Scared to use my rare cards anyone else feel this way?

Thoughtful

But this reminds me of the "GOOD CHINA" syndrome.... we can't use the GOOD CHINA till there is a funeral or something. So why do we have it?

My Grandmothers always had the best china on show in cabinets. When there was a big occasion they still remained in the cabinets :confused:

Zephyros

I also feel that things should be used. My aunt is one who keeps things locked up, including her mother's good china. A while ago, exasperated at this, I told her that she was basically keeping a cemetery in her kitchen. Had she been using the nice things she inherited it would have been a celebration of her mother's good taste, but not using them was basically keeping a memorial at home. A memorial that takes up lots of space. A reminder of death rather than a celebration of life.

So yeah, unless there is a deck worth millions that is your retirement investment there aren't many decks that are absolutely so rare a valuable that they can't be used.

ana luisa

Please use your decks !!! I use all of mine even though I know some will never be purchased again (too expensive). I agree with daniel in that if you are essentially a collector, then, buy your decks and just look at them. but if you are a reader, well, that's what they're there for ! :) I have to admit there is only ONE deck in my collection I don't dare use. It is about 180 years old and belonged to my great-grandmother. I used it before but given its age, the paper is getting too fragile and even the softest shuffle may damage it at this point. I miss using it though...

Zephyros

It is also possible not to really damage your decks through use, or at least not too much. I have a deck that is neither rare nor expensive, but my main one which I've used every day for the past ten years. Although it does have all kinds of marks and water damage and its age definitively shows, it is still in remarkably good condition. I don't riffle the cards, they're not warped at all or torn. And that's just run-of-the-mill taking care, and not really trying hard. If you have several decks and use them in rotation they probably won't be damaged unless you do riffle them or dirty them. Tarot cards really are easy to take care of.

MizGrace

Yes my Grandmother had China but we used it except for of course the ones which were passed down I do feel take up space. I feel that about some tarot I have and as Padma said feeling freer with items gone I'm feeling this need too I feel its time to let go of the unused keep What I will use and stop hoarding items I cant take with me. Although I have cluttered a lot I still feel I owe myself more space. Yet a house isn't a home. Taking the heart out of it might make it feel empty. When I do usr decks I rotate or Have them sure by side. I have a shadow. Altar forming for sweet twilight and sacred circle. I'm on tablet I messed up my PC lost my drivers no idea how to fix no . I'm going to use decks I got for birthdays Christmas and not used the ones from special occasions... wish I could shift some items.
internet issue on it.

Philistine

I have an addiction to all things old and fine, and I use it all, first and foremost. Same goes for my decks, though I haven't gotten my claws on anything too outrageous just yet. I rotate through my decks and take great care shuffling and handling them, and at the same time I don't think they'll fetch great sums--or I don't care?--so life goes on and so does reading tarot with any and all of my best decks.

I have amassed over the years quite a set of Victorian period Greek revival pattern china and etched crystal. It all comes out for holiday dinners. I've broken exactly one piece in 25 years, a claret glass that now sits in broken shards under a bell jar next the others. I eventually found a replacement, and those holiday dinners are so much the snazzier for using then instead of hoarding them.

MizGrace

I am starting to use my decks now with tarot of the sweet twilight being my go to deck and in the study group.my other deck is sacred circle I dont have the book for it or box I bought it just cards I quite like it though and need time to sit with the images.
I have a few decks like this come across no box or book- Scapini -- and another deck I have forgotten what it is brightly coloured with lots of references to star signs on it. ( the decks a bit yuck!) yet think its a lo scarabeo
I am Wiccan so I like my Witchy cards a lot. Time to get some food cant decide what to eat think maybe a chili con carne yum and some bread to dip.( could always just dip the tarot cards in be cheaper then eating doritos.)