Etruscan tarot: 7 of chalices

poopsie

Description in booklet: A lady is inebriated by wine.

Suddenly, the chalices suit shifts to a lady, who unfortunately is pictured as intoxicated. The Etruscan 7 of chalices is interesting. .. we see a character losing her balance about to fall ... the chalices are in disarray with 2 totally above her head upside down, and two others about to tumble, while the rest appear floating in air, thrown off.

It helps to understand a bit about the Etruscan lifestyle to appreciate the eventual meaning behind the artwork. Unlike in other ancient civilizations where women were submissive to their husbands, Etruscan women were apparently treated as equal and were allowed to drink wine, even ahead of their husbands. Admittedly, the morals in Etruscan society was more liberated in that women can practically go to bed with men other than their husband although this topic has been the subject of debate and controversy among historians.

Connecting this historical brief to our card, an intoxicated Etruscan may suggest a number of meanings: freedom without thought, intoxication to the point of loss of control and balance, a possible escape from something thinking that when sobriety comes in, everything that happened days before would disappear.

The Etruscan 7 of Chalices shows the possible options of avoidance, escape, denial, inability to control oneself and may remind us to get ourselves intact once again. We may be losing control of ourselves, our thoughts, or our fears, pains or success may be getting the better of us ... we may end up over confident, thinking that things are ok and therefore we let go of our guard ... we get drunk with our own success only to realize later that if we do not take care, our emotional ups may go down ... our chalices may tumble down before our very eyes.

When we draw this card, it will help to really pause ... tell ourselves "stop, I want to get off the merry go round first " ...bring myself back to balance because I might lose my steadiness and tumble down.