Projective Synthetic Geometry

ravenest

I think Frieda is a genius, who, without, we would not have 'our' Thoth.

LOVE her tracing boards where she could, I believe, put more of her own interpretation of the first 3 mysteries of her school. And I will never know why AC left out tracing boards in his (re)construction of the OTO initiation rites, They are a very valuible tool.

Frieda; XXX

Rosanne

On behalf of Frieda Harris- I thank you Ravenest. Not that she needed any behalfs from anybody. Crowley might well have been the air beneath her wings- but she also flew before he puffed.

The art dealer I wrote to has many images pre 1937 and he was approached to do a book on her- but he did not feel confident about her beliefs to do it justice apparently. Accordingly he said there was Jonathan Davies and Victoria Musson who were contemplating a Harris biography in 2007- presumably wanting his images for use. I guess he declined.

Lucky Man has two of Harris works in his dining room.
He says they are similiar one pre 1936 and the one I asked about- possibly post 1940.

~Rosanne

kwaw

ravenest said:
I think Frieda is a genius, who, without, we would not have 'our' Thoth.

XXX

Yep, I love her art, it has always been and remains my favourite deck in terms of its art.

Do you have an opinion on the point and questions of the original poster:

I would like to learn more about the Projective Synthetic Geometry, which Aleister Crowley and Frieda Harris used to create the Thoth Tarot deck. The philosophy behind the lines. How they affect us on conscious and sub-conscious level. Do their 2-dimensional projections of parallel universes contain the key to the magic of the Thoth?

Yygdrasilian

Puff On This

kwaw said:
According to Crowley the lines are strictly euclidean and 'have no breadth', i.e., they are a conic section of six 'one dimensional strings'. Could the Marian Rose of 5 petals at the centre then represent 'a 5D projective space'?
Perhaps they are the 5 string theories potentially 'unified' by M-theory in 11 dimensions; though they would actually be five different ways of looking at the 'same' theory (which has yet to be fully worked out). Of course, what you seem to be implying is that Crowley may have been privy to mystical experiences of the Cosmos on the Planck scale; and thereby accessed an awareness of matter resonating as 1-D strings of energy that vibrate in the ≤6 dimensions 'existing' in addition to the 3 spatial + 1 temporal of 'ordinary consciousness'. If superstring / M-theory is as close as we've gotten to a Theory of Everything, I suppose it is feasible One might be able to directly experience what it describes with numbers & equations 'within' a mystical mode of non-ordinary consciousness.

Perhaps this is using the Projective in the wrong sense of the word for this context, but I've noticed some interesting 'coincidences' while looking into this line of research...

"M-Theory brought all of the string theories together. It did this by asserting that strings are really 1-dimensional slices of a 2-dimensional membrane vibrating in 11-dimensional space." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_M-theory
Curiously, in Constellation 11, the two 1's of the eleven are symbolic of the Pillars first visited in Constellation 6. This 'gateway' is symbolic of the membrane, or 'hymen', of the Virgin (see: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=110049 )

Also-
20 + 0 + 12 = 32
“The maximal number of supersymmetry generators possible is 32.”
“Since the maximum number of supersymmetries is 32, the greatest number of dimensions in which a supersymmetric theory can exist is eleven.” “Theories with 32 supersymmetries automatically have a graviton.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetric
“A supergravity theory with precisely 32 supersymmetries is known as a maximal supergravity.”
“This maximal supergravity is the classical limit of M-theory.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergravity

And,
32 + 19 + 11 = 62
62 x 4(tetrahedron) = 248
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E₈
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHw9zcCvRQ

I ain't no Witten, but maybe the synodic resonances embedded in The Book of Thoth may applicable for using sound to 'alter' states of matter &/or manipulate gravity. A pipedream, perhaps... but wouldn't it be a cool card trick if someone figured out how to utilize Tarot for levitation? :laugh:

Rosanne

I have found that if I spend some time at night looking at the Thoth deck- I will often dream in the sense of astral travel and I experience levitation. I also zoom around in the sense of the edges and the centre been the same place. I doubt that, that can be done in an awake state. There have been events, where it is said the person rises from the ground- but I have never seen it myself no a photo of it. I have heard that certain sounds can move items and this could have been an ability we have lost. I do not know.

Yygdrasilian said:
:D Puff on this
Rofl..I am not very mathmatical :D nor a substance abuser so flying is Sex or Dreams.

Parzival

I understand that Freida Harris was occultly eclectic, having interest in co-freemasonry, theosophy, projective geometry, thelema, maybe more. She studied geometry with Olive Whicher, who developed Steiner's indications. Also, there is veil painting in the Thoth, one layer of color over another, as with Aeon, and this method comes from anthroposophical art, out of Steiner. Basically, the geometry and color work together, creating a dynamic interplay of microcosm outstreaming from point or center with macrocosm instreaming from peripheral cosmic distances, as with Fortune. It's an amazing artistic and metaphysic synthesis.

Carla

I understand that Freida Harris was occultly eclectic, having interest in co-freemasonry, theosophy, projective geometry, thelema, maybe more. She studied geometry with Olive Whicher, who developed Steiner's indications. Also, there is veil painting in the Thoth, one layer of color over another, as with Aeon, and this method comes from anthroposophical art, out of Steiner. Basically, the geometry and color work together, creating a dynamic interplay of microcosm outstreaming from point or center with macrocosm instreaming from peripheral cosmic distances, as with Fortune. It's an amazing artistic and metaphysic synthesis.

Oh my gosh, I want to change my user name to 'Occultly Eclectic'. Say it out loud. It's awesome!

I have been trying all day to find something about projective synthetic geometry or anthroposophy that I could make head or tail of. So far, no luck. I shall keep looking until I find something pitched at thickos like moi.

Zephyros

I guess it is a lesser explored field of the Thoth, as most people (myself included) are less inclined to study its mathematical aspects, but more its literary aspects (symbols are essentially stories). Me, I can't make heads or tails of it, this thread included. If you find anything, like PSG for Dummies, share! :)

ETA: Occultly Eclectic makes me think of a British sitcom about a fortune teller, something along the lines of "Keeping up Appearances!"

Carla

ETA: Occultly Eclectic makes me think of a British sitcom about a fortune teller, something along the lines of "Keeping up Appearances!"

Yep! ha ha ha

As to the geometry, I don't even understand why people seem interested in trimming their Thoths and overlapping them to see the so-called PSG patterns. What's the point? I don't get it. Never mind though. Not really that important, I suppose!

Richard

Projective synthetic geometry is just axiomatic projective geometry. The two dimensional version is like the devil's version of Euclidean geometry.

Euclid: Two points determine a line.
Devil: Two lines determine a point.
Euclid: But two lines never intersect if they are parallel.
Devil: Horsefeathers! Two lines always intersect. What the hell are parallel lines anyhow?

Attachments

• pg.jpg
    pg.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 80