10 of disks is a paradox

gypsyflower

I have had this card represent the end of an accumulation of the past six months and corresponding to the lunar eclipse. :)

Aeon418

A ten represents Malkuth; coming down the Tree of Life, Malkuth can be seen as 'rounding buoy' before we go back up. The analogy applies as well on an Hermetic model where the Sphere of Earth is central and 'rising back' through the Spheres is the journey towards perfection.
But do we ever leave Malkuth on the return journey?

The attribution of Mercury in Virgo to the 10 of Disks possibly points to the resucue of Persephone (Virgo) by Hermes (Mercury). But because she ate the pommegranate seeds Persephone was tied to the underworld and could never fully leave it.

This may indicate that the so-called Path of Return is paradoxically rooted in Malkuth and must ultimately find expression there. As long as we are incarnated in a body of flesh it doesn't matter how high we fly, we always have one foot firmly planted on the earth.

Another paradox....

The 10 of Disks is the only card in the suit that shows the Disks as actual coins - Money. Could this be a link to the Christian doctrine of Redemption? The fallen element - earth - must be redeemed or 'bought back'.

But Crowley turns this on it's head in the Hanged Man section of The Book of Thoth.
Aleister Crowley said:
Redemption is a bad word; it implies a debt. For every star possesses boundless wealth

ravenest

But do we ever leave Malkuth on the return journey?

'we' ( via general consensus of what 'we' 'are') I would say no. But then, my Hermetics is highly 'modified' by my indigenous shamanism *

Rising through Hermetic Spheres or ascending via Kabbalistic Sephira is IMO a 'state' or 'trance', a way of expanding, developing and gaining more control over the faculties of 'mind' or Nous. IMO 'mind' is generated from the 'Malkuth' of brain. (And by extension, that idea leads to a much bigger 'paradox' ;) . )

The attribution of Mercury in Virgo to the 10 of Disks possibly points to the resucue of Persephone (Virgo) by Hermes (Mercury). But because she ate the pommegranate seeds Persephone was tied to the underworld and could never fully leave it.

This may indicate that the so-called Path of Return is paradoxically rooted in Malkuth and must ultimately find expression there. As long as we are incarnated in a body of flesh it doesn't matter how high we fly, we always have one foot firmly planted on the earth.

http://wheredreamsbecomereal.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/manly-p-hall.jpg

Another paradox....

The 10 of Disks is the only card in the suit that shows the Disks as actual coins - Money. Could this be a link to the Christian doctrine of Redemption? The fallen element - earth - must be redeemed or 'bought back'.

But Crowley turns this on it's head in the Hanged Man section of The Book of Thoth.

No, I dont think it represents the Christian doctrine of Redemption .... in any case I see it as a false doctrine as I think man is generated from Earth and returns there. Christianity seems the opposite - hence all its problems resulting from suppression of our natural nature.

* 'This ground never move
I'll be buried here
I'll be with my brother, my mother
If I loose this, where I be buried ?
I'm hanging on to this ground
I;ll become earth again
I belong to this earth
and earth should stay with us.

Rock stays, earth stays
I die and put my bones in cave or earth
all the same'
my spirit has gone back to my country
my mother. "

- Bill Nidjie

Uncle Bill ; http://images.dailylife.com.au/2014/03/24/5290750/nw-ln-neidjie-20140324202709498361-300x0.jpg

Aeon418

No, I dont think it represents the Christian doctrine of Redemption
Neither do I. I was merely trying to point to a link between that doctrine and the 10 of Disks. Many New Aeon doctrines require seeing the 'new in the old' and the 'old in the new'. Crowley's comment about every star possessing boundless wealth didn't just fall out of the sky. It's based on an inversion of the Christian doctrine of Redemption, which means 'to buy back'.

From the 'old' perspective the emphasis is on Virgo (the elements) being redeemed or rescued by Mercury (or Christ - see the Paris Working, Opus II for their identification with each other).

In the 'new' perspective every man and every woman is a star.
Mercury = KVKB = Star. And every star possesses boundless wealth. The implications of that are profound.

Liber LXV said:
II:28. Nor shall it be spoken in the markets that I am come who should come; but Thy coming shall be the one word.

Ross G Caldwell

"With the Coin redeemeth He."

Liber B vel Magi, v. 10

Aeon418

1. In the beginning doth the Magus speak Truth, and send forth Illusion and Falsehood to enslave the soul. Yet therein is the Mystery of Redemption.

Liber B vel Magi, v. 1