actually are to everyone else. It is not just metaphorically we can call people who share our ideas and values as "brothers" and "sisters". The more social we are, the less original we tend to be...for better and worse. On the other hand, the more widely we spread our social interactions to include foreign elements, the richer will our memetic "soup" become. It is no surprise that to develop a strong sense of self, we need to retreat from the rest of the world occationally and give space for those rare "off shore island species" that live inside us as potential seeds, but don't stand a chance with all the "rats" and other invasive creatures we find on the mainland.

I think the biggest "threat" from the idea of memes is that it challenges many peoples notion of "free will". Many people believe that because you want something that is not strictly a biological instinct, that makes it a free-floating autonomous descision. Memetics implies that there is no such "free will", unrelated and disconnected from nature, but there IS freedom in the sense of learning about how and why you make decisions, in other words, the true Will of thelema, which is the freedom to understand and want what you Will. Only, I haven't seen a memeticist put it that way yet...they should!

Makes a lot more sense than a lot of other theroies I've heard.

AW

It could be completely wrong though...but I'm sticking to it as long as nothing better shows up! :)

Aeon418

I guess I really won't understand the solar square until I understand how the numbers got assigned to it.
The number of Sol, the Sun is 6. So the magick sqaure of Sol is a 6x6 grid. That gives you 36 sqaures in all, hence the reason why 36 is considered a solar number. Each of the little sqaures is filled by the numbers 1 to 36. But the numbers must be arranged in such a way that each horizontal, vertical, and the two long diagonal lines total 111. If you add together all the numbers in the square of sol you get 666.
:laugh: And here I was thinking you'd banished your wicked sense of humor.
I was just running with the joke that Crowley started. ;)
I didn't know this and don't know how I missed it. Interesting thought though.
The part of the text that begins, "I am the Lord of Thebes", in AL III:37 is a portion of Crowley's versified translation of the hieroglyphs on the Stele 666. If you check the holograph manuscript (http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=54) you will see that the majority of verses 37 to 38 is missing.

In the days leading up to the dictation Rose (playing the role of Neshamah inspired Nephesh) guided Crowley (playing the role of resistant, sceptical, Ruach) through the Boulak museum where she pointed out the Stele 666. Crowley arranged for the hieroglyphs on the stele to be translated into French. He later took this French translation and turned it into English verse. During the dictation of Liber AL Crowley says that he was instructed to insert parts of this versified translation into the text.

Slightly off topic, but I find the story of the events leading up to the dictation very interesting. It's almost as if Rose and Aleister externalized an internal process and played it out for real. Rose is playing the Neshamah inspired Nephesh, and Crowley the Ruach.
To me the whole story reads like a projected dramatization of the HGA trying to communicate with the Ruach via the Nephesh. Crowley, in typically resistant Ruach style, tries his best to sabotage and dismiss everything. Can anyone else see the parallel?

Craxiette

Slightly off topic, but I find the story of the events leading up to the dictation very interesting. It's almost as if Rose and Aleister externalized an internal process and played it out for real. Rose is playing the Neshamah inspired Nephesh, and Crowley the Ruach. To me the whole story reads like a projected dramatization of the HGA trying to communicate with the Ruach via the Nephesh. Crowley, in typically resistant Ruach style, tries his best to sabotage and dismiss everything. Can anyone else see the parallel?

Yes, certainly! ...there is something profoundly..."fractal" about it...the same pattern repeating on different scales: the internal, the external, the personal, the aeonic. Beautiful!

Always Wondering

The number of Sol, the Sun is 6. So the magick sqaure of Sol is a 6x6 grid. That gives you 36 sqaures in all, hence the reason why 36 is considered a solar number. Each of the little sqaures is filled by the numbers 1 to 36. But the numbers must be arranged in such a way that each horizontal, vertical, and the two long diagonal lines total 111. If you add together all the numbers in the square of sol you get 666.
I was just running with the joke that Crowley started. ;)
The part of the text that begins, "I am the Lord of Thebes", in AL III:37 is a portion of Crowley's versified translation of the hieroglyphs on the Stele 666. If you check the holograph manuscript (http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=54) you will see that the majority of verses 37 to 38 is missing.

Okay, see, now that makes perfect sense.

French translation and turned it into English verse. During the dictation of Liber AL Crowley says that he was instructed to insert parts of this versified translation into the text.

So Chapter Three from here on out is a partial translation of the steele?

Slightly off topic, but I find the story of the events leading up to the dictation very interesting. It's almost as if Rose and Aleister externalized an internal process and played it out for real. Rose is playing the Neshamah inspired Nephesh, and Crowley the Ruach.
To me the whole story reads like a projected dramatization of the HGA trying to communicate with the Ruach via the Nephesh. Crowley, in typically resistant Ruach style, tries his best to sabotage and dismiss everything. Can anyone else see the parallel?

I can. But I have lots of experience at projecting. :laugh: Mainly of it getting me in trouble.

AW

Always Wondering

It could be completely wrong though...but I'm sticking to it as long as nothing better shows up! :)

Well it is very interesting thinking, at the very least.

I have been thinking of it in reguard to the collective consciousness. Once I was reminded to take away time, it makes a little more sense to me.

AW

Craxiette

I have been thinking of it in reguard to the collective consciousness. Once I was reminded to take away time, it makes a little more sense to me.

AW

Take away time? :surprise: Please explain! :)

Craxiette

AW

Take away time? :surprise: Please explain! :)

Always Wondering

Take away time? :surprise: Please explain! :)[/QUOTE

Thanks to Einstein, we now know that there is no such thing as 'universal time', time is relative and local to every single particle of the universe. -What a wonderful insight about Hadit! He is the infinitely small point who is the center of every sphere. As he (time) 'goes' in space who's circumference is nowhere (Nuit) the illusion of the space/time continuum (Our universe) is created.

Just trying to think from a non Hadit viewpoint, trying to get a grasp the Universe without personality and figure out what the heck the collective conscious means to me. So I guess without time would be nowhere (Nuit).

AW

Craxiette

Take away time? :surprise: Please explain! :)[/QUOTE

Just trying to think from a non Hadit viewpoint, trying to get a grasp the Universe without personality and figure out what the heck the collective conscious means to me. So I guess without time would be nowhere (Nuit).

AW

Sorry, that just confused me further! :laugh:
I don't understand how any definition of any conciousness, individual or collective could exclude Hadit. How do you do it? :surprise: