Pathfinders Animal Totem Oracle No 25: Boar

Mi-Shell

The card shows the head of a Boar in front of a large circle of Celtic knotwork.
The boar attained greater renown in the Old World.
Most of the symbolism about boar comes from the Celts.
They connected the boar with battle and leadership. It gave strength and courageand was associated with the warrior spirit and leadership

To dream of boar, or to have a vision of one, indicated the warrior or war and a fearless band of men.
Boar bristles were valued, and considered filled with innate power. In one Celtic legend, Fion steps on a boar bristle and dies, after breaking a >gaeas< (vow, or in this case prohibition) against hunting boars. In the end the bristle had more power than man, and indirectly the boar dispensed justice.
Ceridwin, goddess of inspiration was represented by a boar and often traveled as a sow .
Boar meet was buried with the dead to lend strengths in the afterlife.
Muic-inis or boar Island is an old name for Ireland
Like the druid, the boar was closely connected with the forest, feeding on acorns, while the wild sow, symbolically surrounded by her nine piglets, rooted in the ground at the foot of the apple, the tree of immortality. Since the Celts' herds of pigs lived more or less in the wild, the pig and the wild boar were often undifferentiated, and since the boar was the animal dedicated to Lug, pork was the sacrificial food at the festival of Samain (1 November). A number of legends tell of the feasts in tbe Otherworld at which there is a magic pig, always perfectly cooked and never growing less. Mercury is given the surname, Moccus, ('pig') in a Gallo-Roman inscription from Langres (France). The Twrch Trwyth (Irish: triath, 'king') with which Arthur did battle symbolizes the power of the priesthood in conflict with that of the king at a time of spiritual decline. Lug's father, Cian, changed himself into a 'druidic pig' to escape his pursuers.
Nowhere in Irish literature, not even when under Christian influence, is the boar anything but a symbol of good.
The Carnyx (battle horn) of Scotland and Wales bore the figure of the boar's head. Their helmets and shields were often adorned by its image.
It also is interesting to read up on Boar in the Druid Animal Oracle...

The Vikings also venerated boar's warlike qualities. It was invoked by Nordic warriors to give them the fortitude and determination to win.
Frig and Freya were also guided by fearless boars and Norse warriors wore helmets in boar head shape and adorned with boar teeth.

A boar's tooth - often mounted and maybe even with a piece of Jasper added is an important Talisman / luck charm for Gypsies.
Since there are no more Bears and Wolves in Europe's forests, the surviving wild Boars have few enemies.

In the southern US there are small populations of introduced wild pigs and in theTexas and northern Mexico lives the much smaller Peccary.

HearthCricket

When I think of Boar I immediately think of the wild boar in the movie "The Thorn Birds". They are strong, wild and territorial. You don't fool around with them. Don't ever mix them up withe domestic piggy whom one lavishes affection on and feeds leftovers. This boar ended up killing the most beloved of the sons.

Maybe learning more about Boar will help me warm up to him, but right now my immediate feelings are:

strength
wild
respect

If I remember correctly, boar bristles could also be used for sewing needles of old!??!

:D

souljourney

Interestingly in Christian culture, as Mi-Shell noted, Boar is good. However to Jews and Muslims Boar/Pig is an "unclean" animal and not to be eaten anyway. Not sure what other connotations it has though.
I see Boar as determined, fearless. The book also notes Boar also stands for prosperity and healing. Not sure why...
Quite a few people in the US have potbelly pigs as pets. I know they are very intelligent animals... learning much like a dog does.
Also something I find interesting is they naturally root out truffles, which are an unusual and rare item. I like to think Boar/Pig can find something special and unique about others/a situation... they have insight.
This is one of my totems for the year so hopefully I'll learn a lot.

Aulruna

Wild Boar is one of my main guardians. In my region, they are connected not only to the warrior spirit and leadership, but also to fertility, primeval sensuality (maybe because of their obvious enjoyment in mud baths ... it is a wonderful sight to see them frolick, and because I come from a rather mild and fertile region, where sows are normally fertile throughout the year, despite the main mating season being only about two months long) and maternal courage. Actually, they are really powerful guardians for women.

I've just looked Wild Boar up in Susie Green's Animal Messages, and she connects them with individualism and being authentic, sticking to one's personal values. That was an entirely new correspondence for me! But I can certainly see how Boar, firmly standing his ground, would inspire this kind of message.

souljourney

Yep, I did totally forget the fertility message. That may be the connection to prosperity. "Fertile" doesn't have to mean just the ability to have babies sense (thank goodness for that!)

Aulruna

souljourney said:
"Fertile" doesn't have to mean just the ability to have babies sense (thank goodness for that!)

Indeed! :D

souljourney

I'm starting to see how Boar can help me to overcome my procrastination if I listen to her message...
Willfulness (Stubbornness), Determination can lead to Prosperity. I need to stay determined. Interesting what I'm procrastinating is opening my chiropractic/massage office.... which is Boar's message of Healing.
There have been some delays... I have just not stayed on top of it. I am taking steps tomorrow to correct that.

Aulruna

This is brilliant, souljourney... I also have some procrastination issues, so I will try to connect to Boar for this.

A little anecdote on the side... last weekend, we celebrated my stepfather's 70th birthday. He used to be mayor, and the township's coat of arms shows a boar. The tourism office has now made stuffed boar toys for kids, and he got me one, too - another Boar sign ;)