LGAL Cosmos Tarot - Magician/Aries

JDusk

Image: A person with large ram horns, a fleecy white vest, two reddish dart-shaped tattoos, and some kind of pouch on his hip is crouching on the branch of a cherry blossom tree (I think), hands ready to catch a small lamb that’s approaching him from a higher branch. Two birds are perched on the horns. The tree is covered with colorful pink flowers around these figures, but a couple other birds are perched on higher branches which look completely barren. It even looks like it’s snowing up there. In the background below, there is green grass spotted with sunlight, fallen blooms, and the trunks of other trees – it looks like an orchard.

Keywords: Leadership, impulse, the first, opportunity.

Element: Fire.

Visual analysis: I first thought the person was the main character here, representing Aries, being courageous and bold and climbing up a tree to rescue something. But what on earth is a tiny lamb doing in a high tree branch? There’s something strange and magical about that. My attention is also drawn to the pattern of blooming on the tree, like the Magician is bringing the tree to life despite the wintery atmosphere above. It’s also interesting that no treetops are visible above the branch the person sits on – this could be due to surrounding trees being particularly short or downhill, but it looks like a different place above, like a portal into a different season (especially as there’s no snow on the ground and the grass seems green and vibrant). These figures are sitting between the seasons then, or even able to move between them with ease. There is a balance of elements, then, as well as the literal balance required in climbing those branches. And the lamb, born on the cusp of winter and spring, is visually entering spring.

For some reason I had it in my head that rams were a kind of mountain goat. But they are male sheep, so this lamb could be a ram when it grows up. So this really seems to be a scene of transition, from winter to spring and from lamb to ram. I suspect the true energy of this Magician, then, is in Spring, and forces of creation, growth, wonder, manifestation. The pouch on the belt makes me think of being prepared, of being able to plan ahead and bring needed resources with you, so there is some maturity here as well. And of course there is an aspect of compassion or lending a helping hand.

Not sure what the tattoos are about - they seem significant but I can't place the symbolism.

Reversed, it looks more like winter is creeping up, so maybe dormancy is in play, or feeling stuck and unable to make your efforts bloom.

As Aries: I see the daring, spontaneous, and spirited descriptors in both figures. But a lot of these keywords – leadership and opportunity especially – I don’t feel here as strongly. But I do see the passion of a fire sign.

As the Magician: The Spring energy I mentioned above feels very appropriate to me. Skill is shown through that little lamb successfully navigating the branches. There isn’t the same level of showmanship, but there is the Magician’s magnetism – birds are flocking to the ram, blooms are perhaps coaxed out of dormancy, the enterprising lamb willingly approaches him. The traditional white and red symbolism are in play as well, with the white fleece and red tattoos and bandanna. And, technically, with the pink blooms being the midpoint between these colors.

Penthasilia

Intuitive thoughts

First of all- this is one of those beautiful cards in the deck- I do love the deck, but there are some images that are simply stunning- this is one of them

Oh so sweet magician- I do see the idea of leadership here- the hands out to the small lamb, I can almost hear him whisper, "It's ok, you won't fall, I remember the first time I was up here and afraid, and you will be fine- I am here to catch you just in case."

I also love the idea of the magnolia tree- as the flowers are definitely a feminine symbol. Here we have the masculine aries in a feminine surrounding- the true magician who has mastered both the masculine and feminine, the yin and yang. Is there any magic that is more powerful than this? Controlling the elements (magicians of other decks) has nothing on this guy! It is such a beautiful juxtaposition- the fiery aries amid the soft magnolia in a spring setting helping the small lamb. I really cannot find words to describe the feeling this invokes in me- other than a profound sense of rightness- as if this is the ideal to strive for within a world that is so polarized.

The First- the keyword makes sense- as you get an understanding that he was the first to do this- climb this beautiful tree of femininity to gain this profound lesson- and he is now helping the next generation to do it. The positive aspect of the Aries sign- that it is willing to go forward on adventures that have not been done before.

Impulse- the lamb, it felt the calling to go up, to learn. The Aries going up to assist.

Opportunity- the opportunity for growth that occurs when you are open to the possibility of change. Spring is a big season for change- and so that piece also plays into the general theme.

There is also a cyclical nature to the card- showing the stages of enlightenment- from the adult male who has mastered the lesson, to the lamb who is just beginning the journey- and the assistance we can receive from those who have walked before us.

The beauty of the card/art, the lesson, and the fact that magnolia trees are my absolute favorite and have brought me such a connection to home that I forever will have that soft spot.

Reversed- when you flip the card, here I see the downfalls of the fire/Aries combination- it almost looks like instead of helping the lamb, his lack of thinking and quick acting will cause it to fall out of the tree! All the blossoms are above him when reversed, and bare branches sit at the head he is about to fall on. This is Aries at its least positive- bold without thinking and so worsening a situation instead of helping it, thinking they are being courageous, but not recognizing that sometimes caution and forethought can actually be a good thing. It is pretty dramatic how differently the reversal makes the picture and feel of this card change.

JDusk

Oh, I'm glad you pointed out it's a magnolia! I just did a bit of research, and apparently magnolias were one of the first flowering plants to evolve, bringing it back to that keyword "the first" - and fossils of magnolias 100 million years old are still recognizable as magnolias, which is very cool. So there is some stability and tradition supporting this fiery character.

The femininity you pointed out is definitely an important element here. The Magician is always one of my favorite cards in theory, but in practice there is so often a masculine rigidity about it, and here it is balanced out. It is definitely a beautiful and unique card.

Opportunity- the opportunity for growth that occurs when you are open to the possibility of change. Spring is a big season for change- and so that piece also plays into the general theme.

I really like this. I had been thinking about opportunity in a more material sense when I tried to apply it to this card, or in the sense of action or being opportunistic, but this interpretation sounds much more appropriate for this image.

Penthasilia

Yes! And think of the stability of the idea of the magician- in its purest form it is all the magic we see when spring arrives and that ancient tree the magnolia blooms. A world dead from winter, miraculously coming to life. A magician, seemingly an ordinary person, creating a fantastical change. I really do love this card- the magnolia tree was the first thing that hit me and I absolutely fell in love with it- this was one of the signature cards that led me to get the deck. :)