Made 'that' purchase!

Little Baron

Hi everyone.

I have never stepped within these threads before; have been hanging out with the Cosmic Tribe, The Faeries and the Rider Waite study group.

For some reason, I always resisted Thoth and favoured the Waite decks; probably something to do with my tarot roots. Recently, I stumbled on a thread which questioned which people favoured the most out of the two decks. The results were obviously mixed, and as much as I could relate to the people that favoured the Waite decks, there was part of me that wanted to understand what the Thoth readers were experiencing.
I think that it can sometimes be like supporting a football team or their rival. Do you like Manchester United or Arsenal? Were you into The Beatles or The Stones? Do you prefer Blur ot Oasis? Are you a follower of The Waite or The Thoth. In the last example, I am hoping that it is possible to support both and also hope that it is possible to read and study both decks alongside each other. I thought to myself just before I purchased the Thoth deck today that both Waite and Crowley had so much knowlege that it would be a shame to abandon one side and that having both decks could only enhance my study of the tarot. What do you think?

Anyway, I am very excited about working with The Thoth. I know pretty much little about Crowleys symbolism and cards in general so I am hoping that I will be able to start studying it with an open mind and rely on my intuition.

If you are happy to have me, I look forward to studying with you all.

Best wishes

Yaboot

Hedera

I think if you are familiar with the Cosmic Tribe, you will find a lot of things you recognize in the Thoth; the CT is more or less based on it.
I know what you mean about the 'divide' between the RWS and the Thoth, but I agree that it is possible to study both, and learn from the differences.

And hey, at least decks never play against eachother!

Little Baron

I am very much looking forward to studying this deck and a lot of it has to do with the fact that I know so little. It will be such a fresh experience with no preconceived ideas getting in the way.

I think I will dive in and start reading the threads this afternoon.

One last question - the deck that I purchased is the one with the pentagram card. Is there any reading significance to this? If so, how do you read it?

Yaboot

Hedera

I think there's something about that in one of the Thoth threads.

I took it out because I think it's rather ugly....;)

Also, I think there isn't much need to add to the 78 usual tarot cards.

Alobar

i assume that you're referring to the unicursal hexagram card (black with a red hexagram?).

the glyph itself has great significance in relation to the qabalah, but i think it's inclusion in the Thoth deck was as more of a 'signature' card. i would never include it in any readings (but then, i don't 'read' with tarot cards anyway!)