Sheridan-Douglas Tarot: new printing

Antonius

Hi Alfred,I would be fairly sure your brown and white crazy pave deck as you put it is the Pamela Coleman (b) deck,ialso have this one and it is dated 1910 1931 one of these sold on ebay recently for £335.00 .....bargain LOL.

Alfred Douglas

99p?

Well done Lillie - but 99p? I don't know whether I should feel pleased for you, or insulted. LOL

Actually, I don't have a deck with mottled backs myself - just a couple of odd cards, so you are one up on me.

Lillie

Don't feel insulted.
It was a typo.
I reckon I was the only person who saw it.

I was on tenter hooks for a week wondering if anyone else would spot it.
They didn't, I got it.

If it had been listed properly it would have gone for the usual price. Between £100 and £200, and of course I would never have been able to afford it.

The brown crazy paving backed RWS decks are the early ones, Like Antonius says, from 1910 to the 1930's.
They come in three distinct varieties. A, B and C.

If you would like to know which one yours is, go to Holly's site, and compare the sun card to the scans.

This site. It's very interesting.
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/index.html
I think your deck gets a mention for the fool going the opposite direction across the card from the RWS fool.

Alfred Douglas

Crazy paving

Thank you for the identification, Antonius. I inherited the deck from my old Tarot teacher, Madeline Montalban, who wrote an article on the Tarot each month in 'Prediction' magazine during the 1950s and '60s. She was a very knowledgeable magician who had studied with Crowley in the '30s and had many first editions of his books, including the 1944 edition of his book on the Tarot. She illustrated her 'Prediction' articles with cards from the Thomson/Leng deck, and I also inherited that deck from her.

Unfortunately, she had two black she-cats, sisters, called Lilith and Tanith. This pair bit and scratched anything they could get their paws on, and both Tarot decks are well mauled.

The Thomson/Leng remains the most powerful deck for me, because I pored over every detail while studying Madeline's articles in the late '50s when I should have been doing my homework. Evidence of a mis-spent youth perhaps, but it seemed to work out OK in the long term : )

Some day I'd like to acquire a Thomson/Leng deck in good condition. It has a very traditional English occult feel to it, evoking to my mind the magic of practitioners such as Dion Fortune.

Antonius

Hi Lillie

Lillie i really enjoy reading all your threads i can really relate to your likes and dislikes on tarot,
also understand your thinking of getting the 1jj again,well i can say is make sure its the Waddingtons edition this is the best with the nice box,i have several so if you have any trouble getting this edition let me know.
Take care
Antonius

Lillie

I got a 1jj. another 99p job off ebay.
It was a waddingtons one. But when it arrived the empress was creased, right across the centre.
For the price I paid it wasn't worth saying anything, so I just gave the usual feedback.
It was funny seeing it again. I like it better these days.
But I'll always use the Thoth, I expect.

I used to read prediction magazine. (who didn't! it was really the only magazine of that type you could get in WH Smiths) It was my first look into the world of tarot and all sorts of other things. It led on to many other things.
I think they might have reprinted Madeline Montalbans articles in the 70's or 80's, because I am sure I remember her name from there.
Though I think I have also read some books by her, so I could be getting confused. (I often am)

And I am happy to say that I have a Thompson Leng that has not been got at by Tanith or Lilith. (wonderful cat names!)
I think one of the best things about the deck is those two neatly dressed children on the sun card, looking like they are off to sunday school, and not very happy about it either.
That card, the artistic style, their clothes and everything just seem so typical of all the art I have seen from that time.

It's a nice deck. Tiny though.

Alfred Douglas

Early Pamela

Thanks for the link to Holly's site, Lillie. I've measured my early Waite deck and it is 121mm long, which makes it a Pamela A. The other details on The Sun also check out. Fascinating stuff.

Lillie

Oh, lucky you!

That one is not only the first, but is also considered to be the best colour and printing.
I have never seen one, so I don't know.

Antonius

The Devils Picture Book

Just thought i would mention another excellent book on Tarot THE DEVILS PICTURE BOOK by Paul Huson,
this was my second book ever on tarot and is superb if (you like witchcraft) im sure most of you must have this one.
Apparently Paul Huson claims one of his English ancestors was was hanged as a witch back in1664.....poor soul,

Great book though on Tarot,recommend this one.

Alfred Douglas

Paul Huson

MY first book, on the I Ching, was published in hardback in '71 in America by Putnam's. When they were offered my second book, on the Tarot, a year later, they turned it down because they had just signed a contract for a similar book - The Devil's Picture Book by Paul Huson.

One of my own longtime favourites is 'The Painted Caravan' by Basil Ivan Rakoczi, published in 1954. Brilliant text, and illustrations drawn by the author. When my own book was published, Rakoczi wrote to me from Tangier, where he was then living. It was a thrill for me to find myself in correspondence with someone whose work I so admired.