emotions impacting readings

nimblypimblycat

Hi gang!

Hope you're all well!

I have noticed recently that my emotions have had a strong impact on my readings. I have been having a rough time lately with a difficult 'man friend' and it has been really getting me down. When I do a reading for my self I tend to pull cards that are very dramatic, emotional and negative. On top of that they don't make a lot of sense to me or the situation from what I can fathom. Most of!... not all. Could my emotions be overriding the theme of the spread? If so, how do I know if my spread is giving me genuine guidance or answers? As I am a very emotionally strung person anyway.

I also think I do readings too often which confuses me some what! Again, leaving me frustrated and feeling at a dead end with this. HELP!!! how often should i do a reading on one topic? And how can I ensure this isn't being completely influenced by my raw emotion?

Thanks for any help with this.

Nimblypimblycat

Brjv

I'm having the same issue-- I'm completely blocked and don't know how to make sense of what I'm reading. What I'm trying is writing down the cards I've drawn and then waiting until a later time to read them, or read one at a time until I have a clearer picture.

But your emotions definitely influence the cards you draw as well. Try having someone else do the reading for you?

danieljuk

There is some times when you have to have a break from tarot, if you can't get a good reading because there is so much going on, time a short break and come back to it!

Another suggestion is to try meditation or clearing the mind blank before doing a reading. If we are too close to an issue when doing a reading, I think we also have to have someone else do the reading for us. Sometimes we need impartiality.

This happens to lots of people though :(

jolie_amethyst

how often should i do a reading on one topic?

If the situation hasn't changed and it's been less than a few weeks, don't bother reading again on that subject until significant time has passed.

If you asked for advice via the cards and you haven't followed it, don't bother reading again until you have. If you have, make sure enough time has passed for your actions to have made a difference.

If you don't understand what you're seeing, you're too close to the situation. Put the cards away.

If you know you're liable to get emotionally worked up by a reading, put the cards away.

Many, many people do not have the detachment to read for themselves. Others cannot read for themselves on certain subjects (I'm in this category.) You can either get ONE reading from someone else--don't fall into the trap of getting more than one from different readers hoping for a different outcome!--or you can leave the cards out of the equation entirely until the situation is resolved.

One of the worst things you can do for your mental & emotional health is keep reading for yourself on a specific topic that you KNOW is triggering for you. I get stressed about travel, convinced that the plane will fall out of the sky. As a result, I've found I can't read on that topic for myself--period, end of statement, EVER. Any readings I do around it will be both stressful and blown out of proportion. The same wretched cards will turn up every time--things like the Tower and 10/Swords. So I simply do not involve Tarot in any travel plans I have, and that helps keep me from winding myself into a full blown panic attack.

As far as actually interpreting whether the cards are giving you advice, guidance, showing you actual events, or mirroring your feelings, using spreads with carefully thought out positions can make a huge difference, as can forming the right questions. People get very slack with both, and then wonder why their interpretations are so off. Words matter. Make sure you know what you're actually asking--there's a big difference between "what is the best possible outcome in this situation?" versus "what is the most likely outcome?" versus "what do I need to do to GET the best outcome?" The first two will provide you with a picture of what could happen if things go perfectly, and what will probably happen if nothing changes between now and then. The last actually provides you with what you should do to influence events. These are very different things--two are predictive, while the third is proactive.

If you thrown down a positionless five card spread with just a vague thought about what you're reading for, you're more likely to find yourself grasping at straws when interpreting unless you're very good at reading for yourself & can remain emotionally detached. Likewise, if you use a Celtic Cross for a question that's seeking proactive advice about what you should do next, well, you may have chosen the wrong spread. Many CC variations don't even have an advice position--they're designed to give you an overview of the querent's situation; if you are the querent, you probably already know most of what it can tell you! If you read regularly without positions and are confused, try using good questions and smaller spreads, or try a spread with positions. If you already read from spreads with positions, make sure those positions actually reflect what you actually NEED to know. Don't just label a position as "action"--is that action from another person that I can expect to happen, action I *should* take, or action I should avoid? Be clear in advance what a position means, and don't use positions that contain information you don't need. Using more cards isn't going to guarantee a better reading, especially if you're already confused.

Use spreads, positions, and well thought out questions to provide appropriate context to the cards you draw, and you should get more easily interpreted readings. If you've done all that and still think your emotions are coloring your readings on a subject, they probably are.

lillywood

If the situation hasn't changed and it's been less than a few weeks, don't bother reading again on that subject until significant time has passed.

If you asked for advice via the cards and you haven't followed it, don't bother reading again until you have. If you have, make sure enough time has passed for your actions to have made a difference.

If you don't understand what you're seeing, you're too close to the situation. Put the cards away.

If you know you're liable to get emotionally worked up by a reading, put the cards away.

Many, many people do not have the detachment to read for themselves. Others cannot read for themselves on certain subjects (I'm in this category.) You can either get ONE reading from someone else--don't fall into the trap of getting more than one from different readers hoping for a different outcome!--or you can leave the cards out of the equation entirely until the situation is resolved.

One of the worst things you can do for your mental & emotional health is keep reading for yourself on a specific topic that you KNOW is triggering for you. I get stressed about travel, convinced that the plane will fall out of the sky. As a result, I've found I can't read on that topic for myself--period, end of statement, EVER. Any readings I do around it will be both stressful and blown out of proportion. The same wretched cards will turn up every time--things like the Tower and 10/Swords. So I simply do not involve Tarot in any travel plans I have, and that helps keep me from winding myself into a full blown panic attack.

As far as actually interpreting whether the cards are giving you advice, guidance, showing you actual events, or mirroring your feelings, using spreads with carefully thought out positions can make a huge difference, as can forming the right questions. People get very slack with both, and then wonder why their interpretations are so off. Words matter. Make sure you know what you're actually asking--there's a big difference between "what is the best possible outcome in this situation?" versus "what is the most likely outcome?" versus "what do I need to do to GET the best outcome?" The first two will provide you with a picture of what could happen if things go perfectly, and what will probably happen if nothing changes between now and then. The last actually provides you with what you should do to influence events. These are very different things--two are predictive, while the third is proactive.

If you thrown down a positionless five card spread with just a vague thought about what you're reading for, you're more likely to find yourself grasping at straws when interpreting unless you're very good at reading for yourself & can remain emotionally detached. Likewise, if you use a Celtic Cross for a question that's seeking proactive advice about what you should do next, well, you may have chosen the wrong spread. Many CC variations don't even have an advice position--they're designed to give you an overview of the querent's situation; if you are the querent, you probably already know most of what it can tell you! If you read regularly without positions and are confused, try using good questions and smaller spreads, or try a spread with positions. If you already read from spreads with positions, make sure those positions actually reflect what you actually NEED to know. Don't just label a position as "action"--is that action from another person that I can expect to happen, action I *should* take, or action I should avoid? Be clear in advance what a position means, and don't use positions that contain information you don't need. Using more cards isn't going to guarantee a better reading, especially if you're already confused.

Use spreads, positions, and well thought out questions to provide appropriate context to the cards you draw, and you should get more easily interpreted readings. If you've done all that and still think your emotions are coloring your readings on a subject, they probably are.

I wish I could like or upvote posts here. This was awesome advice, thank you.

JackofWands

Wow, I have absolutely nothing to add. Jolie_amethyst covered everything I wanted to say. I agree with her that the use of spread positions can help focus a reading if you're feeling confused, but if the issue has an emotional root, then the best thing to do is just to put the cards away for a while and work through those emotional issues independently.

ritual

Hi gang!

Hope you're all well!

I have noticed recently that my emotions have had a strong impact on my readings. I have been having a rough time lately with a difficult 'man friend' and it has been really getting me down. When I do a reading for my self I tend to pull cards that are very dramatic, emotional and negative. On top of that they don't make a lot of sense to me or the situation from what I can fathom. Most of!... not all. Could my emotions be overriding the theme of the spread? If so, how do I know if my spread is giving me genuine guidance or answers? As I am a very emotionally strung person anyway.

I also think I do readings too often which confuses me some what! Again, leaving me frustrated and feeling at a dead end with this. HELP!!! how often should i do a reading on one topic? And how can I ensure this isn't being completely influenced by my raw emotion?

Thanks for any help with this.

Nimblypimblycat

over the years I made some rules when I am reading for myself.

I never read for the same question within a short gap. If I have given a time frame then definitely not before its over.

I never discard a reading cause it did not make sense. I will write it down and see later if it makes sense.

I read the cards as it is though I may end up coloring it a bit for family.

I never read if I am feeling emotionally low or high.

I always ask for clarity before reading and also hold the cards in my hand for a few seconds before I begin.

I remember these for the time being. If I recall more, shall write again.

regards
ritual

nimblypimblycat

THANK YOU!!!!!

some great responses here. all very informative, insightful and extremely helpful. I appreciate all your help with this.

I think you're right. too much tarot, too much emotion and not structuring my questions and spreads correctly. some great tips though on how I can improve this.

Jolie_amethyst... absolutely spot on regarding triggers. even once I have managed to clear my head and focus a little more I still found that when asking questions around that particular topic I suddenly felt anxious and nervous for the response the cards would give me in case it wasn't what I wanted to see. Even though I new all is ok and there is no need to worry... I just can't help it. so maybe having someone else do these reading is a far better option! Thanks for the GREAT response! you're clearly very well educated and experienced in this! :)

thank you again!

Sulis

Moderator note

A couple of posts arranging a reading have been removed..

Please remember that readings can only be offered in the Reading Exchange.

Sulis - moderator