Doubts about DuQuette?

Seraphic_Union

A book I gained a lot of insight with was "Tarot and the Magus" by Paul Hughes Barlow. Along with the Book of Thoth, I have learned much about the symbols and etc. Also check out his websites, supertarot and newtarot. DuQuette is watered down. The only book I enjoyed from him was Enochian Vision Magick.

Carla

Tortured metaphor warning

If it weren't for DuQuette's book, I would never have found a way into the Thoth. I have been studying Thoth exclusively, accompanied by DuQuette's book, since the first week of January.

I'm feeling it's getting time to buy Book of Thoth and learn how to swim. I feel the DuQuette helped me to get over my fear of even squinting at the surface of the water. It's given me those little floaty things that go on your arms. It's been my comfortable little paddle pool, and he's been the kindly granddad who's convinced me that it's okay if your skin gets a little pruny, stay in as long as you like.

He hasn't mentioned the sharks and giant squid of the deep. He figures I'll just have to deal with those if I ever get brave enough to allow myself to be carried out to sea.

treedog

quite the passage so far. . .

I bought the Thoth deck, drawn to it inexplicably. I just knew it had lots of things I wanted, but didn't know what those were. I downloaded and printed the BoT. Immediately I realized that it had been a long time since I'd studied anything by serious reading. I needed help.

I got Ziegler (sweet and personally afirmimg), then Banzhaf (better), then Duquette (from suggestions on this forum). And since this is all so new to me, I did that Chicken Qabalah thing as well. Helpful!!

So far, in just a couple of months, and with the help of AT (thanks everyone), I'm making a good beginning. Now, when I read P.F.Case or look at Wang's Golden Dawn deck, I have semi-intelligent observations and questions. There are a few connecting threads that are quivering here. Oh boy!

As for walking 30 miles in the snow to a one room school house--I'm with you on that one. In quite another world, that of Native American spiritualism, I'm not so much the newcomer. Seeing pre-made smoking mixtures for the sacred pipe at book stores completely blows my mind. So I agree with observations (and concerns) about changes in how we are learning and sharing information.

But I wonder if my generation did the work we did, thereby placing knowledge in the collective unconscious, so that the next group of star children could move on to greater, and herebefore unknow heights. For example: I took my car to a shop yesterday and let someone else replace the headlight because I had more important things to think about. I did all that knuckle busting on cars in another life.

treedog.

ravenest

Tortured metaphor warning - Cat. 2.

He hasn't mentioned the sharks and giant squid of the deep. He figures I'll just have to deal with those if I ever get brave enough to allow myself to be carried out to sea.

Like the Princess of Cups?

'The Monsters of the Deep' so to speak ... (how did Swinburne refer to them? ... fanged tooth and tenticle curled ... something like that?).

They are already present, so you wont need an intro ;)

Water / deep / 'monsters' : emotions / unconcious / complexes .

We all got 'em. A 'deep' system (like Thoth) reveals them.

... maybe that's why some people don't like Thoth?