"Ordinary" playing cards?

taylorkiteling

(I realize that this is a Tarot-centric post, so mods, feel free to move if it's in the wrong place. I put it here because it is a non-Tarot form of cartomancy.)

I was struggling with some of my Tarot reading and Pamuya suggested that I try reading ordinary playing cards to learn the Minors better. I've found that it's actually an interesting alternative to Tarot, and would like to continue it. Does anyone else here read playing cards? I'm curious what system you use. Some standard Tarot system (RWS, TdM, Thoth)? Numerology and elements? Something else?

I saw a book on reading playing cards (I think it was called "Love Cards" or something) once, but didn't pick it up then, and haven't been able to find it since. Are there any Internet resources I can use?

Thanks,
Taylor

celticnoodle

I actually started out reading playing cards and eventually went to reading tarot, because the people I read for wanted tarot readings.

I had tried a variety of ways to read the cards, and quite honestly now, when I do pick up the deck of playing cards to read, (which is rare now), I associate the cards with the minor cards and court cards of the tarot.

I think the best thing for you to do is to experiment with a variety of ways and find the one that you are most comfortable with. after awhile, you'll also begin to notice that one particular card seems to pop up as a specific meaning. This happens even for me in tarot--and so you 'adopt' that specific meaning and assign it to the card as well.

check out a variety of reading styles on the web too--there are a lot of cartomancy sites out there.

duh! you did ask what resources. but cardlady did provide some. just google cartomancy. that is what i do.

taylorkiteling

Thanks guys! Those resources are awesome. I wasn't sure what to google (I thought that "cartomancy" would just turn up Tarot pages), so I appreciate it. :)

cardlady22

Whoops! I forgot the link that shows the Birth Card Calendar! :bugeyed:
http://www.awakeastrology.com/cards/Samples/cardchart.htm

This goes with the system used by Olney H. Richmond, Arne Lein, Robert Lee Camp, Iain McLaren-Owens, Sharon Jeffers, Thomas Morrell, etc.

And there's this thread under Study Groups (mechanics, not interpretation)
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=151117

ETA: if you're interested in books, let me know. I'd try to pick up used copies (as cheap as possible) until you know which system you like best.

brightcrazystar

When I started reading, it was playing cards for over a year before I even got Tarot Cards. I still read them, or just the contents of my pockets. I think the Universe can, if you let it, tell you something all the time.

I use no fixed system for reading playing cards. It is all stream of consciousness.

Little Hare

Cardlady

I love you! I haven't heard of all those links :D

taylorkiteling

brightcrazystar said:
When I started reading, it was playing cards for over a year before I even got Tarot Cards. I still read them, or just the contents of my pockets. I think the Universe can, if you let it, tell you something all the time.

I use no fixed system for reading playing cards. It is all stream of consciousness.

I actually started with...wow, I can't remember what I got first! I think it was an Ancient Egypt-themed pack of smooth stones, marked with Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and symbols of the gods. I moved on to Norse runes, then to Tarot. I have unfortunately sold my Ancient Egyptian oracle stones and have lost my book on Norse runes (it didn't come with stones, I just made slips of paper with the runes on them), but I still read Tarot as well as other things.

I have a set of small stones and shells that I've picked up over the years, and I toss them on the floor and read the patterns. I don't have any book on it, nor do I even know if anyone else reads stones like this - it's just stream of consciousness. I also read beads - I have a collection of interestingly-shaped beads and I'll cast some of them on the floor and read the patterns and shapes they make. I also used the I Ching for a while, though I've forgotten how to do it. I wonder if my mom still has that book...

Sorry, this deviated from Tarot discussion, but I guess I wanted to drive home the point that I believe you can "read" just about anything - as brightcrazystar said, the Universe can let you see patterns in just about anything if you just open your mind.

cardlady22

One of the things I love about AT is the "extra forums" that have been added when members show an interest in discussing other forms of divination. It's wonderful to have One Place where I can come talk about any "metaphysical" subject that happens to be on my mind. :grin:

taylorkiteling

cardlady22 said:
One of the things I love about AT is the "extra forums" that have been added when members show an interest in discussing other forms of divination. It's wonderful to have One Place where I can come talk about any "metaphysical" subject that happens to be on my mind. :grin:

I can't wait to get a subscription...I've got $35 this weekend, and I was going to buy a new Tarot deck, but I'm thinking about getting a subscription here instead. I would LOVE to participate in more of the forums!