Promise me?

jackdaw*

Darn, just as I found the party, too :mad:

Having no manners, I'll just reach across and help myself to the hash cakes.

Thoth is going to be My Next Deck. And it has been for ages. Eons. Or is it Aeons? I've bought and sold and traded and badly trimmed and thrown out in a rage at the bad trimming and left behind in moves (long story) many copies. And I've liked and admired and been mildly afraid of each and every copy.

Do I expect to find myself on a level with Le Fanu and Lillie and Grigori and Aeon and Miss Cleo and all those other exalted personages? No, of course not. I just want to get to know it. Because I hated Marseille decks long long ago. And then I made a point of studying one, card by card, and now I quite like them and can (sort of) read with them. So I want to make sure I'm not going to miss out on anything by not giving good ol' Uncle Al a fair shot.

Craxiette

jdev said:
Always a jab along with your camaraderie, eh? In fact, I love women, my mother is one! But after sex (which the joke implied) I usually sent the MAN to go fix my sandwich and then sent him on his way (being gay and all). I used and objectified men, never, ever women. :p (You'll notice I use past tense because many years ago I chose celibacy as part of my spiritual path). Sandwiches are okay, they take a lot of creativity to be stellar and worth the effort now that I've been vegetarian for four years.

Wow...will somebody please pass the hash cakes? This is too trippy to handle sober! :-D

jdev

Craxiette said:
Wow...will somebody please pass the hash cakes? This is too trippy to handle sober! :-D

still lurking...

Oh my god! I am so naïve! When hash cakes were first mentioned I thought you guys were talking about hash browns (which are shredded potato cakes, if you don't know - hey - AT is an international community) and it's only now I see that hash cakes are HASHISH. Lord have mercy on my soul. I need to lie down.

Laura Borealis

jdev said:
I like turtles.
I laughed. Out loud. :p

Hey Jagadeesh, are you planning to sell your books? The Duquette one's on my list, if you want to get rid of it when it arrives I can take it off your hands.

Emily

I'm late to the party too.

I was going to say how long it took for me to warm to the Thoth and how they might have been blank pieces of card, I got so little out of them. In my hands, the Thoth was a deck that had been struck deaf and dumb lol - then I fell in love with the Liber T and lo and behold the Thoth speaks to me. :)

I don't read that many Thoth books now, I let the cards show me. If I get it wrong, I get it wrong. But I must admit, I do now hold the Thoth in a completely different light - not quite as chatty as the Liber T but close. :)

jdev

I am *TOTALLY NOT DISSING THE THOTH, ALEISTER, OR VELMEETA*. All I've ever said or meant to say is that this is not my deck. I don't love it. I won't ever love it. I don't have enough interest in it or its images to invest the time in it to understand it. It's just not my deck. I thought I loved it. I always love new and shiny things. I tried to make myself love it. It makes me physically ill that I spent so much money on the deck and books when I could have *eaten* instead. LOL. Or gotten another deck that I loved at first sight. I got the Thoth because I thought that I "should" as a student of tarot. I love the images on the TdMs but the pips leave a bad taste in my mouth, thus no TdM in my collection.

I feel as if I'm having to defend myself and that's why I left the thread. Now, if we can have a good time and discuss the deck in ways that don't make me feel defensive (like I'm lesser or no good because I hate the damned thing) then let's joke and talk all day! No, none of you ever, ever said anything to make me feel that I was lesser or no good, yet, that's how I felt, thus me taking a time out. I'm crazy. I have prescriptions to prove it. :p

gregory

Hey Jaggy - we are having FUN. Don't take it PERSONAL. The Thoth always makes us insane. Even those of us who Did the Work and Lived. (I have done part of the work and am decidedly iffy on the living thing...)

No-one ain't dissing no-one. No defence is necessary. You are no lesser than me, that's for sure (not that that's saying a whole lot, but you take what you can get around here...)

If you don't love it you don't. It is VERY beautiful, leaving out all the Stuff. It would make great bathroom tiles.... Join in the party. Have a bit of cheese (all I have at the moment - but wait - I have potato chips....)

And you even have BUYERS of your stuff in the thread (though do READ the Duquette, Thoth or not. He is VERY VERY funny. I also recommend his Chicken Kabbalah....)

Chiska

But I LIKED the reading you did with the Thoth!! Much more so than the other deck. *sob*

If you feel this just isn't the deck for you, though, then that is your choice. I am one of those who prefers to tuck things away until later. You might feel a hankering to give it a go next year. I have a deck that I have had for years and years that just pisses me off. I hate the art on 56 of the cards. I have given it chance after chance and every time I take it out, I just get aggravated with it and toss it back in the box.

I AM going to trade it! Yes, I am!! Really. I think. I dunno. Maybe someday? *sigh*

Laura Borealis

*steals a potato chip from Gregory*

Does Miss Cleo use the Thoth? I always had her pegged as a Rider-Waite type. *runs off to Google*

Oh my stars and garters. She has her OWN deck. And it's HIDEOUS.

jdev

NO! I'm not - but I was - that's why I stepped away. The post above you was explaining that I'm over myself and back to have fun (and also clarifying that I wasn't dissing the deck).

Buyers? Where? No offers yet on the package that shan't be named. :p

You know how crazy I am? I went to Amazon today to cuss them the HELL OUT about not having my DuQuette book here - all the others are here. When I went to my order history I looked and *I HADN'T PLACED THE ORDER*. I never ordered it. I *still* didn't believe this and went and compared every order's dollar amount to my bank statement for the last six months, just *knowing* it would be on my statement and Amazon had swindled me... alas.. no. I'm just an idgit.

I wonder what I'm gonna have add in the package that shan't be named to get someone to buy the dang thing. Part of me just wants to give it away to an enthusiast who doesn't have one, but I spent ALOTTA money. Charity may end up winning, as usually is the case with me.

Anyway, if you look at it one way, I a am a man of tradition. I like my RWS and its clones. You upstarts with your Thoth decks are like Vatican II - all new fangled and glitzy. Give me my RWS and a mass in Latin any day (and shoot, I'm not even Catholic).