Nudity in Tarot.

JylliM

No problem with nudity per se, but good luck with painting a penis that isn't comical or just plain distracting!

foolMoon

Its artists freedom to create whatever s/he feels relevant for the theme, and its each indiviuals freedom whatever one feels about the art.

But good or bad, beautiful or ugly .... these judgements are not in the art itself, but rather its in the mind of the viewer stimulated by ones religious, social, cultural and family background.

In ancient Greco Roman times, human bodies were regarded most beutiful and natural object, hence the majority of their art was about naked human bodies. After their fall, when the world has been ruled by the Religious authorities, the medieval ages began with strict censure on these terms, and this tradition might still affect many populations of modern times and even now.

Of course everything in Tarot including nudity is symbolism expressed via art, and they are subjected to be judged by personal artistic tastes of the readers.

jema

I have no promblems at all with nudity. We are all naked underneath :p

I come from a culture and an age where nude people were not big thing.
(sweden in the 70:ies)

JylliM really got to the core here though. Don't paint LIMP DICKS! (Robin Wood I am looking at you)
We don't need to see baguettes dangling. Ancient greek statues show genitals but keep them kinda small and neat.
You never saw Hermes with a penis big is a loaf of bread.

SarahJoy

I like tasteful nudity in art, like the Star card, and I have no problems with gratuitous nakedness as tittilation, like erotic decks.

I dislike gratuitous nakedness posing as tasteful nudity.

SarahJoy

I like tasteful nudity in art, like the Star card, and I have no problems with gratuitous nakedness as tittilation, like erotic decks.

I dislike gratuitous nakedness posing as tasteful nudity.

GotH

And sometimes nudity POPS out at you even when you don't expect it in the cards. :bugeyed: I was doing a romantic relationship reading with my Tarot Illuminati the other day for someone when sexual organs became exposed in the Queen of Pentacles (the Asian queen- see her sleeve at the wrist) and the Prince of Swords, he's holding it in his hand. Even if the creator didn't intend for these cards to appear this way, it surely came as a surprise to me. <blushing> Perhaps it's time for an appointment with my Ophthalmologist.

willowy

It doesn't put me off a deck,for one I'm pagan so pretty relaxed over the naked human body,and after all most lovers cards,devil cards and the world cards often have nudity in them in otherwise very modest decks.
As long as it fits with what's happening in the card and isn't just boobs and bums for the sake of it lol.

Le Fanu

No problem with nudity per se, but good luck with painting a penis that isn't comical or just plain distracting!
I'm fine with it. Done naturally, I love it - but only (as mentioned above) when it's democratically done - men and women. I can't stand those decks when it's all bouncing breasts and supine nymphs and then buttoned up males (like the Casanova). Times have changed.

The nudity in the Mary-El is beautifully done. You could almost not notice the penis in the Fool, so naturally is it a part of the whole. Same with the King of Disks (?) - is that the one - the lascivious satyr. Just beautiful. The artist has very successfully painted a penis - in both cases - that isn't comical or distracting

I really don't get the attitude that penises are for tittering at.

gregory

I'm fine with it. Done naturally, I love it - but only (as mentioned above) when it's democratically done - men and women. I can't stand those decks when it's all bouncing breasts and supine nymphs and then buttoned up males (like the Casanova). Times have changed.

The nudity in the Mary-El is beautifully done. You could almost not notice the penis in the Fool, so naturally is it a part of the whole. Same with the King of Disks (?) - is that the one - the lascivious satyr. Just beautiful. The artist has very successfully painted a penis - in both cases - that isn't comical or distracting

I really don't get the attitude that penises are for tittering at.
It's basically that they just look a bit silly. Many men of my acquaintance concur :joke: But the one everyone throws wobblies about - Druidcraft HM - is well done. One of the rare examples that hangs right :p

prudence

It's basically that they just look a bit silly. Many men of my acquaintance concur :joke: But the one everyone throws wobblies about - Druidcraft HM - is well done. One of the rare examples that hangs right :p
How does a penis look any sillier than a breast or labia flopping about? Sometimes a clitoris is very large, elongated or silly looking.

I strongly dislike the typical male, heterosexual gaze when it comes to nudity, in decks or films or what ever. Some depictions of nudity are equal and kind. Some forms of nudity are all about the fake tits and emaciated bodies, as long as the boobs and butts are healthy enough, it's fine. It astounds me when I see talented artists drawing breasts that look like they are fake and filled with silicone gel or what ever, instead of drawing real, natural and sexy bodies.

I can't imagine that you'd do that, Wooden-eye, I think your depiction of nude bodies would be totally fair and loving. And beautiful. I'm right behind you on this. Go for it!

As for the silliness of penises, I do not agree. They are sensual and sometimes commanding, and sometimes frightening. They are just like women's genitalia. No more no less, let's stop with calling man bits a joke or funny or silly. I honestly don't know how they are sillier than my lady bits.