Tarot Parties-What is an appropriate and reasonable amount to charge?

Faeryreader

Nimbus said:
Remember: your time is worthwhile and you should charge accordingly. Don't sell yourself short.

Take care,

~Deborah

This is such good advice, one that all people in service related industries need to get drilled into their heads.

celeste

I just wanted to add a postscript: I went to the tarot party-did my thing and for the most part it went well. I finished all my readings in not too bad time although there were a couple of things that I noticed: I heard one woman say (when she thought I was out of earshot) that she was overwhelmed by the amount of information that she got (and I gave her the edited, short version) and someone else started crying in the middle of her reading. I realized (too late) that a quick reading was not enough time to explore what upset her (though she was single and pregnant and reacted to the Empress card so it's not too hard to figure out why) and even if there was more time she could not have afforded an hour reading with me. I drew a few more cards for her and that seemed to calm her down some-as they showed she was not alone, she would be getting help.
The party was for a bunch of single mothers (some working and some clearly not). Even though one of them signed my email list and I left my business cards I knew I was not going to be hired for an hour by any one of them. They just cannot afford it. I have to figure out a way to attract higher paying customers but I just don't know where they are (I guess that is what marketting is all about).

I also talked to a few readers I know here to ask them what they charge for readings. The consensus was between $25-30 for a half hour reading. So I am not going to get rich ( which isn't really why I read tarot anyway) reading here. If I do this again (here) I will charge what is in keeping with what others are charging and read for a longer time.

magpie9

I've done parties for a flat $100. an hour, giving each guest 10-15 minutes. But those were parties where the host was paying, or else collecting for me from the guests beforehand. Also, be sure to put out a tip jar and give everyone a card....and get them on your email /mailing list. It's best to get at least half of the money up front, if you can do it gracefully. Good luck to you, have a great time, and come home with lots of lovely money and additions to your client list!

magpie9

Ooops! sorry! I didn't realize this was history!

celeste

magpie9 said:
I've done parties for a flat $100. an hour, giving each guest 10-15 minutes. But those were parties where the host was paying, or else collecting for me from the guests beforehand. Also, be sure to put out a tip jar and give everyone a card....and get them on your email /mailing list. It's best to get at least half of the money up front, if you can do it gracefully. Good luck to you, have a great time, and come home with lots of lovely money and additions to your client list!

The tip jar is a good idea-I will try that next time. This was my first tarot party so there is abit of a learning curve going on for me. Thanks for your suggestions.

Alissa

Tips to a tip jar: don't set it out empty. "Seed" the jar by putting a $5 and a few $1s in there. Works far better....

If you really wanna score, and know someone at the party really well, have them tip you a $5 when there are a bunch of people around you (even if you give them the $5 they're "tipping" you). It starts the tips rolling like you wouldn't believe.

AJ

Don't be surprised if some of the guests don't realize they have to pay you, that it isn't just part of the hosts entertainment. That happened to me once and I was mortified as I had zero cash with me, I seldom do.

celeste

Alissa said:
Tips to a tip jar: don't set it out empty. "Seed" the jar by putting a $5 and a few $1s in there. Works far better....

If you really wanna score, and know someone at the party really well, have them tip you a $5 when there are a bunch of people around you (even if you give them the $5 they're "tipping" you). It starts the tips rolling like you wouldn't believe.

Good idea-thanks.

celeste

AJ said:
Don't be surprised if some of the guests don't realize they have to pay you, that it isn't just part of the hosts entertainment. That happened to me once and I was mortified as I had zero cash with me, I seldom do.

Well, that is part of my education as a tarot reader it seems. I am actually quite shy but I have forced myself to tell people that I charge and how much. Just before this particular party I phoned the hostess just to nail down a few details. I told her that I would not be carrying cash on me and could not make change so however I was paid, it would have to be in cash only and the correct amount. I also re-iterated that in front of all the guests before I started to read as well as explained how I read. Everything worked out fine-I was paid promptly before the reading and in the right amount. It was a little awkward for me to say this but it was neccessary.

A similar situation happened to me as you, AJ only it was a one to one reading and not at a party:
A friend of mine at work (whose birthday is the same as mine so I do her archetypal year every year as a birthday present ) introduced me to a new co-worker last year who was just divorced and expressed an interest in getting a card reading. My friend told her about me and that I read cards. She introduced us and the new co-worker asked me for a card reading, which I did on my lunch hour for 30 minutes. She was happy with the reading, but then left and did not offer me a cent. But I hadn't stipulated anything either-I took it for granted that she would offer me something. I learned a lesson from that.
The other day this same woman approached me for a reading. I told her " Ok but my price is such and such for half an hour." I then gave her my business card. I don't know if she will call me and I don't really care. What is important is that I established that my services did have a price and it doesn't really matter how much , what matters is that I have my self respect from that transaction.

Next week, I am reading on a volunteer basis * for free* at my daughter's high school (and I let the school know that -I did this last year too). I will bring my business cards too as well as my email list and a poster of my "Tarot for Teens" course in the summer. I think it is important to give back to the community some way-and I can do that through tarot on occaision and don't mind it at all that I don't get paid.

That same evening I am scheduled to read at a hotel-I have two prices for different amounts of time reading which is spelled out on my sign. I paid a table fee of $50 , which I hope to re-coup but everything after that is gravy.

Nimbus

celeste said:
Next week, I am reading on a volunteer basis * for free* at my daughter's high school (and I let the school know that -I did this last year too). I will bring my business cards too as well as my email list and a poster of my "Tarot for Teens" course in the summer. I think it is important to give back to the community some way-and I can do that through tarot on occaision and don't mind it at all that I don't get paid.

That same evening I am scheduled to read at a hotel-I have two prices for different amounts of time reading which is spelled out on my sign. I paid a table fee of $50 , which I hope to re-coup but everything after that is gravy.

Celeste,

I am very interested in the "Tarot for Teens" course you offer. I am in the process of developing a syllabus for a course I would like to offer for teens. Of course now you know I will bug you about it in April!! :) I will bring my stuff to show you and perhaps you can give me some feedback.

~Deborah