Deck of 1,000 Spreads

Grizabella

I waffled on buying this deck for a long time, thinking it might be kind of elementary since I make a lot of my own spreads as I go, but finally I caved and ordered it. It came in the mail today and I'm kind of just scanning through the book to see what I think.

What caused me to finally decide to go for it was when I saw a comment here by someone experienced who liked it, so I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I sometimes get a little bit tired of devising my own spreads, so this will be a boost when I need it, I think.

I thought starting a new thread on it might attract some people who have used it so they can give some experiences for the rest of us to enjoy.

ana luisa

Hi Grizabella :) I ALSO bought it because of the member you mentioned. She will probably read this thread sooner or later ;) To be honest, I still haven't found a ME way of using it. What I like about this deck is that it helps A LOT as far as focus is concerned. The colors also can help when looking for commonalities. However, I can't seem to be able to adjust the question I have to the options offered in the titles. I have already used the extra blank cards but it did not seem to be enough. Would really like to know if I'm going wrong about it if I should fit my question to the deck or the other way round.
Btw, have you checked on some ideas here ?
http://www.1000spreads.com

Grizabella

Thank you for the link. I haven't been there before but I'm bookmarking it.

I haven't used it yet. I don't have much surface space for laying the cards out and trying to use it till I clean off my desk. Right now I'm just using my laptop on my bed.Tomorrow is definitely a cleaning day at my place. :bugeyed:

I first thought maybe this would be a little more for Tarot beginners, but I'm thinking I can probably put it to good use if I try working with it a little while. There are times when, as the book said, I'm wanting to try a spread outlined in a book and don't want to have to keep looking at the book to remember what the spread consists of. Most decks will have one or more spreads included made just for use with that particular deck, so maybe this can work well for that.

I mostly read for people online, but this summer I'm going to see what I can get going in the way of face-to-face readings. I like doing face-to-face. And I also installed Skype a couple days ago but haven't used it yet.

Anyway, I'll report back after I use it some more and we can compare notes. :)

Wasn't there one similar to this but that came in kind of a recipe type box? I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it.

FLizarraga

Hi, girls! :)

However, I can't seem to be able to adjust the question I have to the options offered in the titles.

This, in a nutshell, is my issue with it. I have had it for a while, read the resources, and tried to find a way to work with it, but so far I haven't.

The only use I have found for it is for making up a spread on the fly, but the way I do it is using it as any other set of cards: shuffle, cut, pick three to five random cards, find a way to create a spread from the cards I got, and then work with the deck I'm going to read with.

Nemia

I still use it as learning tool, for card comparisons, permutations etc, all the things I wrote on Tierney's website. And I also use it for short spreads - easy to take pics for my Evernote tarot journal. I especially like the card pairs, pro/con for example.

From what I see, the deck of dynamic spreads is richer in ideas for spreads but I actually like the simplicity of the 1000Spreads. I rarely use more than five or max. six cards anyway. And I made my own spread sheets for my favorite spreads that I use most of the time. (Note to self: I have to make one for the New Deck Interview - there are quite a number of decks I didn't interview yet!)

danieljuk

It's a huge box and you get a lot of those position cards and a book of many spread suggestions for your money! I just don't use it enough and it takes up space :( Some people on AT use it really imaginatively though with making their own new positions with the blank ones and also someone had an idea of choosing cards randomly from different piles to make the "spread you need at that moment". thought that was as good idea! It's useful but you have to get it out and use it and not let it gather dust (which is my own fault!). Good for celtic cross and large spread positional markers (I always later on forget the positions in my own invented spreads :D ).

The main thread (large thread) for it is a great read with ideas and the author posts in the thread, it's here and a comparison of both here

Grizabella

It's a huge box and you get a lot of those position cards and a book of many spread suggestions for your money! I just don't use it enough and it takes up space :( Some people on AT use it really imaginatively though with making their own new positions with the blank ones and also someone had an idea of choosing cards randomly from different piles to make the "spread you need at that moment". thought that was as good idea! It's useful but you have to get it out and use it and not let it gather dust (which is my own fault!). Good for celtic cross and large spread positional markers (I always later on forget the positions in my own invented spreads :D ).

The main thread (large thread) for it is a great read with ideas and the author posts in the thread, it's here and a comparison of both here

I went to Amazon to see what it costs for the big one and it's almost $50!That's way out of my budget unless I get some readings pretty soon. I think it was one of the used sellers who was advertising one for sale. Is it out of print, I wonder?

danieljuk

I looked on Amazon and they are $20 Griz! the RRP is $26.99 and not OOP yet! it's this set. But look out for it secondhand as well :) It's almost the same price in UK £ as US $ which is much more for us in exchange rate :(