ONE important Key to the Thoth Tarot

ravenest

wolfmaiden58 said:
you know, IMHO, I don't think the Thoth tarot is an 'oracle' - I believe, from reading the writings of Regardie, Crowley, Reuss etc (ie. the 'new Aeon' pioneers) that the deck describes ones personal journey through the Sepher Sephiroth (and, conversely, the Qlippoth, if one is drawn to the dark side of Magick). It's a key to the Mysteries, an aid to discovery of one's own 'True Will'.

93 Wolfmaiden
Now I'm a little lost.How did you get information about the Thoth deck from reading Reuss? And how do you see Reuss as a "New Aeon Pioneer"?

wolfmaiden58 said:
Thus said, I'm finding I have little patience for card casters who attempt to use the deck as a fortune telling tool.
Then how do explain the section in the book of Thoth where instructions are given on how to lay out and to do a reading?
I will agree that the Thoth deck has a much more important use than in reading, as you detail above, but why can't this use and benefeit come from a reading? Readings can be deep and meaningful and lead to clarity about ones True Will. However if you are focused on the '3 main questions' [as I call them]. ie, love/sex, money/ possesions, and power, then I would suggest that the end to which the deck was designed is being misused, and then one could end ...

Wolfmaiden said:
... up with 'responses' that were ambiguous, sarcastic, and often, downright rude!!.....

:laugh: Sounds like you have had a reading off me!

Wolfmaiden said:
Yes, you have to study the Qabbala, you have to study Astrology, you have to study the collected works of the greatest New Aeon masters - anything less is to mock the whole foundation of the belief system that the deck was built upon.
It's a long hard journey - all the way from The Fool in Malkuth, to The Universe, Binah, above the Abyss - completion of the Great Work in the highest sense
Yes, to mock ... or to be in ignorance of it.

93 93/93

ravenest

job said:
Hi
You don't always get what you expect but you don't expect a wicked sense of humour!

Anyone familiar with AC, I feel, should be ready for that!
Job said:
"All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all. It's not all this wearying symbolic misdirection that's being dragged up from the Victorian Age, when no-one was allowed to talk plainly and everything was in coy poetic code.

And now we are in some type of liberal age? Wilhelm Reich tried it, he wrote very good books on sexual therapy (he appears to be the father of the whole of the modern 'bodywork' movement). He was eventually imprisoned, and his books publicly burnt (in the USA in the 50's) he died 'somehow' in prison. I feel it is quiet nieve to think that one can go out there and teach the mysteries openly (even in a 'free' country such as Australia) without copping some serious flack. I've seen it happen, and experienced it personally.

Job said:
The world's at a crisis point and it's time to stop bullshitting around with Qabalah and Thelema and Chaos and Information and all the rest of the metaphoric smoke and mirrors designed to make the rubes think magicians are 'special' people with special powers. It's not like that. Everyone does magic all the time in different ways. 'Life' plus 'significance' = magic."
Grant (off his head) Morrison
:)

Well, yes, off his head indeed. One may as well state that quantum physics is doing the same with all their strange ideas and terminologies. By nature the occult must be either expressed in myth, symbol and metaphor or we need to invent a better language than English to describe the forces and perceptions and processes (which we are slowly doing by incorporating terms into English from languages that have an open magical or exoteric tradition eg. Sanskrit)

Magicians ARE special people with powers, well, accomplished magicians are, and should be well versed in the internal and occult (hidden from external ) natural laws and processes at work within themselves, environment and tools and substances they use. That might apply to a carpenter or an engineer as well, therefore we could call an accomplished carpenter a magician but a crappy one that cant even make a stool doesnt deserve the title (neither does a potter that cant make a t-pot that pours properly). The futher we get away from these principles into mass production, the further our society moves away from 'magick'.

In my perception the vast majority of the human race are a bunch of idiots and I feel most must come to this conclusion after studing even a small amount of history, religion, environmental destruction, etc, etc.

The only saving grace seems to be the occasional genius that occasionally throws us a lifeline.

wolfmaiden58

add my 2c to yours, AC..........my experience entirely - I dabbled with other decks, then tried using the same with the Thoth - nope, nada, zip - just confusion and bewilderment - reading Duquette's 'Thoth Tarot' was so enlightening, that it was hard NOT to be drawn into investigating the shimmering layers of complexity hidden within the deck - I think possibly inspired by Lady Frieda's committment to excellence in the project she took on - in fact, the correspondence between her and Crowley were so intense, that one could not fail to be inspired by her parallel search for the esoteric mysticism inherent in the Qaballa, as well as her determination to bring the Vision of AC to life.
(nonetheless, I would have chosen a different Magus!!......LOL!).
A further 'must read' in regard to understanding the Thoth, for me, was the Tree of Life by Israel Regardie.

93 93/93

ravenest

To me Israel R. is V.cool. I believe he had a lot to offer with his blend of magic and psyciatry ( he had qualifications in both ) I believe he had nutted out the approach to theraputic magic. But it appears he 'pulled his head in' somewhat and then began only teaching that to personalized students one on one. There are some hints in his writings. It is very interesting to compare where his work was going, before the Reich case mentioned above, and after it. I believe it gave him (and many others) a shock and a fright and a good reason (as he was taught at his initiation ;) ) to be cautious.