Reading intuitively

Jennalyn

I was wondering if any intuitive readers could give some advice about *how* to read intuitively?

I know there may be a bit of a conundrum here because if you read intuitively, it's a natural 'intuitive' thing and therefore needs no explanation. But I am not an intuitive reader (I think this boils down to the fact that I am extremely analytical and think too much) and instead I rely on the cards to tell me a story in order to figure out what they are trying to say.

I would love to try reading intuitively though, if it is possible to learn how. Or should I not even attempt it? If I am an analytical reader, maybe that's what works best for me and I should just stick with it? Or could I branch out into both? If anyone would like to offer some advice, please feel free!

GotH

I think learning the card definitions is a must first. Then once you know the meanings your mind will slowly allow bits of information to attach to what you already know. These little bits will come to you gradually then will begin to quicken as you PRACTICE. Once you get these bits of extra info, have confidence in what comes to you. There have been so many times I've seen and felt things in the cards but didn't mention it because I thought they were too odd or way out there. Shortly I would find out that they were very relevant. Learn to trust these extras. It's the key.

Paying attention to how the cards (in any deck) make you FEEL when you see them helps to sharpen intuition.

I believe oracle cards can really help you. Especially ones that don't have any words printed on them but just display colorful or busy pictures.

Switching out and reading with several different decks helps as well.

Participate in the ISG (Intuitive Study Group) reading circle that is held regularly here. They are fun and great for practice. I like to open up intuitive reading threads and exercise my skills with others as much as I can. Regular practice and receiving feedback is really important because it helps to stay in condition.

And most importantly, relax. You'll never get it if you are too uptight and wound up! Relax. :smoker:

I'm sure there are many past threads on this site that discuss intuitive reading skills. You could try doing a search to find these threads that have plenty of pointers from others who read intuitively. Good luck. :)

rwcarter

Participate in the ISG (Intuitive Study Group) reading circle that is held regularly here.
This! The ISG helped to change the way I read, teaching me how to read the imagery on the cards, which helps a lot when I use the Garden of Priapus in the Reading with Erotic Decks exchange since that's definitely some non-standard imaergy!

Grizabella

I've found that using decks with illustrations that differ from the norm is a huge help in reading intuitively. I agree with GotH that learning the card meanings really well is key, but from that "springboard" your intuition will work wonders.

I've had this on my mind for several days now, trying to figure out how to explain the way it works best for me. I second Rodney's invitation to take part in the reading intuitively sub-forum because that will help you much more than anyone trying to explain what's actually not explainable. It's something you have to experience and it's never the same reading-to-reading so it's hard to explain to someone else accurately. At least, it is for me.

Citrin

I've found that using decks with illustrations that differ from the norm is a huge help in reading intuitively. I agree with GotH that learning the card meanings really well is key, but from that "springboard" your intuition will work wonders.

This! Get a deck that strays from your regular tarot deck, and don't touch the guidebook/LWB! ;) If you make associations with the meanings you know already, that's fine, but as much as possible, let it come to you. Sit with the reading, and try to get a feel for the cards (otherwise, why even have cards? ;)). I also read the cards as a story unfolding in front of me, looking at what is happening in the cards, but when little "intuitive hits" strike I make notice of them.

flipperjane

This! The ISG helped to change the way I read, teaching me how to read the imagery on the cards, which helps a lot when I use the Garden of Priapus in the Reading with Erotic Decks exchange since that's definitely some non-standard imaergy!

Is there a link yo the ISG?
I, too, am interested in this.
Thank you

Laurelle

Meditation

I put myself into a state of altered consciousness. It's basically meditation.

I have different techniques for this. But I essentially calm my mind and start focusing on deeper than normal breathing.

Three Techniques:

1. You can image a pillar of light going through your body and swirling back around into your heart chakra making a big loop.

2. Count down from 7. Breath in and see an indigo 7. When you breathe out erase the indigo 7. Now breathe in again and see a purple 6.....continue this with the chain of chakra colors down to 0, which is white. This technique helps relax you and focus you on concentrating in an altered state. <---This was a technique that I got from a book called "Love Magic" that I got in 1992 from my mom's friend...ugh...I can't remember the authors name, but she's a famous wiccan. This was exactly how I started meditating. The book was more helpful to me on figuring out how to meditate than love spells!I even used this technique to put clients in an altered state during my massage/chakra healing sessions I use to do. It's very effective.

3. I read a poem or something that I've known all my life. For example, the Nicene Creed (I went to a catholic school) or the Patterns on the Trestleboard (Case).

After I'm in the altered state :
I then ask permission from the higher uppers, permission of the soul I am reading for, and permission for information to flow through me.

There are other ways to get into the altered state of consciousness. I've been doing it for over 20 years, so I can actually just go into into it now like walking from one room to another. It takes some practice, but it's really simple.

When you know you are in an altered state if you silence your conscious voice you will notice that you are slightly "outside' your body.

There's a good book on intuition that I always recommend to people who want to start meditating. It's called "Intuition" by Osho. I also like anything by Mantak Chia and I love Andoea Judith's chakra book called "Wheels of Light."

Laurelle

I'm back again....with more information....

I would even try meditating a few nights a week without cards. Try some of the great guided meditations on youtube. I like Forbes Blair's meditations and Manifesto Meditations.

For my 10 year old daughter, I put on relaxing Nu Meditations at night. We imagine breathing in pillars of light and out pillars of light. If we have anything negative we exhale then as a piece of darkness. If the darkness is too much, we give them to the sidewalk or (because she thought the side walk was too far away), I placed a crystal next to her bed. I told her to ask the crystal to receive her negative feelings. The crystal would take it for her and neutralize it.

Because honestly, once you can put yourself in an altered state of consciousness you can receive information. That's how I knew my basement was going to flood and then my apartment bathroom flooded. Thank goodness for my late night meditations sessions because we frantically moved out 5 days before the bathroom flooded. I was in altered states of consciousness when I received both messages.

So you can pretty much train your psychic mind to be more receptive and it will go beyond just merely reading cards. This might take a little more practice, but you can do it. Anyone can. You are more than just a body with a brain. You are a soul in a body that is connected to the universe and everything else around you.

celticnoodle

I was wondering if any intuitive readers could give some advice about *how* to read intuitively?
everyone has offered some great advice and I agree with them. But, I'm also going to advise a book that is a great help too. It is titled "Psychic Tarot: Using Your Natural Psychic Abilities to Read the Cards" by Nancy Antenucci and Melanie Howard.

I always recommend this book. I've used it myself and still refer back to it every now and again and repeat the exercises in it. I've used it for exercises in a psychic circle that I use to help with--in helping others to develop their intuitive abilities. It works! Even the seasoned psychics who belonged to that circle got a lot out of the exercises that I got from the book.

I would love to try reading intuitively though, if it is possible to learn how. Or should I not even attempt it? If I am an analytical reader, maybe that's what works best for me and I should just stick with it? Or could I branch out into both? If anyone would like to offer some advice, please feel free!
Of course its possible to learn how. EVERYONE has intuitive abilities--just many people do not even realize it. You need to learn how to trust and pay attention to your gut feelings. You can do it. Anyone can do it. You can branch out into both. Buy the book. Its very reasonably priced--look online--at amazon.com first. Its a small book, easy to use and very thorough. It will ALWAYS be in my library!

Padma

Is there a link yo the ISG?
I, too, am interested in this.
Thank you

go to the subforum called reading exchanges and then look at the top left of the screen, there is a button that says reading circles. Click on that, and you will be in the part of the subforum where the sign up thread is for any given reading circle.

Every month, at the beginning, there is a thread called "ISG sign-up #--- for the month of -----" just find the new thread for the beginning of the month, and sign up there! Partners are usually assigned by the 8th or so of the month, so sign up at the beginning when you can still get in!

In regard to intuitive reading, though it's pretty much been covered here, I think the best way is to only read one card, maybe 2. Allow yourself to wander around inside that card; let certain details catch your eye, and wonder about them (i.e. "wow, look at the sandal on that Strength lady. I can't take my eyes off of it. I wonder why it is red? Red makes me think about strength and power...shoes make me think of being protected and grounded..." on and so forth.

You may smell things, you may feel things, you may have strange words or random associations drop into your mind as you study the image, the colour, the style, the back of the card, the front of the card - all are valuable intuitive meanings.

It's like scrying, only using a card instead of a mirror or a crystal ball or a bowl of water :)