Lo Scarabeo Encyclopaedia on Kickstarter

Deanne

kalopaidi, I just came in here to add that :)

They added a new reward with no limit to numbers. I've switched my contribution to this one. For £44 ($66 USD) you get 2 copies of the book, the stretch goals, and 4 LS decks.
Sounds good to me!

RiccardoLS

It was because some pledge levels went much better than we expected. And there were options just from 28£ to 150£, with all the middle pledges gone. So my collegue aded a 45£ pledge level.

gregory

I wish the stretch goal for hardcover came earlier in the sequence... I think this will NEED a hard cover !

tarotbear

I think the perception is that LS is an established publisher already and that they are using a source that typically is used by independent artists.

Are you saying that the workers at Baskin-Robbins can't eat Howard Johnson's ice cream?

(PS- Ed - I am agreeing with you here).

starlightexp

Are you saying that the workers at Baskin-Robbins can't eat Howard Johnson's ice cream?

(PS- Ed - I am agreeing with you here).

No not at all but I think that people MAY look at it as the big bad publishing company is taking the money away from the poor starving artist by using the platform that the poor starving artist uses to fund their projects. I think it is just raising a few eyebrows that's all. Just being Switzerland here.

gregory

No not at all but I think that people MAY look at it as the big bad publishing company is taking the money away from the poor starving artist by using the platform that the poor starving artist uses to fund their projects. I think it is just raising a few eyebrows that's all. Just being Switzerland here.
The poor starving artist is still free to start their own project - which is NOT likely to conflict with this one. Indeed some who see the word TAROT may then look further and see some of the other ones up there... (Fountain, anyone ?)

(Also agreeing with both of you here ;))

nicky

What's 'inappropriate' about it? :confused:

Being a 'publishing company' does not exclude them from having expenses that could easily undermine a project, or make possible distributors think too many times and decide not to carry the book. Using Kickstarter to find out if there is enough interest to 'float' a project is a great idea, gives copies to those that donate which in turn could turn into future sales, or even convince a skeptical distributor to rethink their first decision.

Maybe. I think it indicates poor business practices if a publishing company is compelled to ask their customers to help fund publishing books.

My opinion only perhaps.

gregory

Maybe. I think it indicates poor business practices if a publishing company is compelled to ask their customers to help fund publishing books.

My opinion only perhaps.
Depends what you mean. Everyone who chips in (now that it is funded - and until the cut off date no-one will actually pay a penny) will get a book at a very good price. The publisher will simply have the money up front to spend on getting it out instead of taking a gamble on it selling well enough to recoup costs afterwards - which on a book this size is a huge risk. This just means they feel safe enough to take that risk. They now know they have sold +/- 300 copies. That makes it a lot less dangerous actually printing it.

We aren't helping fund the publishing of the book. We are effectively just preordering it at a reduced price. And the more of us do preorder, the more they can afford to do for the finished product.

Debra

We are effectively just preordering it at a reduced price.

I don't think so. That's not how it's advertised; there's no "money back if we don't publish" guarantee; the crowdsourcing sites certainly don't back any promises made...As someone who sounds remarkably like our Gregory on a tarot collecting-oriented forum once pointed out, such rewards and thank-yous for funding are not preorder sales.

danieljuk

decided to back this and get one copy of the book! looking forwards to it's arrival in November! I have only backed art projects and art friends on it before (I sponsored a friend to Mexico for her artist residency and got fabulous art made there as the reward!). A relative sells her music through it and gets the funding needed for EP releases. However some people are using crowd source sites for crazy things, potato salad recipes, a guy wanted to raise £100 to take women out on dates in Norfolk :D I can't start making judgements about who uses crowd sourcing and who doesn't, if someone has an idea and meets the funding target, great for them :) means more innovative and wonderful things!

At least the publishers know it's a safe bet if they have that level of interest before it's made!