Thoth on ebay 100 euro and counting

caridwen

I never wanted one because I feel the same as you about the color borders coming at the expense of the coloring on the card images. Then I got a greenie as part of a deck lot from zan_chan and was surprised to find it charming in its own way: because the green does mute out some of the overall color, it has the effect (for me) of bringing the energy level down. When I'm feeling exhausted or run down, I don't generally feel like reading with the Thoth, but the greenie seems less intense. It's my "kinder, gentler" Thoth. :)

It's the way I feel about the Original Rider Waite. Some people don't like the muted colours but I prefer them:)

daphne

So back to the subject *coughs I don't know either why green Thoths are more expensive but I suppose market dictates the price. I guess normal coloured Thoths are large so that's why they are more expensive. Though I could also do with a mini as mine is pretty knackered:) *holds out hat expectedly:p

Yes, I guess the market dictates this kind of prices. Old means hard to find. Hard to find means precious.

caridwen

Yes, I guess the market dictates this kind of prices. Old means hard to find. Hard to find means precious.

It may help to read back over what was written earlier. Apparently green Thoths are not hard to find, therefore it is somewhat of a mystery as to why they are relatively expensive.:)

daphne

Looking at that seller's auction history, I don't get the sense that tarot is his or her specialty. Maybe the seller looked at what the highest-priced Thoth decks were listed at and set it at that?

Maybe. Or it`s sort of trend, to sell it so high. Here another white box of 240 dollars!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...850827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Here's a much more reasonably-priced (for now, anyway) greenie if anyone is looking for one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thoth-Tarot-Dec...195?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3cb95abc6b

Nice! But still 6 days to go, I wonder how high will get.

Laura Borealis

It may help to read back over what was written earlier. Apparently green Thoths are not hard to find, therefore it is somewhat of a mystery as to why they are relatively expensive.:)

They're hard to find compared to a new deck -- when we say not hard to find, we mean they pop up on eBay fairly regularly. More often than, say, a Pamela A. But not so often that they're cheap like new decks. You're still looking at paying more as it's a vintage deck.

daphne

I read. They are there, I can find them, sure. But can I afford them? No. So, for me, I consider them hard to find.:)

caridwen

Greenies are by definition vintage. They're 20-25 years old or so.

They are not the same as the green box. Greenies were sold in a white box. But not all white boxes were greenies.
See here: http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

The green box makes it confusing I guess?

By new I mean in an unopened box and not touched by human hands. Second hand means used by another person. It may be possible to find a green coloured Thoth deck that has been unopened, therefore new.

I am also referring to the green coloured Thoth deck not a Thoth box. Mine was second hand (used) and I paid £5 the equivalent of $10 US.

I was therefore surprised to be told that they are relatively expensive even though they are not difficult to find.

I didn't know that green Thoths were no longer being printed.

Abrac

That first one is one of the first generation Thoth decks. It's collectible so 92. GBP isn't unheard of.

Like Oink said, the seller may have looked for recently sold Thoth decks and didn't realize they're different. Demand for greenies comes and goes. When there's chatter about them on sites like this, people get excited to buy one and the price goes up. I'd wait for things to settle down and you can get one very cheap. :)