Princess of Disks

tzuki

I've always thought that she had horns.....isn't it interesting, the assumptions that one makes? To consider that she may be wearing a helmet or some other variety of head dress presents her in a different light. I suppose that I have never considered the characters in the court cards to be human figures and that is the reason I thought she had horns.

By the way, I've always fancied making such a pair to wear myself. I think that they would cause a stir!

phoenixblu

from looking at the pic.. its like she has a headband on
with horns growing out her head :)

Eruditus

All of the Court Cards with the exception of the Knight of Cups bear important crests. The Princess of Wands has two large ostrich plumes. The Prince of Wands wears a crown of eleven rays (eleven is the number of magick). An ibis perches atop the crown of the Queen of Cups. A child's head sits atop the crown of the Queen of Swords...the child's head is of the sort you'd find on tombs. This is intentional. Notice the severed head that the Queen holds in her left hand? That represents your ego. The child's head on the Queen's crest represents your soul after it has been exalted; the Ego has been replaced.

In the Princess's case, the ram's horns bear witness to her Zodiacal attribution: Aries (she's also associated with Taurus and Gemini). The petals of the Princess's pentacle are thirty-six in number--the number of decans in the Zodiac that make up the solar year, which Aries kicks off with his typical Martian vigor. Also, the sheepskin cloak she wears links her to Aries.

The ram's horns, in addition to aligning her with Aries, denote male potency. Notice the Princess's belly? She's pregnant. A very fertile woman. She renews the cycle of the Tetragrammaton--she is the Daughter become Mother.

In the Thoth Tarot, every detail on every card counts. Nothing is irrelevant. Color counts. Flowers count. The number of petals on the flowers count. The number of facets on a diamond counts. Every detail of botany counts. Numbers especially count, as do Zodiacal attributions. Alchemy's a big deal, too. Notice the sigils of the planets that are emblazoned on the card. What does the relationship between the planets involved with the card tell you about that card's energy?

Everything is symbolic. That's the great thing about this deck: It forces you to meditate on it. Indeed, meditating on the glyphs is a form of magic in and of itself.

Study the glyphs. You can stare at them for fifteen hours straight and never unlock all of their secrets, I can promise you that. Enter into the glyph and interact with the divinity you find there.

Hope this helps.

BrightEye

I have enjoyed your answers. If the courts are not human, what are they then? Spirits? Deities (as Eruditus suggests)? And if so, deities that Crowley invented or that he gleaned from elsewhere?

I'm also taken by the idea of glyph. It suggests language and alphabets and symbols.

I have decided to draw the card in order to meditate on it. I'm not great at meditating generally, but drawing might help.