Gem, Mineral, Fossil, & Jewelry Show

Snowhunter

There's going to be a show in my city this weekend and I've never been to one. What should I expect, and does anyone have any advice? Are the items generally on the expensive side or can I get something nice for $40ish?

wildchilde

it is certainly worth going and checking things out. if nothing else, it will be a fun day out even if you don't bring home anything. My advice would be to have an idea of which stones you are looking for and whether you want them raw, tumbled, or already made into something (like a pendant). Once you know what you are looking for, it is easier to stay focused on that and not overspend on any old thing. It also gives you a chance to do a little recon online to try and figure out what those stones are worth on the open market. Some show vendors mark things way up, and others mark them way down if their inventory is high. You can find plenty of smaller stones for just a few dollars, and nice pieces for the price you stated, and you might even get lucky and find a nice larger size focal piece for a great price on sale. If you are looking for a really nice finished piece though, like a wire wrapped stone of good quality, you are probably going to be starting at the price and going up. Hope this helps! Go and enjoy!

Snowhunter

Thank you! I had a fantastic time but did overspend a bit. I knew for sure I wanted and got an amethyst cluster, and a string of tourmaline chips I can make into a bracelet. I also snapped up a palm-sized moonstone with tourmaline in it, and a Celestine with calcite; I was immediately attached to both of those pieces and luckily they were affordable. I also got a couple of fossils on a whim.

There was one vendor that was very kind to me and my daughter so I bought a black phantom quartz golden healer from him (I think that's what the label said). All the pieces from him that I actually wanted was expensive so this one was the most affordable and interesting one I could find.

My daughter received an apache tear at the entrance for being under 12 years old, and I gave her the free quartz crystal with purchase.

There were several pieces out of my price range that were just incredible like a quartz crystal the size of my 2 year old!

I'm so glad I found out about this show in time to attend. I guess this will be my last haul for a while though, and I'll go back to collecting pebbles from walks (that's still fun though!).

wildchilde

Excellent!!! Glad you and your daughter had a delightful time and were able to bring home some pretties! (careful, once you start making room for them all their friends start showing up too! LOL) Moonstone and tourmaline are two of my favorites! Would love to see that phantom quartz healer...that sounds amazing. Very powerful crystal there! I once made some phantom quartz earrings but I couldn't wear them b/c they were so crazy powerful! Gave me a headache! :)

Feel free to post some pics...I'm a crystal addict. LOL

(ps: don't know what she has left, or what you have left in your budget, but Delitz is having her spring sale (look for her thread) and she always has amazing pieces! She is also a joy to purchase from; great seller)

Snowhunter

Gem, Mineral, Fossil, & Jewelry Show

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427589961.769938.jpg Mascara included for scale :p

From the top going clockwise: amethyst cluster, black tourmaline chip bracelet, black phantom golden healer Quartz, moonstone with tourmaline, Celestine with calcite.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427590101.203008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427590121.818699.jpg
Front and back of the black phantom golden healer Quartz Crystal.

Padma

Nice haul! Love the black phantom quartz! Nice energy there - steady and strong! Looks like you had an awesome day - congrats on the tourmaline bracelet! :love:

In regard to a quartz the size of your two year old - I have seen a cluster in the Smithsonian museum that go from floor to ceiling! :eek: imagine that! :D

wildchilde

AWESOME! Thanks for the pics. Love the one of your incognito toddler! I think my favorite piece is the moonstone and tourmaline...then again, I'm partial to those anyways. :) They are all lovely, though. I'm sure you will really enjoy them.

Snowhunter

My favorite right now is the moonstone and tourmaline too. I just love how I'll catch flashes of gorgeous colors every now and then. I've been carrying it around all day!

Nice haul! Love the black phantom quartz! Nice energy there - steady and strong! Looks like you had an awesome day - congrats on the tourmaline bracelet! :love:

In regard to a quartz the size of your two year old - I have seen a cluster in the Smithsonian museum that go from floor to ceiling! :eek: imagine that! :D

Thank you! I would love to visit the Smithsonian Museum, I definitely need to see that cluster!