Reading Tarot at the Hospital?

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, is there any lore or "traditional" prohibitions about/ against reading tarot cards in a Hospital?

DaughterOfDanu

I don't believe so. At least in terms of traditional customs (silk cloth, don't let anyone else touch your cards type of superstitions) Though some may be concerned about what type of energy their cards pick up while at the hospital. Or for the more practical what type of germs get on the cards.

I did once hear about someone using their cards to construct a temporary spiritual altar in their hospital room. Very cool idea :)

Grizabella

I've seen posts here in the past about someone doing readings while they were in the hospital, but I don't know if it's a very common practice. I don't think they can prevent somebody using the cards here in America because of religious freedom so just making your own altar for yourself to use the cards should be alright, I'd think. As to whether you'd be allowed to read for others, I guess it would be on a case by case basis. When I was in the hospital, I wasn't feeling well enough to do many readings.

AnemoneRosie

Hospitals here have a lot of theft, so if cards are to be left unattended, you might consider using an easily-replaceable deck.

BlueSun

My comment is not exactly about doing tarot readings in the hospital, but related.

Should we use tarot reading as a basis upon to make our judgement about an illness or medical treatment? Is this dangerous?

Recently a friend is going through a very tough time dealing with a parent's illness--a very dire situation. Without telling her, I asked the tarot cards what advice would they give her. I will not tell her the result because I don't want it to influence her decision--it is a life and death situation. (Anyway, the card indicated that she should give up. But a clarification card indicated the opposite.)

As for my own situation, some years ago, I had to deal with a dire medical situation with MY parent. I purposely would not do any tarot reading about it, because I did not want it to influence my decisions. I didn't know how much to trust it.

When my parent finally came home from the hospital, he still faced a long recovery ahead. It was only when he was STABLE, that I asked the cards if he would recover. I got the Ace of Wands--that was a clear signal that he would improve, and he did.

MissChiff

I was in a burn unit for about 9 months in 2009-2010, and then in a rehabilitation center for about 6. I would have gone bat shit crazy if I didn't have my cards!! I would read for the nurses and a few of the patients. Not one person asked about health.

nisaba

Hey guys, is there any lore or "traditional" prohibitions about/ against reading tarot cards in a Hospital?

Because I am a regular blood donor I find myself on the grounds of our local hospital every twelve weeks. I'm usually masses early, so I pull out a deck and use it. I've even picked up clients there. I don't see why it should be a problem.