Connecting to decks

andromedastarseed

Have any of you ever gotten a deck and just feel like you didn't connect? I've had the RWS deck for years and never felt bonded to it. Then on the other hand, some just sing to me

dannyboy8406

I'm the same way here. I'm picky on buying my decks, I make it a rule not to buy them if I don't feel some sort of connection looking at the previews of the cards. Even still, sometimes I do get a deck and I'm just not able to make the deeper connection with even after meditating and doing some journaling exercises. On the bright side...if that happens you have a deck you can either trade with someone, or gift to a friend to help them start their tarot journey!

Citrin

Many times. ;) But I always wait a year at least before I trade/sell them. Sometimes I just don't feel ready for a deck, and when it calls on me later on I all of a sudden find that connection! It has happened with quite a few; Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot, Shadowscapes, hmm and another one I can't remember...

Calayvie

Many times. ;) But I always wait a year at least before I trade/sell them. Sometimes I just don't feel ready for a deck, and when it calls on me later on I all of a sudden find that connection! It has happened with quite a few; Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot, Shadowscapes, hmm and another one I can't remember...

I feel this way too. I have a couple of decks I don't feel connected too, but I won't pass them on for a while yet, my journey with tarot has only just started really and I may make a connection with these decks in many months or years time. My taste in decks won't stay the same, and I even look at some decks to buy with the intent of maybe connecting with it at a later date, as I'm busy with what I've got at the moment (these are more if I see something going at a bargain on eBay).
I have changed so much over my lifetime already, my taste and wants in a tarot deck are surely to change to some degree as well.

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

Beanfeasa

Several times, I'm putting 14 decks up for swap, including an original mythic set. It used to be my go to deck, now I can't use it at all.
I got Druidcraft when it first came out, didn't connect with it, put it away, found it again recently and love it now. Sometimes a deck just needs time, but more often, it doesn't happen.
As you grow as a reader, your preferences will change to

Thoughtful

l think many of us have been in the situation where a deck does not say much. l have either sold or passed them on, luckily l did not miss them one bit.

There were two decks l could not get on with but felt to keep them for some reason. Now they speak loud and clear, l had to grow into them.

Buying decks can be a bit hit and miss but l don't regret the purchases because it gave me an idea eventually of what l truly wanted and what worked for me.

To add: andromedastarseed l have never ever been able to get on with the Rider Waite decks, tried so many times but it was not to be.

IndigoViolet

Have any of you ever gotten a deck and just feel like you didn't connect? I've had the RWS deck for years and never felt bonded to it. Then on the other hand, some just sing to me

Yes. The Osho zen tarot. Most are okayish and can be used.

Redfaery

Yes. This has happened to me several times, mostly because I couldn't look at *every* card before I bought the deck. I'm really picky. One or two "off" cards are enough to spoil it for me. I don't use the Mystic Faerie Tarot (even though I love almost every card!) because my significator just doesn't convey the right image/feel.

That said, I used to really, really dislike the standard RWS deck because the colors were so odd. But I've come to appreciate the deck's spare elegance, and it of course is very easy to read from if you're still learning.

Barleywine

Most of the decks I own I don't connect with, for a variety of reasons. It's why I've nearly stopped buying new decks without considerable investigation and pondering. Decks that are long on artistic merit and short on symbolic richness ("pretty" decks) don't move me much, symbolically robust decks that are visually crude are almost as bad, and some decks fail in both categories (fortunately I have only one or two of those). Decks that are visually too dark or light ("gothic" and "fairy" decks for the most part) are not my thing. Decks that are too large or awkward to shuffle get a "thumbs-down" (hmm, where's the emoticon for that?) even if otherwise appealing. But as others have said, there are a few cases where I simply haven't spent enough time with a deck to get conversant with it. These days I read mainly for practical results, not for skill-building or personal contemplation, so I stick with proven tools.

MysticMoonlight

I've felt this way about certain decks as well. For years I couldn't connect to the RWS but I held on to it, used it for reference/comparison, etc. One day, I couldn't stop thinking about it, decided to read with it for awhile and now we get along great. Same with the Shadowscapes. I absolutely could NOT work with it. Off and on for years I'd try and try and try and nothing. Notta. Nope. I'd all but given up completely but for some reason I held on to it. It was always beautiful to me but it just didn't read. At all. Suddenly within the last couple of weeks it has called to me. I was so puzzled and surprised...I give it a shot and lo and behold, it speaks! We are currently building a relationship. At one time I would have never believed it possible.