A 'deep' dark deck?..

dancing_moon

I just wanted to say I love this thread. I can't help you (sadly) but I know exactly what you mean! Most "dark" decks out there use more obvious imagery like vampires and corset-clad ladies but the ones that don't are often too "light" for me. I like things that are dark but not in a "dark fantasy" kind of way.

I think you might enjoy the Bosch Tarot. I wouldn't consider it particularly dark but it's sort of eerie in a way that is more psychologically unsettling than in-your-face gore and fangs. Other than that, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread!

Thanks for your interest! :) I love Bosch's art, and this deck looks very interesting. Have you actually read with it? How does it 'behave' in readings?

FraterGrant

I'm still looking at the Thoth from some distance. It looks a little too wild for me (for the nowadays me, anyway :D). It might change some day, though.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

May I ask why you are taking this stance toward the Thoth? what exactly do you mean by 'wild'? Have you tried reading with it or learning with it or is it the Crowley stuff that gives you the heebie jeebies?

dancing_moon

May I ask why you are taking this stance toward the Thoth? what exactly do you mean by 'wild'? Have you tried reading with it or learning with it or is it the Crowley stuff that gives you the heebie jeebies?

It's the Crowley stuff in a way, but mostly because I don't feel called by this deck, which is very important to me.

By 'wild' I mean exactly that - wild. :D The images - again, to me - look quite messy, and they tell me nothing at this stage of my life. I'm sure it's a great deck, there are lots of people who love it, use it, and think it's the best deck ever. But I don't feel drawn to even try learning it. I'm sure there are such decks for you as well, so hope it makes sense. :)

Chimera Dust

Thanks for your interest! :) I love Bosch's art, and this deck looks very interesting. Have you actually read with it? How does it 'behave' in readings?

I haven't gotten it yet but I want to as soon as I can. I'll post about it when I buy it! :)

KristinCali

I'm quite happy to see this thread! Just the other day I was in a bad mood and none of my decks seemed right for the moment. I realized I don't have a dark deck! I avoided dark decks because like @dancing_moon said, they all seemed shallow and "vampirey".

After reading every page, I like Dark Grimoire best. Ludy Lescot might be an option but the characters seem to be stereotypically young and good looking.

Keep the suggestions coming!

AJ

It's the Crowley stuff in a way, but mostly because I don't feel called by this deck, which is very important to me.

Crowley was nothing but a silly frat boy compared to today's real monsters...Any front page will have terrors that put Crowley's nurtured reputation to sleep.

dancing_moon

Ludy Lescot might be an option but the characters seem to be stereotypically young and good looking.

You've nailed it for me. :D I was wondering why I was a bit reluctant about this deck.

Hey @dancing_moon Universal Fantasy is one of my faves too!! There's a study group here for that deck...

:D I'm really enjoying your posts in this study group. Hope to have more time to study it with you soon!

Crowley was nothing but a silly frat boy compared to today's real monsters...Any front page will have terrors that put Crowley's nurtured reputation to sleep.

I have to agree with you on that one. :) But, like I said, it's not so much about his reputation.