Thoth Study Group - The Lovers

Craxiette

Btw...
As the path of the Lovers is from Binah to Tippareth on the tree, this card should be a symbol of the marriage between the mother (queen) and the son (prince), and not actually the queen and the king. So in a sense, the card is showing the oedipal marriage between Eve/Lillith and Abel/Cain? Is Adam perhaps lurking behind that hermit-cape..?
No, seriously, how am I to understand this?

Grigori

Btw...
As the path of the Lovers is from Binah to Tippareth on the tree, this card should be a symbol of the marriage between the mother (queen) and the son (prince), and not actually the queen and the king. So in a sense, the card is showing the oedipal marriage between Eve/Lillith and Abel/Cain? Is Adam perhaps lurking behind that hermit-cape..?
No, seriously, how am I to understand this?

You may also think of it a spiritual evolution. Reaching Tipareth (Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel) is the first major spiritual event, abandoning the Angel to cross the Abyss into Binah is the next (IMO the back of the Thoth deck illustrate the first and the borders of the front the latter). It's less incestuous thought of as the Son returning into the Mother, from the land of the dead on Earth moving back towards the source of life.

No, you’re right. It's still incestuous LOL Oh well, love as ye will ;)

Craxiette

You may also think of it a spiritual evolution. Reaching Tipareth (Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel) is the first major spiritual event, abandoning the Angel to cross the Abyss into Binah is the next (IMO the back of the Thoth deck illustrate the first and the borders of the front the latter). It's less incestuous thought of as the Son returning into the Mother, from the land of the dead on Earth moving back towards the source of life.

No, you’re right. It's still incestuous LOL Oh well, love as ye will ;)

Aha :!: Is that what the funky borders are all about! Is that the same as the fuzzy spiderweb in the Devil card as well?

I don't mind incest -as long as you keep it in the family. ;)

Grigori

Aha :!: Is that what the funky borders are all about!

Well just my opinion, but if you check out this painting by Fuller called "The Gate of the Abyss, I think its a safe bet that the borders illustrate the same thing. http://darkbooks.org/images/books/A...nox Vol IV No II The Vision and the Voice.jpg

Craxiette said:
that the same as the fuzzy spiderweb in the Devil card as well?

I don't think so, but like I said, this is all just my opinion, I don't know anyone with authority who agrees with me. Maybe its a big secret and no one is allowed to say :laugh:

Aeon418

As the path of the Lovers is from Binah to Tippareth on the tree, this card should be a symbol of the marriage between the mother (queen) and the son (prince), and not actually the queen and the king.
The Son marries the Daughter and sets her upon the Throne of the Mother, making her the new Queen and himself the King.

The act of the Daughter sitting on the throne of the Mother is the union of the pairs of opposites symbolised by Eve and Lillith. Nuit (Heh) is divided for loves sake for chance of union (Vav).

IHVH - Hey(Eve) Vav(Union) Hey Final(Lillith)

Unite Eve and Lillith - IHV. But now Vav has done his job and only IH remains. Now the Mother awakens the Eld of the All Father. }) And nine months later there's a new Vav and a little Heh, and it all starts over again.

Unite, divide, unite, divide, unite, divide. On and on and on in a rather sexual way. ;)

Always Wondering

The Son marries the Daughter and sets her upon the Throne of the Mother, making her the new Queen and himself the King.

The act of the Daughter sitting on the throne of the Mother is the union of the pairs of opposites symbolised by Eve and Lillith. Nuit (Heh) is divided for loves sake for chance of union (Vav).

Unite Eve and Lillith - IHV. But now Vav has done his job and only IH remains. Now the Mother awakens the Eld of the All Father. }) And nine mothers later there's a new Vav and a little Heh, and it all starts over again.

Unite, divide, unite, divide, unite, divide. On and on and on in a rather sexual way. ;)

Ohhhhhhh. I finally get it. :laugh:
I am always complicating these matters too much.

AW

Aeon418

Ohhhhhhh. I finally get it. :laugh:
I am always complicating these matters too much.
I think I might have complicated matters with a typo. Instead of "nine mothers later" read "nine months later." Sorry. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Craxiette

I'll second that Ohhhhhhh!

I was missing the Lillith-as-Malkuth part of the equation, but of course! Isn't Lillith the Qlippoth version of Yesod, but the ruler of Malkuth/Nahema?
Now the only piece that is missing is Cain. Who does he get to bang?

Aeon418

Now the only piece that is missing is Cain. Who does he get to bang?
He doesn't bang anyone. Instead he gets nailed(Vav) by Abel. (The jokes get worse don't they? :rolleyes: :laugh:)

The symbolism of Cain and Abel is similar to Lilith and Eve.

Eve is Neshamah and Lilith is Nephesh.

Abel means breath or vapour. Hence the connection to Spirit.

Cain means "created thing". He's symbolic of the carnal, earthly nature of humanity. Of course Cain killed Abel in the Genesis fable. This represents the aparent disconection between our earthly natures and our spiritual self. But they can be Vav-ed back together again.

Always Wondering

I think I might have complicated matters with a typo. Instead of "nine mothers later" read "nine months later." Sorry. :rolleyes: :laugh:

The typo caught my eye and got me out of the I don't get this mode before the brain shut off. That's always good. Trying to wrap my head around nine mothers made YHVH seem easy. :laugh:

AW