Tarot reader gets killer to confess in their reading session

Ace

I saw this also, I almost posted it myself. Isn't it a great story!

Good for the reader!

Barb

Zephyros

Ironically, I think this could actually be bad for Tarot as a whole. Even taken together those cards don't necessarily mean someone has killed anyone. I can imagine the hype will inspire copycats to crucify perfectly innocent people because of a reading.

Dercetius

Apparently, the perpetrator broke down in tears as soon as he looked at the Devil card.

It goes to show how powerful the imagery of the Tarot is. More importantly, how heavy his conscience must have been.

Interesting story, one that could happen to any reader. It begs the question: to what extent does a reader owe someone secrecy? She could've chosen not to report him. And what if instead of murder it was fraud or even petty theft? It is an interesting topic to debate.

G6

Wow, we were just talking about if the Devil card always has to be full on bad in every instance. In this case it sure was! šŸ˜³

Smiling

Fascinating, and thank you, Daniel, for posting! And agree how apt that all cards were majors...

gregory

He got Devil, Death and Justice. I was sent clips from the Telegraph - attached. Slightly less colourful than the tabloid versions. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 144

Le Fanu

Fascinating story. But if you look at the version from the Telegraph which gregory posted, the sequencing seems less mysterious.

Kills someone -> leaves body on the floor for 10 days -> goes for tarot reading -> picks out the Devil - I mean, obviously, before even shuffling the cards he must have been in quite a state. She must have detected this. Anybody would. Imagine, someone killed a man and then went for a tarot reading. It would be impossible to act normally. Then they see the Devil - I mean, you'd go to pieces -> and he does -> starts crying -> "I can see this is not good. Let's talk".

She was a brave woman and I commend what she did - but the tabloid spin seems to be "seeing it in the cards" which it just isn't. I think her intuitive, people-reading skills were what brought this out into the open. You'd just know something was seriously wrong if this person walked in and she saw it as her job to get him talking. It was quite extraordinary how she acted. But I don't think it is spooky or mysterious in any way.

Great story, thanks for posting. I'm also intrigued by the 52 card deck.

Achlys

I agree with Le Fanu on this one. It's not that it was just seen in the cards, but it had a lot to do with the actions of the querent himself.

>I can imagine the hype will inspire copycats to crucify perfectly innocent people because of a reading.
This is another thing I'm concerned about as well. There's really no set combination to specifically point out "Murder" and I'm somewhat afraid that people are going to get crazy when they're doing readings, especially uneducated beginners.

NamasteIndia

i read it here in india in newspaper

i would have freaked out i had some people coming up and confessing about
extra martial affairs and suicide attempts

that was way enough to freak me out

is a tarot reader trained enough to deal with such situation
could the situation have turned dangerous

questions remain unaswered

gregory

Oddly enough, people confess to awful things out of the blue in all kinds of situations. I don't think training of any kind would have made a difference; I think he wanted to let it all out. Sure, any situation can turn dangerous - I've been on a bus where someone said something harmless that got another passenger totally wound up and he started walking the aisle saying he was going to beat us all to a pulp. And priests hear confessions all the time and they haven't been trained to "deal with" this kind of thing. My father heard all sorts from his parishioners - and he was Anglican and didn't do confessions as such. There were quite a few wife-beaters in our community, and they all talked to him. Not one ever harmed him, though one tried once after he had been to jail - and one of the others stepped in to defend him ! ("NOBODY hits our vicar !")

I think it's important to remember that ANY situation can turn nasty, and to act sensibly with anything that comes up. I think this was simply a tricky situation beautifully handled. If the sitter had "freaked out" it might indeed have turned nasty, but she kept her head - without any special training - we can all do that if we make the effort.

As to unanswered questions - I can't see any, myself. He confessed; he clearly did it;, the reader seems unfazed - where's the question ?