About the Tarot of the Saints

NightWing

Gnostic, not Catholic.

If this is the Robert Place deck being discussed, the Tarot of the Saints, then some people might be confusing things a bit. This is NOT a Catholic deck in any sense. The word "Gnostic" is part of the full title, and amongst other things (like a very different worldview), Gnostics believe in a different understanding of God, creation, evil, etc. than do Catholics. Gnostic scriptures are different from main-line Christianity. The Gnostic understanding of "gnosis" (knowing) is distinctly different as a type of mystical experience as well. You should know that the Gnostics were condemned as heretics in the early centuries of Christianity. Which means that the understanding and use of tarot differs from that of conventional Christians too.

If the Gnostic "Tarot of the Saints" is not working for you, or seems strange, you should re-examine your assumptions about it, and read a bit about Gnostic Christianity. Then try it again. IMHO, R. Place has created too lovely a deck to be discarded because of a misunderstanding of either its roots or inspiration.

ncefafn

Then it's bad marketing. A Catholic or former Catholic sees "Tarot of the Saints," they're going to think it's based on Catholic hagiography, not some extinct sect of Christianity, simply because Catholicism is the only active Christian sect which recognizes and venerates saints. What it should have been called, then, is "The Gnostic Tarot," or something similar.

Thanks for your advice. If you like the deck that much, you're welcome to visit my thread on trading it, at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36303

SongDeva

Blue Lotus, if he isn't really using it, maybe he wouldn't mind giving it back to you.

I love this deck! I love Robert Place. I've never been a Catholic (just to show my perspective). A good buddy of mine is picking this up in a trade and I'm pleased for her. Place's art is so evocative for me.

2 Thumbs Up!

Keslynn

I love this deck, and I was raised Protestant and am now pagan! I think that this deck is enjoyable, even if you don't really believe in the saints. I personally find their stories fascinating. They're great dramas as well as being historically interesting. Knowing about many of these saints will plug you right into history even if it doesn't turn you on faith-wise. Also, if you get familiar with them, you'll be able to impress people in art museums because you'll be able to recognize the saints without needing to read the tags.

:) Kes

rachelcat

Gnosis = Wisdom = High Priestess

I have always feared that my tarot interest would turn me into and art snob! (Just kidding. It's great to know about art before you go to the museum. Then the pictures can really grab you!)

So, since this is a Gnostic deck, don't keep me in suspense! Who is depicted as the High Priestess?

tarobones

gnostic

Don't you just love the book? "A Gnostic Book of Saints" and of course the deck is awesomely beautiful, I believe, as are all of his works. He is also in the midst of another deck ... don't remember the name, "sevenfold mystery" or something, but I know it will be awesome when its ready.

I have the Alchemical and the Tarot of the Saints and I really enjoy both. His books are some of the best that accompany a deck. It's well worth the purchase, IMHO.

Peace and blessings to all............
Michael

tarobones

Trump II Papesse

The High Priestess, The Papesse in this deck, is St. Mary Magdalen, as the book says "the embodiment of Sophia, the holy wisdom, the female aspect of God" (p. 73). BB, Michael

NightWing

But Gnostics Are Alive!

"Tarot of the Saints" as a Gnostic Christian tarot is NOT based on some "extinct Christian sect". Earlier on, I mentioned that they were condemned as heretical by the early Christian (mainline) Church, but that was not to imply that they then vanished entirely. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. There are Gnostic Christians alive and well in America today, albeit in fairly small numbers, compared to Baptists, for example.

As I think tarobones mentioned above, the book that comes with the set is clearly labeled "A Book of Gnostic Saints". Perhaps the label on the box should have been more clear. Ah, well. Place and his publisher were nearly perfect.

Myrrha

Why is Mary the moon in this deck? Does it have to do with how Gnostics understand her and her role? Could someone explain a little about this card for those of us who don't have the deck? thanks!

I used to have the Angels Tarot but traded it. Sometimes I miss it.

--Myrrha

NightWing

The Moon & Mary

The origins of this connection between Mary and the Moon are biblical. It stems from part of a vision of St. John on the isle of Patmos, recorded in the New Testament book of Revelation. Check Revelation chapter 12, verse 1, and thereafter. For Gnostics, Catholics, and the Orthodox, this is believed to refer to Mary. She is "the great sign that appeared in the sky".

That's a starting point, anyway.
All the best.