"Greenie" Thoth in a Green Box?

gregory

I know ;).

I just think it's quite funny that a few years ago on this very forum these were classed as faulty and as printing errors and people were going on about how absolutely awful they were, how they made folk feel nauseous etc.. Now everyone seems to want one }).

I wasn't here then !!! Lillie's first and totally favoured Thoth is a greenie. She had no idea anyone else's wasn't. I remember the day she first saw - I forget now which card and said "bugger me, I had no idea it was purple..."

ETA Found it.

And my comparison attachment, too: here tis

velvetina

mmn, yes - I bought half a dozen, from Amazon, years ago when I first discovered Amazon - to give to friends & they were all 'greenies' & everyone was mortified! I still have mine, but I know the others were thrown away :(

Bhavana

Wow. 5 bucks, what a bargain. I bidded on mine in an ebay auction, won, paid around $50. And thought that that was a good deal! My deck IS in mint condition, though...not sure how old, it's a white box, printed in Belgium, the LWB has Samuel Weiser Inc & copyrite 1978,1983 by Stuart Kaplan and Donald Weiser. The print numbers indicate a 3rd printing, but that may just mean the printing of the LWB.

Regardless, I never use it. I just like to look at it. It's a beautiful deck, even with all the green. I like green.

5 bucks for any vintage deck in great condition is a great deal!

Emily

I remember when the green Thoth decks were around and no-one wanted them - they made people feel sick... Couldn't give them away. Now they're collector's items...
It's a strange world :).

I wasn't too keen on mine either when I first got it. I hadn't seen a Thoth before and first up I noticed there were no Kings in the deck and I thought the colouring was strange, I didn't really like the washed out green but I couldn't walk away from the deck but it was a while before I felt comfortable with it. It is one of my favourite Thoths now though. :)

ladybird

Emily, my greenie looks like yours!

Sulis, I read that too about the "icky" green Thoth and laughed! I can see why people would be turned off by the green cast of the cards. It's funny what becomes sought after when it's becomes unavailable.

Bhavana, (nice, mint greenies ;)) but you have the greenie in a white box, that's more valuable for that reason, isn't it? I wonder if the greenie in a green box that I won would have been bid up if the seller had only mentioned it? He didn't even have a picture of the cards! I was the only one that bid AND I was expecting the regular version not green. My cards are in very good condition but like I said the box is rough.

I'm glad I have the standard German Thoth just so I can see the comparisons in color. Gregory, you said that the Urania version is much more faded than the regulars. Seeing the link comparisons they seem about the same to me but my computer screen could be off.

Thanks everyone for your input! It's all been so helpful.
Peace!

Zephyros

Probably off-topic, but why is the Urania paler than usual? Isn't it supposed to be a best quality possible laser fancy shmancy printing?

ladybird

Dwtw

Yes, that's what you have. The change to the green box preceded the change to a different printing of the deck.

Circa 2000, all decks put in the green boxes were switched to the same deck found in the Blue Box AGMuller printings, which were done in Belgium by then.

That would be the 13th printing of the LWB. This generally coincides with deck printings, but not precisely.

USGames never put their copyright on the actual cards, because they did not own the copyright and did not do the printing. AGMuller put/s the copyright on their cards because they are the printer. This is not quite the same as having the copyright in the card images themselves, which is allegedly owned by the OTO.

So you have an early Green box, late Greenie Thoth printing. Not particularly rare, but sure nice to get for only $5. :)

Litlluw
RLG

Thanks for answering my questions, RLG! So USgames has some sort of contract to print the cards but no copyright to the images, that makes sense. AGMuller prints the decks and that's why their copyright is on the back of the cards and not the front. I get it!

ladybird

Thank you both, I see the difference now. Honestly? I can see its worth as a novelty collectors' item, but the colors seem so muted and, well, green, that I'm glad I'm "standard all the way!" Truth be told, I've taken a fancy to the one-color version.

I thought that my Urania Thoth looked good BUT that was compared to the green Thoth that I have. However I read in this thread http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35108&page=6 (specifically said by gregory) that it's much paler than the other standard Thoths.

I don't have an AGMuller to compare with but when I look at gregory's link of the Prince of Cups (that she posted above), the middle Muller card has a higher contrast compared to the Urania that I have. What I mean is the bird and helmet look more black on the Muller and on the Urania it looks more greenish. I can see how this card in particular looks more "faded" on the Urania. From what I understand the Urania was taken with high quality camera equipment much later and so possibly the paintings had already began to fade at that point. So depending on the printing quality of Urania these cards could possibly reflect the state of the paintings in their older more faded state?

I still think it'll be helpful for me to have the Urania Thoth with it's different coloring to do my comparisons with the crazzy $5 Greenie. The Greenie Prince of Cups does look to be of better quality than the Urania, however.

I've taken a picture of the Prince of Cups so that we can continue to compare with the pictures in gregory's link of her 3 Princes of Cups. http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/missmaree/Tarot/DSC03122_zps54b95acf.jpg

I'm quite enjoying the Greenie's greenieness though, it feels witchy. <|;^)

ETA: The picture of the green Thoth that I posted of the Prince of Cups looks less green than it is. It looks much more like the Greenie in gregory's example. It could be my screen or the way I took the picture but the image in my link looks more greyish-green.

gregory

Probably off-topic, but why is the Urania paler than usual? Isn't it supposed to be a best quality possible laser fancy shmancy printing?

Maybe the earlier ones were actually over-saturated, and this one is truer to the originals. I think it was Leffy said that the new Urania one is the nicest he has. If it wasn't him - someone did !