Lust Card

patienceislove

Does anyone know if this card relates to pregnancy or sex at all?

Zephyros

Hmmm. It could, at that. Lust traditionally replaces the Strength card in the RWS, but here, as with many of the Thoth cards, it takes on a much more sexual connotation, as is written in the Berkley catalogue for the paintings (included in the LWB) : "... Joy in Desire. The Lion has seven heads, an angel, a saint, a bacchante, a satyr and a lion-serpent. The woman has given herself to the forces of life. she holds the Cup or impregnated womb. The horns surrounding it are the male element. The figures under the feet of the lion are the martyrs for whom this union is an empty dream. The reins which are held by the woman are the passion which unites her to the Beast."

So apart from what the artist herself thinks of the card, I could very well see it as a very sexual card, redolent of creativity, pregnancy and life.

ravenest

If one wants to relate it to sex it is showing a type of 'sex' that is very different from the 'normal' type. It could be showing how two energies can relate in a tantric working (sexual or not). Then it could relate to 'a pregnancy' but again, not the 'normal' type but a result of that working. So perhaps, in that way, the snakes radiating out from the cup is symbolic of a type of birth.

If you are wondering about a more mundane message to do with sex and pregnancy I wouldnt advise seeking that from one card alone - even the Princess of Discs - such questions seem better answered in a spread where cards are read in context and position with others.

Aset

Sex, yes, but pregnancy not so much. Of course surrounding cards matter like others said, but I think this is a great card to get for sex because it is passionate without having the same potential negatives as the Devil or Tower (both of which can be about passionate sex, but often with a darker bent). Actually, I'd say it's more the inspiration for great sex, not the act. Hence the name, which obviously can have other meanings as well.

Grigori

Very loosely you might relate it to children, if you think Leo is equivalent to its natural 5th House, which is the house of sex and children. It's maybe a bit of a stretch though.

DownUnderNZer

Sex, yes, but pregnancy not so much. Of course surrounding cards matter like others said, but I think this is a great card to get for sex because it is passionate without having the same potential negatives as the Devil or Tower (both of which can be about passionate sex, but often with a darker bent). Actually, I'd say it's more the inspiration for great sex, not the act. Hence the name, which obviously can have other meanings as well.

I know the DEVIL can be about "overindulgence", "affairs", "lust", being "chained to another" in a love relationship and/or sexual one. So, not healthy at all.

But how does the TOWER relate to sexual deviance???. e.g. Passionate sex. I always thought it meant SOMETHING will be revealed suddenly or a change of events...things crumbling around you that needs to be rebuilt...even HIDING lust or feelings of a sexual nature. But not what you said above, so I would be really interested to know more if anyone can shed some light on the TOWER being like the DEVIL in that respect. :)

ravenest

Hmmmm, not MY Thoth 'devil' - he aint like that .... more like ... let's see, well, we just had Beltaine here* and THAT was a bit like the Thoth 'Devil' for me (or the sexual energy involved at that time). How does the Tower relate? Maybe the aftermath after Beltaine -
"You did WHAT!? " :)

* And it WAS Beltaine too! Regardless of the fact that all the checkoutchicks at the supermarket where dressed for Halloween, the kids went around trick-or-treating and the local pre-school had a Halloween party (when I asked about that they got defensive and said it was All Saints Day and were celebrating a Christian festival - but then they put the kids on the bus at the end of the day all wearing 'witches' hats. WTF?) Goddamn American marketing!

Craxiette

I know the DEVIL can be about "overindulgence", "affairs", "lust", being "chained to another" in a love relationship and/or sexual one. So, not healthy at all.

But how does the TOWER relate to sexual deviance???. e.g. Passionate sex. I always thought it meant SOMETHING will be revealed suddenly or a change of events...things crumbling around you that needs to be rebuilt...even HIDING lust or feelings of a sexual nature. But not what you said above, so I would be really interested to know more if anyone can shed some light on the TOWER being like the DEVIL in that respect. :)

The Tower has this explosive, powerful, bolt of lightning energy in it -sounds like it could be passionate sex to me! The kind where it's so powerful you loose yourself in the moment. The Tower does not really care what happens tomorrow...
The Devil in Thoth is raw, masculine power, so one can easily see how they are related and why they are next to eachother in sequence.
These cards can be ambigous, as the powers they represent are the stuff we fear the most, as well as desire the most. I'd say the main difference between these cards is that the Devil is in control of these forces, whereas the Tower is the loss of control/release of this "raw" force. Good or bad depends on the context; Are you in control or being controlled? Are you experiencing a healthy release of something stagnant in your life or is your world crumbling down for no good reason?
Maybe some food for thought? :)

prudence

I see it as sex, good, hot, sometimes slightly "deviant" sex (I say deviant only as opposed to what might be seen as "normal" or acceptable sex ie missionary position) I would not see Lust as indicating pregnancy. It's got more enjoyable and fun connotations for me. Of course your mileage may vary. ;)

* And it WAS Beltaine too! Regardless of the fact that all the checkoutchicks at the supermarket where dressed for Halloween, the kids went around trick-or-treating and the local pre-school had a Halloween party (when I asked about that they got defensive and said it was All Saints Day and were celebrating a Christian festival - but then they put the kids on the bus at the end of the day all wearing 'witches' hats. WTF?) Goddamn American marketing!
You were happy when you thought it was just innocent Christian marketing (All Saints Day.....Christian Festival), but anything American pervading your space was too far for your comfort zone? Oh, Ravenest, I thought you were more edgy and radical than that! :D

DownUnderNZer

Interesting about the TOWER...wow! Food for thought is right!
Is it just with the THOTH that this exists or other types like RW etc?

Trying to get my head around the TOWER, so if someone pulled cards like these connected to a question that could brush on love, affairs, lust, someone's desire or intentions etc : (Hypothetical)

7 of Cups (fantasies), Ace of Wands (Start of a relationship, the beginning), TOWER (lust, revelation), Lovers (Decisions, love, a relationship, duality). Trying to think of LOVE cards here, but not over doing it with CUPS, so threw in the ACE as it can indicate the "beginning of things even relationships".

Could the TOWER in a spread like that indicate LUST, an affair, lustful intentions?
Does it depend on the deck? Or would the TOWER mean something different with the other cards as a spread. (Not looking at ELEMENTS here...just the TOWER).