5 of swords Revelations

finaflight

Hi Everyone

I read online about the 5 of swords in the Revelations deck. It seem kind of drastic to me. Daggers and suicide. This is taken from Zack Wong website
It says 5 of swords: He performs a ritual of suicide as a result of his failures.

Does anyone have a differant interpetation than this card, or a link where this card has been discussed?

Thank you

rwcarter

I've not seen the website, but the companion book speaks of the magnitude to which one is affected by personal failure. It also speaks of loss and situations that one finds difficult to deal with. Lies and slander may be the cause of an unfair defeat or cheat.

Looking at the image, by the way the warrior's hands are situated, he is thrusting the sword down and inward instead of just downward. By the look in his eyes, there is a purposefulness to his actions.

Over and above suicide, the card could speak to any self-destructive actions one might take - drugs, drinking to excess, risky behavior, etc. The blues in the background mimic the downward thrust of the sword.

For the reversed image, I see sorrow and anguish. I also see pain, possibly inflicted by the tip of the sword from the upright image. The feather-like images in the background suggest a release or letting go/letting out, so I could see a release of pent-up tension, anger, sorrow, tears, etc.

One of these days I hope to come back to this deck and do a full study of it.

HTH,
Rodney