Sheridan-Douglas Tarot: new printing

Lillie

Yeah, it could be meant to be there.

I just like the name. It makes me smile.

It's a shame Pixie didn't write her own book, saying what she drew and why she drew it. I know we would all love to read that.

I was looking at Waites book the other day, and for a few cards he actually say that the 'illustration is obscure'.
Why?
Ought he not know what it's showing?
Couldn't he just ask her, or what?

Funny.

gregory

Oh Lillie - you crack me up...... :D

Antonius

oh thanks Lillie for that link as soon as i get a chance il check out and let you know if mine is A,B,OR C (NOSEY!) ha ha.

just got in from work so be patient. its all go!

Antonius

Ok lillie,my Pamela Coleman is a "B",
its a bit like playing spot the difference,all good fun.

Lillie

Ooh! a B! same as the one I've got.

Now, the book for this one is different to the original key to the tarot that came with the A version.
The B is from the 30's. (and is later than the C! Who invented this system? Mr Jensen?)
And I think by this time Waite thought he could let a few more secrets out of that bag. So he expanded a little.
Or was he dead by then, and someone did it for him?

Just a curiosity, but when I found out I spent ages comparing my two different copies!

gregory

Waite died in 1942. (I just had to look that up.... :p) I have no idea which deck I have....

Antonius

Well getting back to the Sheridan deck which was the start of this link,i do feel the box they come in is a bit crap!,well you know its a shame the box was not more like some of the two part more solid boxes such as early RWS or early 1jj,
maybe the new printing will address this,but i dont think so.
What do others feel about this box fetish thing.????
from a collectors point of view decent boxes do preserve the deck much better.

baba-prague

I agree that those two-part boxes are lovely. But we tried to find a source of them a year or so ago - and in fact eventually succeeded - only to realise that if we went that way it would DOUBLE the price of our decks (literally). If you are US Games and printing a large run in China, then it may be possible, but sadly, it's a very expensive option in Europe as far as we can tell. So if the deck has to come with a more basic box in order to keep the price down, personally I'd be all for that. I feel I can always get a bag for it - something with an outrageously seventies feel would be good :)

It's a shame though. Perhaps one day there will be some way to get those really substantial boxes done at a decent price again.

truelighth

Lillie said:
The B is from the 30's. (and is later than the C! Who invented this system? Mr Jensen?)

Mr Jensen indeed invented the A,B,C and D system. But he didn't know the age or differences between the decks yet when he named them (so he told me). He got copies from all of them to study (on loan mostly) and just had to think of something to keep them apart. It is mere coincidence that the oldest and original version turned out to be the one he named Pamela-A. Or fate if you like :)

Antonius

I also have the RWS deluxe this very well presented in a nice box and the cards feel really nice with silky smooth gold or gilt edges,this is probably my favourite Waite deck to handle and shuffle,
its strange what different types of boxes or backs design can make all the difference to like or dislike a deck.But i do love the really deep purple or blue(depending how they catch the light) of the Sheridan,it seems to give the deck a real mystical feel.