Question about A Wicked Pack of Cards

Abrac

I was thinking about getting Decker, Depaulis, and Dummett's A Wicked Pack of Cards. One of the reviews at Amazon says the physical quality of the book isn't very good but doesn't give any details. If I get it, it'll be the Bristol Classical Press Hardcover edition. Can anyone give an opinion about the book's quality, or know what that reviewer might be talking about? Thanks. :)

Redfaery

I have this book. It's very poorly bound, the paper is thin, and the type is not easy to read. In short, it looks and feels cheaply made.

Abrac

Thanks for that info. I may have to rethink getting that version.

I now see it's had a couple of other publishers, St. Martin's and Duckworth. Anyone know if those editions are any better?

rwcarter

I have the St. Martin's Press edition. It was bought used. The binding is still tight and the paper is a nice quality. The ISBN of my version is 0-312-16294-4.

Rodney

Redfaery

Thanks for that info. I may have to rethink getting that version.

I now see it's had a couple of other publishers, St. Martin's and Duckworth. Anyone know if those editions are any better?
Ok...I just double checked and the one I got from Amazon is actually the Duckworth edition. It's still a pretty cheaply made book. I can't speak for the quality of the other editions.

Abrac

Thanks Rodney, sounds like St. Martin's might be a way to go.

Amazon has 2 listings that I can find, the St. Martin's Press edition and the Bristol Classical Press. All the reviews are lumped together for both editions and the reviewer who gave a critical review doesn't say which version they are talking about, it could be the Duckworth for all I know.

So there's still the Bristol Classical Press. Does anyone have this edition? If I'm understanding Redfaery, if you order from the Bristol Classical Press page you actually get the Duckworth?

Redfaery

Sorry for making things so confusing, but yes, the edition I ordered from Amazon (the one shown as being the Bristol Classical Press) has "Duckworth" printed on the spine.

Abrac

Oh no problem, I appreciate your help. I did some digging and turns out Bristol Classic Press is an imprint of Duckworth Academic. So there are two editions, St. Martin's and Duckworth/Bristol.