Tarot reader gets killer to confess in their reading session

danieljuk

This story was all over the UK press today with some tabloids getting very sensational about tarot and a huge picture of the Devil card!

Tarot card reader tells of killer's Brighton seafront confession
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36399935

The BBC version is a bit calmer.

A tarot reader and psychic called Jayne Braiden who is on the Brighton seafront (it's traditional here to have tarot / psychic readers in seaside towns) had a session with a guy who turned out to be a murderer. In some versions of this story she says she had intuition and psychic insight as soon as the reading started but in this version he was very nervous in the reading and by the time she pulled out the Devil card, he confessed to killing a local 70 year old the week before.

She called the police and they said this wasn't an emergency and to wait, so she kept him in the session for an hour, taking notes and asking questions and they came and arrested, She got a full confession!

According to the Mirror version of the story here she got a message he was the murderer from the victim psychically. There is some pics of the cards in the press, it seems to be the Starter Tarot Deck and she seems to have written on the cards.

I can't find details of her actual full reading and not posting this for interpretation because this is the wrong place for that but she did a ten card reading and talking to him she first pulled The Tower, and then the Emperor and then the Devil, he looked at the cards and became more and more anxious and confessed when she got to the Devil. The media also talks about Justice, Death, Hierophant, and others being in the reading. You can see more of the pictures of cards at this news site here, they are the pictures that were shown to a jury! There was an awful lot of Majors there! The murderer got a minimum sentence of 15 years in court.

Well done to Jayne who kept him talking! :thumbsup: :) Don't know if she uses AT as a user but I am sure you will be a popular reader now in Brighton :)
The media seemed quite interested in tarot in this story, even explaining it! Finally good press :)

Grizabella

Wow! I'm speechless!

think

Goodness me, I'm glad it turned out "well". She was putting herself at risk, waiting all that time with him and taking notes, telling him they were waiting for the police. He must have been desperate to be caught somehow, but it could have gone badly wrong.

Grizabella

I wouldn't have asked permission to step out and call the police. I'd have probably said I needed a potty break or something. :p

When I first read Dan's post, I thought the article meant she'd seen the murder in the cards. The guy must have freaked out when he saw the Death card and thought she could psychically see that he'd murdered someone so he figured he might as well confess. lol

earthair

""We joked about the time it took the police to come.

"He was getting tense at that point as I was not only looking for police through the glass doors, he was as well."

Sussex Police later admitted the call had been given the wrong level of priority.

A spokesman said it has been discussed with the call handler concerned and "suitable advice was given"

The police acted with their usual woeful level of organisation and intelligence I see. :bugeyed:
I am glad it worked out well for her. If this ever happens to anyone else I think we can all learn from this and not trust the police to turn up quickly.

MysticMoonlight

I read about this. Good for her and I'm glad that things didn't go awry. Had to be quite intense! Hooray for good press to boot! :)

Laura Borealis

What a great story and a heroic reader! :thumbsup:

Debra

The story says he drew from 52 (or 51) cards. I wonder what that's about.

Cocobird55

Amazing story, and a positive article about tarot.

scorpiogirl

I saw this today on my Facebook posts. This is great. Gives us witches some respect.