Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

FLizarraga

I'm so much happier with the look and feel. I like a little border, but the unwieldy size of these cards and chunkiness of the black borders bothered me. Now it's a lot more like the majors & aces deck Marie White made.

Tools:
Fiskars Softouch spring action scissors
Sunstar Kodomaru corner rounder (3mm side)
Tim Holtz Frayed Burlap distress ink pad

http://media1000.dropshots.com/photos/1243448/20150327/b_213245.jpg

Wow, I would have never thought of edging a Mary-El in Frayed Burlap, but it looks BEAUTIFUL.

Nice job!

Laura Borealis

That looks fabulous!

Madrigal

Nice work, RL!

Okay, yuck for my current project. I'm trying to work with all the borders on Enchanted Tarot and nothing is meeting my aesthetic. The white borders are easy but there are several inner borders and then there's the top that has the name of the cards which at this point I need to leave on which means the inner borders stay at the top....blech, a mess basically.

rylla

I'm so much happier with the look and feel. I like a little border, but the unwieldy size of these cards and chunkiness of the black borders bothered me. Now it's a lot more like the majors & aces deck Marie White made.

Tools:
Fiskars Softouch spring action scissors
Sunstar Kodomaru corner rounder (3mm side)
Tim Holtz Frayed Burlap distress ink pad

http://media1000.dropshots.com/photos/1243448/20150327/b_213245.jpg
EDIT: Alternate link since dropshots is down at the moment:
http://iforce.co.nz/i/t025vrxc.c3t.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! What a big difference it makes!

Mariqueen

What method do you recommend for guilding/dying the edges? I used an metallic ink pad for a couple and it always left ink between the cards (on the backs and face around the edges) and it drives me crazy going through all the cards and cleaning them up. Is there a method that doesn't do that?

kalliope

What method do you recommend for guilding/dying the edges? I used an metallic ink pad for a couple and it always left ink between the cards (on the backs and face around the edges) and it drives me crazy going through all the cards and cleaning them up. Is there a method that doesn't do that?

Did you do each card separately, and then lay them out to dry? If you lightly run each card's four edges on a good inkpad (I've used Tsukineko quick drying pads), you really won't get any ink on the face or back of the cards at all. (Don't press down with the card as you don't want the ink to seep up onto the sides.) You just need a little room to lay the cards out on a newspaper or something, but I could put mine back into a stack in about an hour without any fear of sticking.

rwcarter

Did you do each card separately, and then lay them out to dry? If you lightly run each card's four edges on a good inkpad (I've used Tsukineko quick drying pads), you really won't get any ink on the face or back of the cards at all. (Don't press down with the card as you don't want the ink to seep up onto the sides.) You just need a little room to lay the cards out on a newspaper or something, but I could put mine back into a stack in about an hour without any fear of sticking.
I agree with kalliope - one card at a time and run the card edges quickly over the ink pad. I didn't use Tsukineko pads for my Pimped Rider, but I didn't have any issues.

teawoman

Rose, your Mary-El looks fantastic. I'm wondering how you trimmed just SOME of the black border, without any edge or line to follow. I'd like to help out my Mary-El too! Thanks.

Rose Lalonde

Like kalliope and rwcarter, I did fine running one at a time quickly over an ink pad (Tim Holtz distressed). Better to press lightly and have to go back over a few undyed areas at the end than to press hard and force the ink up to fleck the borders.

Rose, your Mary-El looks fantastic. I'm wondering how you trimmed just SOME of the black border, without any edge or line to follow. I'd like to help out my Mary-El too! Thanks.

Thanks! There was no strict measurement. I kept my eyes only on the bit of black border I was leaving intact to see that it wasn't growing or shrinking. I didn't cut a side in lots of stops and starts slowly; I seem to do better at an even pace. I noted from test cuts that I had a habit of veering in with the scissors at the end of the card, so I kept that in mind.

To be sure you aren't getting progressively smaller (or larger) cards overall without noticing due to each being just a hair smaller than the one before, it's important to shuffle the already trimmed cards after every 10 or so added to the stack, so you can evaluate your consistency.

The end result wasn't perfect, particularly on height, with a handful of cards that were a couple of millimeters too tall. I shaved it off the top or bottom border of each at the end until they matched the others. (A good reason to leave enough border to allow you to shave a bit on a few and still have room for the corner cutter.) Again - not machine precise - but closer than I expected. They look alright even in a stack, feel fine when held, and shuffle smoothly (well, as smoothly as the sticky Mary-el gets.)

I realize it doesn't sound confidence building to just cut by sight, but this was a case where the size and borders were keeping me from pulling the deck out, so I figured I had little to lose and took the leap. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to do the same. :)