Tarot of Vampyres - The Devil

Hemera

Just want to put in a good word for Pan.
I just re-read "Amor and Psyche" by Apuleius (c. 125 CE) and a commentary to that tale by the psychoanalyst Neumann. Here is what Neumann says about Pan: "Pan is the God of natural existence, taught by long old age and ripe experience, a rustic shepherd, close to the earth and animals, a lover of life and living creatures-hence the benefits of long old age...He is wise, loving, natural and Psyche´s true mentor."

Pan is like Nature who is neither Good nor Evil. He just is. Some things he does may seem evil to us and some may seem good but Nature (and Pan) have a logic of their own which is often beyond our understanding.

I really like this Devil card and I particularly like what Ian Daniels has to say about this: "Any negative qualities only emerge when the particular energy is out of balance with the whole."

For me this is exactly what Paganism is all about: Walking in Balance.

Eeviee

Just want to put in a good word for Pan.
I just re-read "Amor and Psyche" by Apuleius (c. 125 CE) and a commentary to that tale by the psychoanalyst Neumann. Here is what Neumann says about Pan: "Pan is the God of natural existence, taught by long old age and ripe experience, a rustic shepherd, close to the earth and animals, a lover of life and living creatures-hence the benefits of long old age...He is wise, loving, natural and Psyche´s true mentor."

Pan is like Nature who is neither Good nor Evil. He just is. Some things he does may seem evil to us and some may seem good but Nature (and Pan) have a logic of their own which is often beyond our understanding.

I really like this Devil card and I particularly like what Ian Daniels has to say about this: "Any negative qualities only emerge when the particular energy is out of balance with the whole."

For me this is exactly what Paganism is all about: Walking in Balance.

Thank you for your input.
I heartily agree about him not being "bad" or "good".

Thank you for the inclusion on your quote from Daniels.
-Like I've tried to say before, The Devil is not a "bad" card for me; it is a kind of warning about remaining in balance and not taking things too far, no matter how good they may seem.