Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set--100 Years!

starlightexp

Do we know when they are going to start the pre-sell on this one???

Teheuti

I just got my copy of the PCS Commemorative Set.

Here's the text from my blog:

I'm so excited. My Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Tarot Set has arrived from U.S. Games. The book of Pixie’s art is delightful—full of color and lots of images. Waite’s Pictorial Key to the Tarot (included) is the same-old book in a new cover but with no pictures (huh?). The post cards are great to have—a very nice bonus.

The deck—well, I’m not too sure how I feel about it. It’s now named the Smith-Waite Tarot—yeah! Pixie’s hand-lettering graces the cards (not like the modern yellow-box version where the names are typeset). The colors are muted and a bit dark (but better than that horrible “Original” version). An attempt was made to make the plasticky cards seem old. To me, it just makes them look a little dirty. Although plastic coated and stiff, the card stock seems to be of good quality that I think will hold up well to long-term use. The card backs are simple, featuring the Rosicrucian Rose from the Death card and Pixie’s initials.

As to the details on the cards: The lines are well defined. We can now see clearly that the coloring of both boots on the 7 of Pentacles is the same. The difference was a later mistake. There is a green liquid spill on the 5 of Cups. There does not appear to be a stream between the feet of the man on the 7 of Wands. The PAX in the stained glass window of the 4 of Swords is unambiguously visible. There is no shadow on the face of the woman in the 9 of Pentacles (as it appears in the old University Books edition). Anyone notice anything else?

Mary

Umbrae

I love the colors.

This is a usable SW Tarot.

Cerulean

Thank you for the updates!

I'm hurrying off to check the website at U.S. Games...being paid this week, can
order soon!

Cerulean

fyreflye

It's not for sale just yet.
OT but of interest to some - US Games' listing for "Crowley Tarot" yields only a single Spanish language Thoth deck. Looks like the Thelemites made off with US Games' 1971 copyright. Apparently the fat faded German deck is all that's in print now. Thank Horus I stocked up on the Urania decks while they lasted :D

Umbrae

fyreflye said:
OT but of interest to some - US Games' listing for "Crowley Tarot" yields only a single Spanish language Thoth deck. Looks like the Thelemites made off with US Games' 1971 copyright. Apparently the fat faded German deck is all that's in print now. Thank Horus I stocked up on the Urania decks while they lasted :D
Not true.

Thoth decks are on a boat on their way to distributors. English Thoth is not oop.

Solandia

I just got a copy of the commerorative set from US Games. There's a lot in it as well as the cards - two books, postcards, prints, a bag for the cards - all in a very sturdy box. Card images are up on Aeclectic at:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/smith-waite/

I agree with Teheuti, the aged-look cards do end up looking a bit dirty. The dot screening is also more noticeable than in the regular Rider-Waite. Great set though, I'm looking forward to doing a proper review.

re-pete-a

Solandia,

Can the set be purchased through AT??

If so , could you please supply the necessary to obtain a set.

Solandia

I haven't been able to find an ordering source just yet, I'll add one as soon as I can though.