Songs for the Journey Home - deck back in print

The Happy Squirrel

Hello everyone

Just to let you all know that this deck and book are back in print in NZ and available at a very reasonable price of US $30 for a deck and US $30 for a book with shipment from NZ that appear to be very reasonable (to me, since I am used to having to pay MUCH more to ship stuff INTO NZ).

http://www.tarotjourney.co.nz

MoonGypsy

Sweetie, i think this is just the mini deck...73 millimeters in diameter is just under 3 inches.

And the big companion book is listed also.

Both have been available again for a quite while...:love: But maybe some of the newer peeps
don't know about that...

Have you heard anything about the FULL size [called large] deck being in print again? That is what i would like to know...

ETA: Alas, i just went to the website...:

"Note: for those familiar with the set, the large decks of cards are not currently available for sale. However, if people have lost or damaged large cards, individual cards can be replaced at a cost of $10.00 each in any currency inclusive of shipping."

The Happy Squirrel

I have asked the creator and waiting to hear back :)

MoonGypsy

I have asked the creator and waiting to hear back :)

Hoping, but admittedly a bit doubtful...but you never know.

The mini's color is more vibrant than the full size, IMHO. i love it!
But i would love to replace my large, as i still have the gorgeous pouch that Dwar made for it.

The late Dwariko VonSommaruga was the artist of the deck;
she was such a sweet,talented and generous lady, and is sorely missed.
She would be very happy to know the deck is still loved and in print.

lark

Hope it is the large deck...fingers crossed.

AJ

there is a large one up in trading right now.

Aeric

I ordered this deck knowing it was a mini, although the photo on her website appears to show the normal size. I'm okay with minis, makes for an easy travelling deck! I love the artwork style, soft coloured pencils with brightly coloured borders for each suit. To me it invokes the best qualities of the Daughters of the Moon deck, which is superior in execution to the Motherpeace.

All of the cards I've seen online show women. Another thread here indicated that there are men in it, but I'm wondering to what extent this is a Goddess deck, as in based on the women's Goddess Spirituality movement? The deck was conceived in New Zealand much later than the Goddess decks, by a pair of authors rather than a collective of women. The Goddess Movement is North American and primarily takes from European religion rather than Southern hemisphere.

I don't believe this deck is based on indigenous Maori spirituality, so I'd like to know before I receive it where it takes its influence.

The Happy Squirrel

You are all very correct about

(1) the size that is currently still available: the size is a mini one, as the larger ones have been deemed a bit too large.
(2) the colour of the new edition is brighter: it has been recoloured from pastel to bright :)

Additionally

(3) the first wind song has been redone

Here is the reply I received today:

"Hi there, the only cards I have for sale are the little mini decks. The original cards are large (fill your palm) and many women found them a little too large. Before the cards were reprinted as minis, Dwariko repainted the images, so they have gone from pastels to brights in the mini sets - both versions are lovely. She also completely redid the first wind song, as neither of us had been entirely pleased with this image in the original. The meaning of the card hasn't changed - it still fits with what is in the book. I hope this helps, warm wishes,
Catherine"

The Happy Squirrel

I ordered this deck knowing it was a mini, although the photo on her website appears to show the normal size. I'm okay with minis, makes for an easy travelling deck! I love the artwork style, soft coloured pencils with brightly coloured borders for each suit. To me it invokes the best qualities of the Daughters of the Moon deck, which is superior in execution to the Motherpeace.

All of the cards I've seen online show women. Another thread here indicated that there are men in it, but I'm wondering to what extent this is a Goddess deck, as in based on the women's Goddess Spirituality movement? The deck was conceived in New Zealand much later than the Goddess decks, by a pair of authors rather than a collective of women. The Goddess Movement is North American and primarily takes from European religion rather than Southern hemisphere.

I don't believe this deck is based on indigenous Maori spirituality, so I'd like to know before I receive it where it takes its influence.

I am not familiar with the movements you mentioned, but I don't believe this is based on Maori spirituality. From what I can see, spirituality in NZ can often be a mixture of various spiritual heritage, creating new ones, like how most of these things develop and evolve in the world really. As Maori culture and spirituality has became (or has always been?) a part of the mainstream narrative, this merging isn't always conscious or deliberate.

I would love to report back when I get the deck :)