study group introduction

HOLMES

where do we start ?

i been holding back saying i only needed the tarot ....

but i been studying the astrological assocatiations of the tarot and decided there is something to it
true astrology

so here i am ,, give me soemthing to study,, tell me where to look,, and i will be here to contribute. :O)
while we are here,,

can you please post all threads that beginner newbie like me who has no knowledge of astrology but that the sun horoscope on the newspaper is not the true astrology ? so we do nto have to search out the threads, including any threads on
1. planets,
2. signs
3. moon rising,
4. chiron
5, charon
6. transits
and whatever else thread,

and can you do it in order (virgo here who likes ordery systems of whcih to study :O)

so all the thread you post can be like a newbie astrology 101 ?

i am going now to check out the stariq, and the bob site on astroloyg posted,

umm what is essentialists ?

zander770

i take it . . .

. . . that this is where the group'll meet???

Keslynn

I think that people haven't been participating perhaps because they're not sure exactly what to say. Basically, we've (at least I) have been reading the posted information and enjoying it. I can just never really think of anything to add. Perhaps we can come up with some questions? Or maybe we could also add a section about Scorpio in each person's chart? That way we could help each other out in actually applying the info and understanding even more nuances of Scorpio or whatever sign we're working on.

And zander, the actual study group thread is the one titled something like "study group ~ scorpio." We're starting with Scorpio and going through the zodiac as the year passes.

:) Kes

isthmus nekoi

thanks for your responses everyone, I'm kinda busy right now but I'll be back mid-week after the weekend. Cheers!

zorya

Keslynn said:
Or maybe we could also add a section about Scorpio in each person's chart? That way we could help each other out in actually applying the info and understanding even more nuances of Scorpio or whatever sign we're working on.

i love this idea! learning how to actually apply this information would be really helpful and fun!

minderwiz, horary astrology sounds fascinating! i eagerly await your readings.

isthmus, the previous discussions about scorpio were fascinating, but were enough over my head, that i found it hard to participate. sorry.

Minderwiz

I agree with Kes' post - questions are the best way of participating if you are new to Astrology. One of the big problems doing this over the internet rather than in a classroom is that without questions there is no way to see what effects 'informative' posts have. It's also difficult to decide what people really want to read about if there are no questions asking for certain topics to be covered.

I really love being asked questions and enjoy attempting to answer them - it helps me learn because I end up asking myself if I really know the answer and then go off and do some reading. Hopefully the answers also help those who asked the questions and may lead to follow ups from them or others - we all end up learning something about the subject.

I hope to get round to the horary stuff in a few weeks once work begins to ease off a bit - but I will do a couple of introductory posts over the next couple of weeks so that would be querents know what the process is and also know a little about horary astrology.

Best wishes

Butterfly

For me, astrology really became alive when I realised that it was so intuitive and nature based. So many people don't realise this. By observing the seasons, the elements, understanding the different myths. It's not a matter of "learning" but connecting old dots in a new way. I thought the study group posts showed a lot of intelligence and understanding, but perhaps need to be a little more grounded and experiential- focussing on how astrology incorporates the natural world into every day life?
Bel

lunalafey

Saw this today for the first time. Have not been at a computer much these days. I like seeing the effort and interest put forth by everyone.
My comments to help in a study group:
I agree that a chart reading section would be difficult, BUT when I started teaching myself astrology I started with my chart and then to friends charts. I got a better feeling for the dynamics of astrology. How could we work this in?
I like comparing other peoples planetary placements in relation to thier life experiences.
It's that appling astrology that helps me to learn. Perhaps those with the same planet/sign positions can compare notes for the rest to see.

isthmus nekoi

Minderwiz> Thanks for offering to do horary readings (ah... what are those?) Again, your help is always much appreciated.

OK, to address a change in direction for the study group, I agree that taking the level down a notch will make the group more accessible. I'm thinking we can still cover the basics, but cut out the relational stuff (ie. looking at other systems) unless that ties in w/personal experience.
What I'm hearing is that lots of ppl want *concrete* application but I'm not sure what form that will take. ie. In the post about the 8th house, I tried to come up w/some very concrete areas - is this the kind of information that is desired?
If so, maybe we can discuss how we think how Mars/Pluto, Scorpio and 8th have affected our lives, although this is a systematic approach that doesn't take into account the holistic perspective that is needed to do a full natal chart reading. To draw a parallel, this is like looking at a certain tarot card in a specific position w/o relating it to the rest of the spread.

HOLMES, we will cover planets, signs and houses in this group. Rising signs (is that what you mean by moon rising?), other planets/comets and transits won't be the focus, but I'm sure we can touch upon them. My concern now is, if we squeeze too much in, we'll lose focus.

Keslynn, thanks very much for your intro posts!!!

Butterfly, I totally agree about your comments on astrology. I see any given system as a satellite reflecting the center; each one w/its own perspective.

Finally, I hope I didn't come off as accusatory w/my earlier post as that was never my intention. However, I really did mean it when I said I couldn't tackle the information here alone! Again, the offer to look into Mars; the areas Mars controls, the nature of Mars energy etc. is out for grabs.

Cheers!
Isthmus

p.s. 'essentialist' is a pretty negative term these days re: theories. It basically describes a rigid interpretation, or theory, often subscribing to a naturalistic fallacy.

isthmus nekoi

redirection

There seems to be a greater interest here in learning how to interpret a chart than focusing solely on the actual 'building blocks' of chart. I'm wondering if y'all would like a restructuring of the group. Instead of exploring other systems, or getting very technical, perhaps we can break it down to 1) introductory meanings, keywords and such, and then 2) application esp in terms of a natal chart interpretation. This will be a 'lighter' approach although this lends to learning aspects as well. Maybe this can be dealt w/in a different thread. Perhaps later on in the group (much later I'm thinking), we can introduce other concepts like nodes, eclipses, transits etc.

Granted, this doesn't mean we have to throw the baby out w/the bath water. I learned a lot researching into the practical areas that the 8th house deals w/and I think similar posts for other houses would be easily translated into a natal chart interpretation.

My only concern is that doing this by sign/planet/house is limiting. For example, we might a thing or two about the 8th house now, and have a grip on Pluto, but what are we to do about interpreting Pluto in say, Libra in the 12th house since we won't cover that sign/house until later? What about Venus in Scorpio since we haven't studied Venus yet? Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Pls tell me what you guys think (if you're still there!)