The Occult Achievement of the 20th Century-The Thoth

Rosanne

When talking with friends about the Thoth deck, I am inclined to call it the Preah Pisnulok of the Tarot world. That is the Temple in Cambodia we call Angkor Wat. The Temple was commissioned by a Guy called Suryavaman who today is considered creative and expansive- but in reality was not one to like or admire. Historians and scholars debate endlessly why a war Lord would dedicate a Hindu Temple to Vishnu rather than Shiva and place it West not East; why it is so peaceful and beautiful, why the architecture is so striking and who was the Asian Michelangelo who actually built it and how much influence Suryavaman had in it's creation, what philosophy of the heart was imbued within etc etc.
You can visit as a part of your World tour- you can go specifically there- you might even be so impressed as to become Hindu or Buddhist. You can delve into the Gods and myths and legends adorning the walls or sit peacefully by the Lotus growing riot in the moat-walk the Mandorla that is the design and feel the energy- what ever is your inclination, the temple is physically there and when all is said and done, that is what we actually have- Preah Pisnulok.

~Rosanne

Bernice

How very apt a comparison. Suryavaman created a very beautiful temple, the Preah Pisnulok, for a specific religous purpose. Likewise the Thoth was created, developed from the existing tarot, to accord with Crowleys specific approach to the Tree of Life. And it is indeed a beautiful deck. However, I'm not convinced that it's the Occult Achievement of the 20th Century.

Bee )

Rosanne

Yes Bee it is a good comparison, for the reason you have said (built for specific purpose)- but there is even an debate about that purpose at Angkor Wat. Was it a funerary temple or one to show Hindu belief?

I do think within Tarot the Thoth is probably the zenith for ideals, but the RWS has sold more and influenced so much more within Tarot.

I have been thinking about this as I am not sure you can even ask what is the occult achievement of the 20th century. How on earth do you quantify that?
After all the word occult has the meaning of ... Available only to the initiate; secret, occult lore, hidden from view and concealed amongst others.

So maybe the achievement is the opening up of occult knowledge to the general public? Or at least making information accessible. So maybe that is the Web.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosanne: So maybe the achievement is the opening up of occult knowledge to the general public? Or at least making information accessible. So maybe that is the Web.
Exactly my understanding Rosanne!

It was Occultism itself that realised an achievment, it swept like a huge wave into a wide public arena. The Thoth was swept in along with other branches of occult information.

Bee :)

Professor X

Bernice said:
And it is indeed a beautiful deck. However, I'm not convinced that it's the Occult Achievement of the 20th Century.

Bee )

Perhaps I should have used some different wording. Perhaps I should have said "An Occult achievement" instead. It all depends on how each person views the tarot. Some people try the best they can to deny the occult aspects of Tarot. To these people this is valid,each of us has to accept things at our pace,even though I dont know how people can just ignore that aspect of the Tarot.

For me I am heavily involved in the occult so the Thoth is just perfect for me in how I see things. Other people will have their own favorite decks.

For me the Thoth just does it,even the one card readings are deadly accurate,for whatever reason the deck has really bonded with me,it is a definite masterpiece for me,a real tool that I use to explore the hidden forces and energies of how the universe works. For me the deck NEVER ever lies about anything,every reading I do always leads to the right direction,giving crucial information about the subject matter than I ask about.

But even with that being said no has to accept what I say about it all,everyone is entitled to their own opinions.I wasnt implying that my thinking is the only way,but I think everyone understands that.

The reason called it "the" occult achievement because when it comes to exploring how the hidden forces of the universe work through the framework of the Qabbalah and the Tree of Life nothing is better than it in my opinion. It is a virtual living map that one can use at their own discretion.

I should have probaly used some different wording.

Bernice

Proffesor X: Some people try the best they can to deny the occult aspects of Tarot.
?

No one is denying the occultism of the Thoth tarot. It's rife with occultism, as was Mr Crowley :)

Bee

Lillie

Bernice said:
And it is indeed a beautiful deck. However, I'm not convinced that it's the Occult Achievement of the 20th Century.

Bee )

Just out of curiosity...

What would be?

ETA.
Never mind.

I was just thinking there might be something, like something tangible, like a book or a whatever, like some kind of holy grail.

But there isn't, or if there is it would be different for everyone.

:)

Le Fanu

The Great Occult Achievement

Lillie said:
Just out of curiosity...

What would be?

ETA.
Never mind.

I was just thinking there might be something, like something tangible, like a book or a whatever, like some kind of holy grail.

But there isn't, or if there is it would be different for everyone.

:)
I reckon it's some secret ceremony when Aleister and his friends actually conjured up Satan then Lucifer then Beelzebub and then vowed each other to secrecy.

Seriously, I reckon there is some really great occult acheievement of the 20th century which we will never get to hear of and which others will take to the grave...

*cue creepy organ music*

Grigori

Bernice said:
It was Occultism itself that realised an achievment, it swept like a huge wave into a wide public arena. The Thoth was swept in along with other branches of occult information.

I like that idea, the great occult achievement was the un-occulting, of the occult :D

Of course Crowley is at least partly responsible for the occult achievement of the 20th century in this case, since he was the one that blabbed the GD secrets, and in the process bought to public awareness the source documents the GD utilized which previously were inaccessible in English speaking countries at least. Of course, Waite probably did more than Crowley in that regard, as he published a lot more of the source documents without the GD/Crowley layers added, so maybe Waite should get the credit...? Crowley I think would deserve more credit for Eastern philosophy, though again, you could give that to Bennett perhaps with more justification.

I wouldn't say the Thoth deck was swept in along with everything else, as if it was an accidental revelation however. The Thoth was specifically intended as a public work and public revelation, and was created a long time after the previous secrets had become public domain.

Even those who don't like Crowley's take on occult matters, and prefer to work from older and more historical sources, I think would recognize the pivotal role he played in bringing some of this material into a more public arena (by stealing the credit for translating it from poor Mathers who in combination with Westcott should get the thanks for providing the avenue that facilitated Crowley, Waite, Regardie and many others)

Le Fanu said:
I reckon it's some secret ceremony when Aleister and his friends actually conjured up Satan then Lucifer then Beelzebub and then vowed each other to secrecy.

Or that not so secret one, where he and Rose conjured up Horus and ushered in a new Aeon in an attempt to change the course of human spiritual and social development for the next few thousand years ;)

Though given the evening I spent surrounded by the most vile, vulgar and offensive old Aeon bigotry I've experienced in my lifetime this week, expressed by people who should know better, I do wonder if that little ritual is working fast enough :mad:

I won't say who has done the famous conjuring up of Beelzebub, as it was well before the 20th century })

Rosanne

Interesting subject- so exit creepy music :D

“It is generally agreed that the biggest single influence in the modern expansion of ritual magic, and the occult explosion in general, in the Western world, was the Golden Dawn. This magical fraternity, founded by Freemasons at the end of the 19th century, developed a complex ritual system with ten degrees of initiation relating to the Cabalistic Sephiroth.” (Janet and Stewart Farrar)

~Rosanne