LGAL Cosmos Tarot - Hierophant/Taurus

JDusk

Image: A voluptuous red female figure, with one glowing eye and blackened head and legs, is surrounded by blue figures: two floating above her touching her shoulders with legs and backs curved like the symbolic Taurus horns, and seven holding themselves up by grasping her or supporting her from below. She is rising above the sea, which is comprised of enormous waves that dwarf the dark landscape barely visible on the right. There are indistinct clouds surrounding the central figures. While the bottom of the image is dark – eclipsed, even – there is a light growing behind the figures, brightening the sky. Note: The online image shows a crescent moon between the “horns,” but in the card this is obscured by the title.

Keywords: Traditional philosophies, practice, systems, ownership

Element: Earth

Analysis: The artist’s website says this image features “the red giant star Aldebaran, crowned by the Pleiades and the Hyades,” referring to the star clusters around the stars in Taurus. The Hyades are the two crowning figures, and the Pleiades are below. They seem to be flocking to Aldebaran, both supporting and clinging to, like she is the center of everything – like a force of gravity or magnetism. The waves and clouds are also parting around her. I get a strong sense of centrality as a result – this is what the world is revolving around.

Aldebaran appears like a primordial mother goddess. The indistinct clouds turning into sea, the enormous, unworldly waves swallowing (or giving way to?) land. Interestingly, while there is land, water, sky, and fire (as a star) here, a balance of elements, earth seems the least present, but that is the element that is said to rule this card. This then feels more like “earth” in the planetary sense – the creation of the earth. However, the stability that is manifesting here, after a presumably chaotic past, also speaks to the qualities of earth.

As Taurus: Well, this isn’t a traditional Taurus at all, and even as a Taurus myself it’s honestly making me go “huh?” a little, but when the guidebook refers to a “connection to traditional philosophies, time-honored practice and ritual,” I can see this as being time-honored ritual… the figures surrounding Aldebaran feel worshipful. But that's also very much a Hierophant quality. And I get the sense that stability is being brought about, even if it's not currently present.

As Hierophant: My perception of this as a mother-deity, emerging from “primordial soup,” speaks to creating order out of chaos. The act of creating or building a world is in some ways like organized religion – creating rules, order, structure, and hierarchies to underlying abstract (spiritual) concepts. Seeing this figure as the mother also makes me consider the figures surrounding her could be her children—a matriarchal take on the patriarchal structure of RWS. As I mentioned, this feels very centralized, like she is the locus of power and the world is revolving around her.

Connections: We just saw the Emperor, who I see as the sun. Here, Aldebaran is an enormous sun. While the Emperor/Leo is a broad concept, alone, a ruling power with little connection to anything else – shown in an almost egocentric composition – Hierophant/Taurus is seen actively shaping the world to her will. We are positioning this solar power in the greater scheme of things now.

Penthasilia

The Hierophant- intuitive thoughts.

Though there are breasts- this to me is a very androgynous figure. There is a definite male quality to it- the shrouded face and neck- the stance, mixed with female breasts and a glowing red belly. Surrounded by light dancing figures- while it sits, almost in the shadows.

Oh yes- I see traditional philosophies here- time honored traditions and dogma/godma that is being held in a worshipful state yet the truth behind it lies in obscurity.

Practice and systems- again- standing on high, the apex of the waves of a stormy sea- power brings the system into being, and from which derive the laws and rules which rule the system over which it resides- resulting in the practice of worship, regulation, obedience.

Ownership- a keen sense of owning the power and the system that has been created- the acolytes' adoration bringing a sense of ego into this as well- the dark side of ownership when it goes too far.

This is a hierophant of cosmic power- the cosmic rules that are at once so immense and breathtaking, yet at the same time shrouded in mystery that we don't get to see. Why cover your face Hierophant- what is it that you hide?

Taurus- the sign of beauty and luxury- there is a sense of wanting to be worshipped just a little bit. Perhaps that is the glamour- putting out the sense of power, hiding the places that are not so grand. One of the people I love the most is a Taurus, so I appreciate the true beauty that comes with all the parts, but also recognize that inner need that can be manifested. When considering Taurus under the influence of Venus- this is the dark side that can arise from it. Regardless of gender- the dark side of the venusian influence has a feminine feel- so I can now see why this traditionally masculine figure has the female parts- and again, still feels very masculine when first seeing it.

This is a card where I like the energies better reversed. It completely changes the perspective of it.

It becomes lighter- not so dark, the light aspects of the card are now in the foreground. The once adoring figures now look as if they are dancing and celebrating with that stoic figure in the center- there is less of a hierarchy and more of a communion. The water and clouds even seem to dance together in a beautiful way- one not overtaking the other. This is what happens when the playing field is more level- there is more of a sense of openness, and authenticity to it. There is no power that is being held over something else- all components working together- each part an extension of the other. Rather than being obscured- it is almost as if the hood on the hierophant now is for taking more of a backstage approach to allow the lighter beings to be on center stage. Standing as a rock of solid power to support them, rather than to be worshipped by them. Venus/Taurus in all of it's glory- beautiful, powerful, and yet able to enrich the environment around them rather than the upright which seemed to try and control and overpower it.

Very interesting card- because as I regard it, and flip it, I can see how some would interpret it the opposite. I think it is very clever in the way it has been drawn- as those who appreciate the systems and boundaries will likely enjoy the upright view and see that as the positive, where those who are less appreciative of them enjoy things turned upside down. I am curious to see what others have to say regarding it.

JDusk

This is a card where I like the energies better reversed. It completely changes the perspective of it.

It becomes lighter- not so dark, the light aspects of the card are now in the foreground. The once adoring figures now look as if they are dancing and celebrating with that stoic figure in the center- there is less of a hierarchy and more of a communion. The water and clouds even seem to dance together in a beautiful way- one not overtaking the other. This is what happens when the playing field is more level- there is more of a sense of openness, and authenticity to it. There is no power that is being held over something else- all components working together- each part an extension of the other. Rather than being obscured- it is almost as if the hood on the hierophant now is for taking more of a backstage approach to allow the lighter beings to be on center stage. Standing as a rock of solid power to support them, rather than to be worshipped by them. Venus/Taurus in all of it's glory- beautiful, powerful, and yet able to enrich the environment around them rather than the upright which seemed to try and control and overpower it.

Very interesting card- because as I regard it, and flip it, I can see how some would interpret it the opposite. I think it is very clever in the way it has been drawn- as those who appreciate the systems and boundaries will likely enjoy the upright view and see that as the positive, where those who are less appreciative of them enjoy things turned upside down. I am curious to see what others have to say regarding it.

Oh, I forgot to mention the reverse. I like your thoughts. Reversed I see it as almost chaotic, the way those waves are falling over the top of the image - but a good kind of chaos. Like a "cosmic soup" of creative potential rather than things falling into place and order.

Hierophant Rx is usually one of my favorite reversals and I'm not too fond of it upright, but this card I like both ways. I think I'm more inclined to respect a primordial deity rising out of the sea than I am a mortal man claiming divine authority. I like order and structure for the sake of practicality, but I'm not too fond of strict institutions. And to me, there is centralized power here but it isn't as rigid of a system, I don't see mandates or rulebooks or protocol. And reversed, yes, that hierarchy is dissolved, so I can see it more as a distribution of power and maybe approaching something from many perspectives rather than believing there is only one true path to follow.

Penthasilia

I absolutely agree in the cosmic law versus man-made law. Here, reversed, I see the extraordinary things that even put what we consider cosmic law in a tailspin. Like the upcoming solar eclipse that will shift day to night in the middle of daylight hours, or the tornado that turns and leaves a home that was once in it's path intact- things like this.

Cosmic law can also be constraining- even if it is primordial/natural. There is a fundamental beauty and miracle that occurs when this is suspended- and that is the big thing I see in this reversal- the suspension of cosmic law that allows those amazingly beautiful miracles to come through- like double rainbows after a storm type of thing. :)