The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

tinkerbell

boho gothic...........

OOOOHHHHH!!!!!
I'm in love!!!
I didn't think karen and alex could possibly create another deck as sumptuous and divine as the victorian romantic but this looks a real crowd pleaser!!!
Let's see some more cards!!!
btw- I love the "no borders" look of these!!!
Luv,
Tinkerbell xxx

Little Baron

Oh my!

I don't want to be predictable and say 'I gotta have it' before even looking at more than a handful of cards. But it does look like the kind of deck I was always searching for. And as many of you know, I have spent many years looking. I have always wanted something dark, but many of the dark decks just never did it for me. But I trust in Magic Realist and I know enough of them to know that I like their style. And yes, it is nice to see them borderless, if that is what they are.

Looks very sumptuous.

But Autumn is fine. I got the Prague, Victorian and Menagerie to get to know at the moment. It would be such a waste to cast them aside for something new.

Looks fun though.

LB

Cocobird55

It looks amazing -- something else to look forward to!

FaireMaiden

I dinna care for dark decks a'tall, but I must say this deck looks just stunning... Can't wait for the See of Logos either...

Thank god for tax refunds, *lol* I've become a Magic Realist freak!!!

jackdaw*

A wee voice of dissent here in the chorus of "halleluja, a borderless Magic Realist deck" ... I think it'd look awfully nice with a simple black border, rather along the lines of their recent decks. But of course, it will be lovely no matter what they do with the borders!

You might as well just put me down for a silver edition preorder already, with a bag of course :D

blackroseivy

ADORE it on 1st sight, it's GORGEOUS - MUST HAVE, MUST HAVE!!! :D :D :D

Owlface

I will echo LittleBuddha and say I'm glad this is coming out in the autumn-at the moment I am still much immersed in Karen and Alex's other decks. Which is the mark of a good deck, I think-there's always more to discover, deeper depths to plumb and explore.

I haven't been much taken with other Gothic decks I've seen but these cards are wonderful. Dark but not gory. I must admit that excess gore makes me feel like laughing, not shuddering ;)

baba-prague

Oh - found!

I've been out this evening.

Well, we've had this one planned for four years now (really) but I just felt we weren't ready to do a dark deck until now. Then the Victorian Romantic turned out to have its Dark Sister (we couldn't call it that - we sell a lot outside English speaking countries now so we felt the word "Gothic" was needed as it's well understood. Still, I think I may always think of it as the Dark Sister myself). The Dark Sister just began howling at the windows all winter - but she had to wait for the Cats to be finished (she likes cats, but she wasn't pleased to wait).

It's taken a lot of thinking about how to do it so that it's dark but not shlocky (is that a word?) I wanted something that felt like a very old Victorian Gothic story - things in the shadows, beautiful women of dubious history (as I said on my blog, I feel that the Queen of Swords is a great deal older than she looks), strange hauntings... all that. Alex wanted something beautiful - he believes that dark ugly images are a bad thing for the spirit - when the darkness has beauty in it, it transforms into something more useful and thought-provoking.

Anyway, here is another taster, the High Priestess. Please bear in mind that knowing us, these will get tweaked a bit between now and the autumn. It's a long, long way to go yet (by the way, the barn owl is my favourite barn owl in the world - she is dear who was rescued here with a bad wing, she loves people and I've held her a few times - but I digress a lot!)

Oh - and yes, it's borderless. I never thought we'd do a borderless deck, but these images seemed to demand it (we tried various dark borders and they just closed everything in too much).

Picks Hearthcricket off the floor, dusts her down and offers her the smelling salts...

Attachments

• BG_Hpriestess350.jpg
    BG_Hpriestess350.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 612

.traveller.

Oh dear, just when I was thinking I was done buying decks for a while. Guess I better start saving up for that silver edition, never been tempted by the limited editions before now.

baba-prague

Queen of Swords

For those who didn't spot this on my blog today. It's loosely based on a photo in an antique book that we have. But it's been redrawn as the original was so old and blurry. But I have had her marked as "MUST use this image" for quite some time now. Alex did the most astonishing job with this figure.

The first thought may be "She's young for the Queen of Swords". But is she really?

Attachments

• BG_QueenofSwords.jpg
    BG_QueenofSwords.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 552