The Bernd A. Mertz Lenormand

Le Fanu

At first, I wasn't sure it was a deck, so I posted a query here, took a chance and bought it. It arrived today and it is a beautiful deck and so I thought it deserved its own thread and to be known in its own right because (a) it's beautiful and (b) it's cheap. You can see it on German amazon here and if you're up to ordering from a 2nd hand seller in another language (I'm up for anything) you can get it for 3 euros. So all you budding Lenormandees who want a cheap period deck, this is a great buy.

I paid just over 8 euros for mine from the Book Depository UK and I know that Lee bought one from the Book Depository in the USA for (I think) $12.

The down side is that you pay for a book in German which if you don't speak German may seem like a waste of money. However, you get a lovely reproduction Lenormand, lovely cardstock (similar to LoS but the cards are obviously smaller, the same level of lamination as an LoS deck) and an aged cream colour (which doesn't come across in the scans) and with completely plain backs, just like in the olden days! In terms of size the cards are almost exactly the same size as the Mystical Lenormand, maybe just a few millimetres shorter but the width is the same. The set was published in 2004 by the German division of Random House and the deck that comes with it is from 1840 and very typically Biedermeier in style. It is mentioned over at the Lenormand Museum here. They say it's from 1850 but the book says 1840.

Such a charming, gentile deck, with the symbols stripped down to the bare essentials. Slightly naive drawing and primitive colouring which - in my opinion - give it enormous historic charm, a deck for reading fortunes in the parlour on rainy Sunday afternoons. A very lovely deck I think, though maybe a bit "basic" for some people. I include a few scans. Note the delicate little arteries on the wrenched out heart :heart:

Attachments

• BerndAMertz.jpg
    BerndAMertz.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,192

nicky

thanks for posting I like the look of that a lot!

Lee

That stripped-down basicness goes right to my heart. Still waiting for mine to arrive... :neutral:

ZKEI

Wahrsagen a la Lenormand

Thank you for your review and scans.
It is a very nice Lenormand set

Now I am hesitating between this Bernd A. Mertz one and
Alexander Glück's "Wahrsagen a la Lenormand",
due to its similar old feeling and cheap price, but with coloured court/pip playing cards.

It is available in two versions; book only and book+deck (German).
Though, I don't know anything about the cardstock, book's contents and do not know German,
I wish to have the boxset with book for the sake of completeness.

:)

ETA: Change versions available according to Le Fanu's post#13.
It seems that there is not a deck only set :(

Le Fanu

Now I am hesitating between this Bernd A. Mertz one and
Alexander Glück's "Wahrsagen a la Lenormand",
due to its similar old feeling and cheap price, but with coloured court/pip playing cards.
ooh! Point me in the right direction. Might I want it? })

This one, right? Which cards are they a reproduction of?

Lee

I got the Mertz today. I love it! The pictures are so plain, it's wonderful. The expressions on the court card insets are very interesting, curious and unexpected. There's more color in the cards than I had expected. To me, this deck is perfect. I didn't even bother opening the book since I wouldn't understand a word, but it's a great price anyway.

Le Fanu

I got the Mertz today. I love it! The pictures are so plain, it's wonderful. The expressions on the court card insets are very interesting, curious and unexpected. There's more color in the cards than I had expected. To me, this deck is perfect. I didn't even bother opening the book since I wouldn't understand a word, but it's a great price anyway.
Isn't it? Love the wonky faces and *off*perspective of the coffin and the way you're not sure if the Fox is actually a rat on the Mice card :D. It has a certain wonky TdM charm, don't you think?

And don't it make you want to toss your Magische Lenormand down a well? })

Lee

It has a certain wonky TdM charm, don't you think?
Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that my interest in TdM has been revitalized at the same time as my interest in Lenormand, and this deck fits in perfectly with that paradigm.
And don't it make you want to toss your Magische Lenormand down a well? })
LOL, not quite yet, sorry! :)

I scanned the Mertz deck into Orphalese, and I created a Grand Tableau reading template, and I typed in my Lenormand keywords (stolen mostly from rif with some Melissa modifications) into a pop-up note file. So now in Orphalese I can do a Grand Tableau, hover my mouse over a card to see its keywords, and even switch to the Postmark deck after laying out the cards, so it will show that deck in the same layout, for comparative readings. I have my Melissa course to help me with some of the intricacies of the Grand Tableau. I'm all set!

EDITED TO ADD: Of course ultimately I prefer to read Lenormand with physical cards. But the Orphalese program is a great learning tool to help me memorize the keywords. Also it's great for doing quick practice tableaux without having to spend time laying out 36 cards.