Specifics about Thoth

Athena1988

Hi. I received the Thoth deck last december. I havnt used it much, but im starting to use it more now. I have the Thoth book as well. But i havnt found in either the book, nor the booklet that came with the deck, if when the card is upside down, if it means the opposite. It does in all of the other decks. But because of the whole hostility thing, im just wondering if the upside down placement is true. I dont know as much as i should about Tarot itself, so any extra info would help me a lot. THANX!!! And i just have to say, i think the Thoth deck is the most decorated, and elaborate deck i have ever seen.

Alta

Hi Athena1988,
Welcome to Aeclectic. Please feel free to introduce yourself in New members.

In Thoth, the Elemental Dignities, which I guess is sometimes called 'suit hostility' (although I never heard that term before recently) replaces reversed meanings in other decks. Generally you do not do both.

Reversed cards are at best weakened meanings and the use of Dignities accomplishes the same sort of thing.
Marion

Athena1988

Can you please explain the elemental dignities (suit hostilities)? Im not sure i understand it thoroughly.

BlueLeaf

Generally the Thoth deck is not read with reversed cards. *The* best book for the Thoth deck is Understanding the Crowley Thoth deck by Lon Milo DuQuette. It's one of the most thorough explanations of the deck I've ever seen. It's a relatively easy style to read, but the information he goes over is very complex. I don't recommend starting off with Crowley's own book if you're new to the cards. Give it some time, and when you have some experiences with the deck under your belt, it will make a lot more sense.

Also, I rarely read reversals with any deck.

Athena1988

So, instead of counting reversals, u would just assume its the same meaning no matter what. and im going to look into getting the book you suggested. thanx.

BlueLeaf

Not necessarily. The meaning of the card is effected by the cards around it, the position it's in, etc. I'm not 100% on elemental dignities, but my understanding is that the elemental suit of a card reacts with the elemental suit of the cards around it. If you have water and fire next to each other, that may symbolise conflict, or dissipation of energies.

This is a good website for ideas on studying the Thoth deck too:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2110/

brujablanca

When I first started exploring the Tarot, I madly studied the reversals because thats what the book I started with said you should do. lol. I was so frustrated at first. Then when I found my Thoth deck, I was really confused. But the more I work and study the deck, its getting easier.

I almost wish I had started with a Thoth deck, then I wouldn't have been prejudiced by other sources.

The best piece of advice I have had was posted somewhere in the AT forum (forgive me but I can't remember the exact source). That advice was to learn to just "feel" the cards. I had to get past the fear that I was saying something wrong about the card.

Sometimes reading is a leap of faith. There are no solid explanations at times...it just is. I use my Thoth deck for meditation and affirmations on a regular basis. I use the affirmation suggested in TARTOT: MIRROR OF THE SOUL by Gerd Ziegler for The Priestess; which is "I tust my intuitive abilities."

I think that the beauty of the Thoth is its complexity. You never see the same thing twice as with other decks.

Blessings to you,

Bruja