Is using / studying tarot safe?

Trogon

Don't you guys ever feel drained and want to clear away the previous person and their sometimes depressing energy? :confused:

Occasionally. So far, in my experience, there is only one thing that is certain about Tarot; and that is that very little is certain. There are many ways to read Tarot. I personally do receive messages from spirits around the people I read for ... but the messages are carried through to me by my own Spirit Guides. There have been a few times when I've needed to take a break and ground and release accumulated energies. But, as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary."

Can you do it 'by accident', without clear purpose? Is there anything useful one should know?

Again, it rather depends on how you personally operate when you do a Tarot reading. Not everyone believes that the spirit world even exists. Personally, I do - but not the Heaven/Hell, Good/Evil that most Judeo-Christian religions believe in. And yes, it is possible to accidentally open yourself up to bothersome energies. If you feel you need to, develop some short and easy rituals to protect yourself (and your client if you feel it is necessary). You can also smudge your reading area if you feel energies are accumulating.

IndigoViolet

Can you do it 'by accident', without clear purpose? Is there anything useful one should know?

Good question. It made me think back on how I broke free from the control of those bad spirits. They exist either as something we born into, or we being the target of their phishing.

So, the answer is yes, but ..

However the good news is, nothing comes for free. And this means you will have the mental strength to defend automatically so long as you do not accept free gifts from spirits you do not know, and always remember you do not need to be submissive to anything "set" for you. Everything is prone to at least a change of your own mindset and attitude towards so, and neither in your inner world you need to submit to ANY will. Always test whatever you recieve externally or internally to ensure they really come from the good side, and then..

The most importantly is never, **NEVER**, I mean, in any circumstances, allow yourself to be passive in anything suggessive including whatever message, feelings etc, via passive channeling, hypnosis therapy (and you shouldn't be in that kind of therapy room at the first place anyways!!), auto suggestion, or other suggestions at all. Never listen to books, thereof, that suggest similar therapy or method of tarot intepretation nor divination. By developing true self confident, boldness, self control and survival instinct, you develop your basic resistant of change, you strengthen your own basic personal defense as well as your psychic shield.

People who pay attention to the information input to their mind understand that they have to be critical and analytical. If you cannot evaluate yourself, people can help but no one can do it for you. Not only the psychic world is filled with this, but our real world too anyways. So why not?

Finally, a forum member in another site say this nicely - if you are to do anything greater than yourself but refuse to actually learn to get that power yourself, you are prone to be vulerable. I think this one is all I can remember for the time being.

techn1k

Thanks for replies.

I gave it a bit of thought yesterday and came to (possibly ignorant) conclusion that Tarot should not be the main reason for all these negative influences. Cards are a tool so it could happen without them as well. I think that people who never approached them (or other forms of spiritual activities) are even more prone to be affected by bad energies as they are not cautious/aware of them.

Unless I am wrong of course, some people claim that completely ignoring the spiritual (not religious) side of life is the best way to avoid them. If spiritual development is like walking out of the house, there is always a risk of being hit by the truck ;)

Qofcups

I was reading tarot long before I embraced Christianity. I feel the tarot kind of led me to find my church. I explored many different religions before I decided to give the bible a shot--with a huge dose of skepticism. What I discovered when I read the bible--most of what is deemed a Christian sin really isn't supported in the gospels. Jesus actually teaches quite the opposite. And if you take the old testament in the context of the gospels you discover that "law" is nothing without "faith". Faith is the crux of Christianity.

So then you look at the law--and most of them seem ridiculous in today's society, but if you take it in the context of what they were afraid about you can find that the major source of what made something a law was "lack of faith".

When I joined my church I told my pastor that I read tarot and that is not something I am willing to give up. She did not try to convince me otherwise. Then things started happening in my life. And I realized that the more out of control things felt, the more I turned to my cards (as always) and the more I turned to my cards to "find answers" to "learn everything that was not shown to me" the more out of control things became and the more obsessed I became looking to the cards for answers. And suddenly I had an AHA moment. Tarot is not evil, or against God, or a SIN. But that need to know things that I was not ready to know. The fear that drove me to keep seeking out answers. The doubt. THE LACK OF FAITH. That was the sin. That was what kept me from moving forward. The second I let go of HAVING TO KNOW, and just gave my situation up to God--and trusted it will all be well. It all started to get better.

So no--there is nothing wrong with tarot--even if you are a Christian. But understanding when you are using the cards in a way that is keeping you stuck in a destructive cycle. Where they are becoming an obsession rather than a tool for introspection. When they keep you from letting go and having FAITH--that's when they can bring bad energy into your life--just like any other worldly passion that can become an addiction. One thing I learned as to stop relying so heavily on the cards, is that there are very few situations in my life that require me to seek out answers from the cards. Things will be known when I am ready to know them. But I still find it useful when I am stuck with a choice or confused about something.

Also if you are using tarot (or any other kind of divination or spiritual or religious practice) to manipulate people or take advantage then you are doing something sinful--but it isn't the cards that our the problem, it is your intention. The tool is useful when used appropriately.

Morwenna

QofC, I really love your post! You are so right about faith vs. addiction. Intent is the key. Tarot is no more dangerous than a car; it depends on how you use it.

Honeysun

Hiya!

Studying and using Tarot is perfectly safe! It has helped me so much and to be honest, it's probably the best thing that has happened to me.
Tarot is just a tool, and it all depends how you use it. If your intentions are good, then there's nothing to worry about :)

I didn't want to create a separate thread, but a long time ago there was this person in a magazine that said tarot readers might have difficulties in life, apparently you have to make a sacrifice or give up something in order to receive answers from Tarot. I personally think it's bs, but I wonder what others think?

Morwenna

Hiya!

I didn't want to create a separate thread, but a long time ago there was this person in a magazine that said tarot readers might have difficulties in life, apparently you have to make a sacrifice or give up something in order to receive answers from Tarot. I personally think it's bs, but I wonder what others think?

That's pretty much what the OP asked. I think the only thing you sacrifice is the time & energy required to study Tarot in the first place.

Cynthia_H

So no--there is nothing wrong with tarot--even if you are a Christian. But understanding when you are using the cards in a way that is keeping you stuck in a destructive cycle. Where they are becoming an obsession rather than a tool for introspection. When they keep you from letting go and having FAITH--that's when they can bring bad energy into your life--just like any other worldly passion that can become an addiction. One thing I learned as to stop relying so heavily on the cards, is that there are very few situations in my life that require me to seek out answers from the cards. Things will be known when I am ready to know them. But I still find it useful when I am stuck with a choice or confused about something.

Also if you are using tarot (or any other kind of divination or spiritual or religious practice) to manipulate people or take advantage then you are doing something sinful--but it isn't the cards that our the problem, it is your intention. The tool is useful when used appropriately.

I agree with Qofcups insightful post.

Like everything in life, it is not the thing itself that can harm or do good but it is the intent and use of the thing. As a tarot newbie, I try to spend some time each day studying tarot. And when I first started a few years back, I was relying heavily on the cards for answers to all situations in my live. That initial infatuation phase has past for me and now I rarely get a reading and now only for issues that I in feel in need of additional guidance on.

But I have experienced, even on this forum, people who are seriously stuck in harmful obsessive behavioural patterns while using the tarot. As with anything, some people can become OCD with the tarot and there is a very small number of people who demonstrate lack of faith in their own abilities, common sense, and intuition. They are clearly not able to accept the wisdom available in the tarot and reject all guidance/interpretations that do not confirm their pre-determined point of view about their situation(s) or give them the answers they want. However, it is these folks' behaviours causing them harm rather than the tarot which they are not using wisely.

I find Tarot a wonderful tool for personal development and showing me an array of paths and avenues available in my life when needed.

SunChariot

Also, I have a question about safety. Recently my friend warned me about Tarot. Apparently her mother was a psychic and quite often reading for others involved a 'price', usually someone from her family was getting sick right after.

I certainly would like to avoid anything like that. I wouldn't like to have a problem with forces I can't control. I can't be sure if the story was absolutely real but scared me a bit.

It may sound stupid but is using/studying Tarot safe? (sorry if this question is inappropriate)

Please believe me there are no stupid of inappropriate Tarot questions. There are so so many Tarot superstitions and misconceptions around, it can be near impossible to tell which of the things you hear on the topic are true and which aren't when you are starting out. How else can you start to tell which is which without talking it over with others with real experience.

That said, I have been reading over 15 years and there was never ever any kind of price to pay for being a reader. I have never ever seen anything come from my being a reader that was not kind, loving and wise.

It opened up my life to so much positive and loving energy. It just flowed in and surrounded me once I opened my heart and soul to it. My life would honestly be much less without that in it. It strengthened my connection to the world around me and everyone it in and gave me a stronger sense of "oneness". That is one of the greatest life joys for me.

As for safety, I feel MUCH safer now that I am who I am as a reader. MUCH SAFER. First there is the fact that knowing is something undesirable is coming your way gives you the chance to change paths and avoid it. If you did not know, you would not that the chance to do so.

And yes, for me anyway, becoming a reader opened me up to an energy in the universe that keeps me safer than ever before. When I opened up inside, life started to send me signs in my everyday life even when I am not doing a reading. These signs point out the best path for me to be on, if I start to take a wrong turn in my life. All this keeps my much safer and on my best life path.

Honestly, I do think a part of it is your expectations. If you choose to believe that something bad will come from reading, then maybe you will attract that to you, some negative energy. If you expect loving, kind, wise, beautiful energy ...then that is what comes. That's what I've always got. Breathtakingly beautiful at times.

Maybe on some level that comes down to the law of attraction. Maybe we attract what we expect to us? But I choose to trust that good things will come if I did open up. And they always have.

On the other hand, it might even have something to do with what you try to connect to to get your answers, where you believe the answers are coming from, what you feel you are contacting/what you feel is contacting you to give you the answers.

I can say that right from the start, I asked that all my answers in Tarot always come from a source that is wise, loving, kind and compassionate and that what comes up always be the best answer that will most help the querent. And that seems to be what has always happened for me, pretty much. :grin:

Babs

techn1k

Thank you all!

I appreciate time taken to to post replies Qofcups and Sunchariot, these were really helpful and insightful!