Dreaming Way Tarot - 3 Pentacles

QueenPen

I have this deck as well (it's lovely) and I've also been perplexed by the 3 of Pentacles. Here's what the LWB says for the upright card: "There are benefits now, but they are insubstantial and temporary, competent but not expert."

As someone else mentioned, this is not the only character in this deck balancing something on their head. I know the Page of Cups does as well. My interpretation is that the balancing on the head thing is this decks way of conveying the 'competent but not expert' concept.

Jack of all traits, master of none. That's what came to mind.

nisaba

Hey I didn't see the bag of money as "falling on her head" this helps.

"Money falling FROM her head." Creativity comes from the mind, not the hands. Her posture speaks to me of impatience and determination, whilst it is her *mind* that will be fruitful. :)

canid

Dreaming Way-3 of Pentacles

I couldn't find a study group listed here for this deck. I've been using it exclusively for a couple of months now & really like it but the 3 of Pents has me a bit stumped. WHAT is that thing on top of her head? Is it a paper bag spewing coins? Is it a folded paper sailboat? I don't quite get the significance, plus she doesn't look very happy but that's to be expected with this card. I'd just expect more 'smug' than sad or angry. Dunno. Any thoughts?

I love the art but all the people look like they have lupus with the bright red cheeks. I see that in the mirror every night lately. Even the 10 of Swords but his cheeks are blue, not red. Justice too.

kimtsan

Yeah I was confused about that card, too...I remember reading the little white book and the author perceived the number "3" as "minor successes"...so the coins (representing success) are tiny and falling out of her hat (I thought it was a chef's hat or something, representing her distinguished status/position in her career). There is a sense of impermanence and a "work in progress" kind of feel associated with this card, I feel...

poeticfool

Yeah I was confused about that card, too...I remember reading the little white book and the author perceived the number "3" as "minor successes"...so the coins (representing success) are tiny and falling out of her hat (I thought it was a chef's hat or something, representing her distinguished status/position in her career). There is a sense of impermanence and a "work in progress" kind of feel associated with this card, I feel...

People have crazy things on their heads all throughout this deck! I always thought the 3 of pents was wearing the kind of bag you get at a bakery. Was never sure what to make of it, except that the "impermanence" of the situation, the potential to lose, is foremost on her mind.

When I look at this card, I tend to think of the RW imagery and conclude two things:
1) She is still an apprentice (her shirt looks too big for her, like she doesn't quite fit in the role yet)
2) Since this card is traditionally about collaboration, and there is no one but her on this card, I feel like it's a reminder that you can't do it all and move forward on your own. You need help to succeed.

ana luisa

I always associated the thing in her head with a paper boat. I thought then that the message was, she is having a hard time keeping things AFLOAT, not wasting money, saving enough to get by. And that's because she uses her emotions more than her rational thoughts (the left arm is above the right).

TarotBeader

Thank you!

I feel much clearer about the 3 of Pentacles now thanks to all of you. I really did not even get that the "hat" thing was a "bag" of money. Interesting take on the usual.

SilentBreeze

It's interesting that this is the first card in the study group. I just got the deck and looked through it and the 3 of pents made no sense to me since it parts with traditional RWS imagery.

To me it just looks like she's being careless with money and not noticing all of it is falling out.

Laiste

There is a thread about this card under tarot decks... 'dreaming way tarot question'. I just recieved this deck yesterday and like it a lot, look forward to work with it! My first experiences with it were very good, blunt and spot on. Didn't had any difficulties to connect and read with it.

Sulis

Moderator note

2 threads on the same card have been merged.