Pack with Hexagram

CreativeFire

Hi Lillie

I think I have the same deck that Emily has, with the rainbow coloured hexagram (I have attached a scan at the bottom so you can see what it looks like).

Mine is a large size Thoth, in the green box with the 2 of Disks on the front - ISBN 0-87728-452-0, and the backs have a thin white border around the edge of the main image.

Wish you good luck with the deck you purchased online and hope it is what you are after.

Cheers
CreativeFire

Attachments

• hexagram.jpg
    hexagram.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 260

Lillie

Thank you for letting me see that.

It's really quite pretty.

I think I could live with that very easily.

Emily

Hi CreativeFire and Lillie,

Yes the scan is from the same deck - it is quite pretty.

The hexagram in my green tinted deck is red but a deep blood red with a black background - its a very dramatic card saying its just a design - but saying that I do prefer the rainbow coloured hexagram. :)

Lillie

I've been looking around again.

Tarot garden.

Shows large thoth, currently in stock. These have foriegn words along the top.

Emily, Do your have this?

Vincent.

We were discussing the blank bordered cards. Tarot Garden shows them and says they were published in the US in 77.

The thing is I think the ones I have bought are older than this. Possibly the english printing was earlier, the LLewellyn 69 printing that we have discussed.
(Is Llewellyn english? Was it in the 60s/70s?) I'm assuming these had ablank border too.

I think I am going to end up with some of these weird bank bordered cards.
I don't know wether to be happy or sad.
I am certainly curious.

Diwha

Hi Lillie

Maybe this will be a case of the cards finding the person, and not the person finding the cards.........

Diwha

Lillie

Hi Diwha

You might be right there.
At least I'm pretty sure they are not what I thought they were when I bid!

But if they are meant to be mine I'm sure I'll know it.

Vincent

Lillie said:
Vincent.

We were discussing the blank bordered cards. Tarot Garden shows them and says they were published in the US in 77.

The thing is I think the ones I have bought are older than this. Possibly the english printing was earlier, the LLewellyn 69 printing that we have discussed.
(Is Llewellyn english? Was it in the 60s/70s?) I'm assuming these had ablank border too.
Llewellyn is an American publisher. I believe this is the company that had the printing done in Hong Kong in the early 70's. I haven't yet worked out whether it had proper borders or not.

At least we now know that the early Weiser edition was borderless.

Vincent

Lillie

Hi Vincent.

This is so confusing. I read elsewhere (I'll have to find a link) that there was the first colour edition by LLewellyn in 89, and then no more till 79 (which I assumed was the white box, green icky cards. But Tarot garden talks of a 77 printing.

Everyone who has a deck of Thoth cards, especially early ones could post here and tell us all the details of them, so we can get a list together.

I am apparently getting some from the early/mid 70s. So I will tell everything about them when I get them.

But I doubt that will be for a while, what with the post at Christmas and all that.

If anyone does want to tell about theirs, the best info would be

Date of deck
Publisher
Borders, their colour and decoration (if any)
Box design, it's colour etc.
Backs, wether they have white borders or not.
Extra cards, hexagram, OTO cards, magi etc.
LWB, contents

And of course anything else you would like to tell.

Then we could get together a difinitive list, as there seems to be some confusion.

If anyone would like to do this I would love to hear from you.

Wouldn't it be amazing to find the very first 'two colour' deck. Has any one even seen them?

Emily

Hi Lillie,

My green Thoth - ISBN 0-87728-452-0
Green tinted Thoth
Date of deck - 1978
Publisher - Samuel Weiser Inc, York Beach, USA
Borders - decorated
Box Design - White with Ordo Templi Orientis on the front - very pale back design of cards on the back of box
Backs - no white borders
Extra cards - Black and red hexagram and Ordo Templi Orientis card
LWB - printed in USA - James Wasserman with Lady Frieda's essays and footnote my Stuart Kaplan

The booklet has two dates - 1978 and 1983. If I was to take a guess I would say my cards date from 1983 even though they have 1978 on the Ordo card.
I didn't buy these cards from new but 1983 seems to be right.

This is exactly the same ISBN number for my non-green Weiser deck.

My new Thoth will be getting jealous, this is the second time in as many days that I have had my green Thoth out. :)

Lillie

Thanks Emily.

Yes, you must learn to love your beautiful greenies. They are very special and wonderful cards.

It's irritalting how both your decks have the same ISBN number, and yet are so different (to a thoth obsessive at least!).

I've just had that with a 2nd hand deck on the net. It gave the ISBN, and some info which made me think it was a pack of yummie greenies. But then I looked up the number and it kept showing the new pack.
So, in the hope of clarifying it all, I contacted him and asked about the deck. The answer I got was even more confusing. The box is greenish with a 'ying yang' on it (so he must mean the box like yours). But he also says the black and red card is in there. Maybe he is just looking at the red on the rainbow hex! I should have asked about the borders. I forgot to ask that! Doh!