Doreen Virtue's Conversion

AnemoneRosie

I love the Goddess cards, tbh. They're the only deck of hers that I really like.

I'm still trying to figure out what makes Ascended Masters non-Christian though? If anyone could explain that to me, that'd be great!

DaughterOfDanu

I love the Goddess cards, tbh. They're the only deck of hers that I really like.

I'm still trying to figure out what makes Ascended Masters non-Christian though? If anyone could explain that to me, that'd be great!

I have a good handful of her decks. In fact I started with her Healing with the Angels oracle. In a way without her, I might not be here on this forum nor a card reader. So I have a bit of nostalgia with regards to her decks.

I think her issue with the Ascended Masters could come from putting other historical or mythical figures at the same level as Jesus which is a big no-no in how I was raised as a Christian. It may also have to do with their concept of the afterlife and nonbelief in people becoming anything more than human souls.

I'm not read up on her views of Ascended Masters and only heard the concept roughly through seeing others use the deck. I don't own this one as I'm not interested in Archangels and working eclectically with different beings in a "salad bar" casual way. So I could be wrong but that was my assumption from my days as a Christian.

This reminds me of Jessica Galbreth. Her art was very popular with new age and Pagan people. Her style is still very recognizable. Full of gothic styled depictions of goddesses and fairies and lots of Pagan symbols in them. Anyway at some point she decided everything she had done was evil and that anyone into the things she was, including tarot, were evil. Offended and hurt a lot of her followers just as I'm sure DV has.

Genna

I never thought you were angry with me, Genna. All is good. We are just expressing our opinions.

I appreciate you setting the record straight. There are some things I didn't know about Rice or her books. I always appreciate learning. Thank you.

Thank you, Village Witch, I owe you an apology. I did some research and it seems Anne Rice left the Catholic Church at 18, still being a seeker, and returned into the Catholic Church when her husband died. Then she left the Catholic Church, but is still a Christian; not an atheist as I believed.

Gregory is right, we don´t know enogh, often, about why peole do what they do. But I still define Anne Rice´s Lestat as a seeker; there is a lot of religion in those books. It is a pity they could not be tolerated.

nicky

After Morrissey went solo, he said that people should bury their Smiths records in shoe boxes under their beds (an interview with the german 'Tempo' in 1987. I've spend an hour checking his quotes, but could not find it).
In the meantime, it's likely he's said something more ghastly about what people should do with them.

AC says to destroy the Book of the Law after you read it....

gregory

Gregory is right, we don´t know enogh, often, about why peole do what they do. But I still define Anne Rice´s Lestat as a seeker; there is a lot of religion in those books. It is a pity they could not be tolerated.
By whom ? One can still buy them, can't one ? We accept them, don't we ? I suddenly have a need to read loads of them.... I think she even said once that they were a way for her to find meaning in a world where there was no god. So....

She is now a secular humanist, by the way. She gave up on the church because of their daft social attitudes over gay rights, abortion and contraception, and their constant infighting.

But my point is that Rice never did the "I abjure my work, which is evil, and ye must all do likewise because if I feel that way you must too" thing, that DV seems to be doing. I don't happen to believe that one can reinvent oneself to that degree - one is always who one has always been, even if one's behaviour etc. changes. We will always know that DV had some part in creating Ascended Masters. She can never get away from that. So why does she pretend that it isn't a part of her ? She can say she regrets putting it out - sure. But she cannot tell everyone how THEY feel about it, and she cannot pretend that saying it is wrong makes it not a part of who she still is.

Genna

By " not being tolerated", I meant the priest who got influence over Mrs Rice the time her husband died, made her think the books could not be tolerated by the Catholic Church, although all but the last in The Vampire Chronicles flirts with Catholicism IMHO, and Lestat searches his faith constantly (except in the first book where Louis searches his faith), and The Mayfair Witches is a catholic family. I do recommend them, even without the religious musings, and those are not overwhelming. I think you would like them.

I find it sad that such an intelligent fantasy was "banned". But I don´t know, it might only have been that priest; not all of the church. I dare say there might be a list somewhere.

I agree with how you differ between how Mrs Rice and Mrs Virtue acted, Gregory

RavenOfSummer

By " not being tolerated", I meant the priest who got influence over Mrs Rice the time her husband died, made her think the books could not be tolerated by the Catholic Church, although all but the last in The Vampire Chronicles flirts with Catholicism IMHO, and Lestat searches his faith constantly (except in the first book where Louis searches his faith), and The Mayfair Witches is a catholic family. I do recommend them, even without the religious musings, and those are not overwhelming. I think you would like them.

I find it sad that such an intelligent fantasy was "banned". But I don´t know, it might only have been that priest; not all of the church. I dare say there might be a list somewhere.

I agree with how you differ between how Mrs Rice and Mrs Virtue acted, Gregory

Perhaps I'm veering off topic here but...I had read that there were a number of churches that named the Harry Potter series as books that should not be read by Christians :bugeyed: So knowing that, the fear of the Vampire Chronicles doesn't surprise me. (I've never read the books but I should; I love the movie version of Interview with the Vampire and I'm sure the book is better.)

I was raised Catholic and went through 13 years of Catholic school (kindergarten through 12th grade), and I have friends who are still Catholic. In my experience people's personal views within the Catholic church run the gamut from fairly liberal to strictly conservative when it comes to such issues. But for sure there is a LOT of suspicion and a lot of preconceived (largely unfounded) notions around tarot and divination. Not sure how whatever sect DV has chosen feels about such things.

gregory

By " not being tolerated", I meant the priest who got influence over Mrs Rice the time her husband died, made her think the books could not be tolerated by the Catholic Church
So he lied to her. We have no idea what the church itself would have said if asked.

My father was an Anglican minister and was quite often asked if "the church" objected to xyz. 99% of the time he said no. (the 1% would be things like murder, deceit and crime in general.) "The Church" rarely has views. Its ministers often do, and try to put them across as Church Law. It ain't so.

silvereye

So he lied to her. We have no idea what the church itself would have said if asked.

My father was an Anglican minister and was quite often asked if "the church" objected to xyz. 99% of the time he said no. (the 1% would be things like murder, deceit and crime in general.) "The Church" rarely has views. Its ministers often do, and try to put them across as Church Law. It ain't so.

I think that's right. It can't be expected that the church as an institution would have a view on every single thing!

It d be very interested in watching the DV video though! Too bad its been taken down.