Is Thoth suitable for a beginner?

Enlightenment1

As it says on the tin really, Is this deck suitable for quite a new Tarot reader? (I'm only reading for me at the moment so this deck would be soley used for me).

Anyone? Thanks...

dandelion

Why not? If that's what you are drawn to, then I think that's precisely where you should begin! :)

Abrac

There are pros and cons.

On the pro side, if you are just beginning, then you won't have to unlearn a lot of other stuff. You can just work with your Thoth without comparing it to other decks.

On the con side, the Thoth isn't a deck you can learn in an afternoon. If you are impatient or don't like reading you might get tired of it.

You should be able to do some readings with it right away using basic divinatory meanings while you are learning.

Enlightenment1

Argh, thanks guys, that's helpful to know. I am more familiar with Oracle cards than Tarot so maybe these would be a good starting block for me... They always intrigue me when I see them :)

Lillie

It's fine for a beginner.

I started with the Thoth, still my best deck now, 25 years later.

You learn as you go along.

sweet_intuition

Thoth is a deck which is powerful. Those who love it, swear by it, those who don't, well, lets just say "hate" is a strong word.

There aren't many books that explain the Thoth deck, but those that are written (DuQuette's and the Original Book of Thoth) are some of the most comprehensive tarot books ever.

The unillustrated pips can be a bitch to read intuitively with, but with time, you realize they are more intense than any illustrated one. And the re-arranged courts... oy-vey!

At the end of the day. If you connect to it, and you love it, then stick to it, cause IMO, it's the best deck there is :)

Kenny

As it has been mentioned there are not alot of books written about it compared to the RWS however I've got a number of good books on my bookshelf--mostly published by Weiser--that I can refer to.

I'm not a pure beginner, nor am I advanced, but it is intresting to see the amount of depth in these cards.

Lillie

I don't see the pips as being unillustrated.

They are not pictorial, like the RWS, but that's really very limiting.
They tie the cards too closely to an act or an action or too a scene.

The Thoth pips are illustrated in a different way.
I find it a lot more interesting.
It gives more freedom for interpretation.
It's like each card has a mood, or a feeling.
The two cups is a very different card from the 8 cups.
I don't know how people can look at these and say they are not illustrated, just because they don't have people in them.

Anyhow, just my opinion.
You all know I love this deck :D

Enlightenment1

Thanks everyone! Some interesting opinions there. I reckon I'm gonna go for this deck, the good opinions seem to far outway the bad :) and I'm deffo called to this deck. Thanks again!

PS: So The Book of Thoth is recommended to buy with this deck?

Kenny

Yes, The Book of Thoth is.

IMHO so is The Chicken Qabalah, and Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo DuQuette;
Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Banzhaf & Theler;
An astrology book or two (or three) might come in handy, The Astrology Bible (Judy Hall) and KISS Guide to Astrology (Parkers) are two that I have and recomend.

Also you're welcome to join me, and CB, Andrew, and others, on our trip through the Thoth Tarot. :)