Thoth "Typographical Error"???

Ross G Caldwell

It is still extant. There was an original typescript, complete with Crowley's hand written annotations, for sale on the Weiser Antiquarian website not so long ago.

Unfortunately my pockets were not deep enough. :(

Ah, I seem to remember that, yes. A typescript (I have a hard time imagining Crowley typing; I'm thinking dictation while reading from a manuscript).

If we presume this typescript was Crowley's last edit before sending to the printers, we should assume that his annotations were incorporated into the final text. This means that "compromised in the series" is either a typesetter's mistake, the original typist's mistake which Crowley overlooked, a *secondardy* typist's mistake on the final copy, or, finally, Crowley's intended words, which nevertheless make no sense.

I guess, if someone were really ambitious, they could try to find who owns it and ask that specific question.

Barleywine

Ah, I seem to remember that, yes. A typescript (I have a hard time imagining Crowley typing; I'm thinking dictation while reading from a manuscript).

If we presume this typescript was Crowley's last edit before sending to the printers, we should assume that his annotations were incorporated into the final text. This means that "compromised in the series" is either a typesetter's mistake, the original typist's mistake which Crowley overlooked, a *secondardy* typist's mistake on the final copy, or, finally, Crowley's intended words, which nevertheless make no sense.

I guess, if someone were really ambitious, they could try to find who owns it and ask that specific question.

From a strictly utilitarian standpoint I suppose it doesn't matter. The more "pedestrian" alternative ("comprised") works for me, but so does the more "esoteric" view ("compromised") that the descent of spirit into matter inevitably involves compromise the farther down the Tree it travels. With Crowley (at least in my experience) it can be hard to tell when he's being willfully nonsensical, when he's rubbing your nose in something he wants you to puzzle out for yourself, and when he's being soberly direct.

nicky

NOW you've got me curious! The one with the spike or the one playing footsie with the serpent? And, as my niece used to say as a very young child (with perfectly circular logic and answering her own question with her mother's invariable response) "Whycuz?"

<hands Nicky the keys> Drive on!

Tis the left foot on the right leg ... gets me every time